Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: lateral tear - Getting worried  (Read 793 times)

Offline zeibens

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
lateral tear - Getting worried
« on: July 03, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
Ok, I am offical freaking!
My MRI said I had a "horizontal tear of the ENTIRE lateral Meniscus" I talked with Meg back-and-forth a bit but now it has hit me. This is huge. Can they fix it? Will they remove bits? Where dp they stop? Do they have to remove the entire meniscus?
Do they sew the two parts together?
Any ideas?

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: lateral tear - Getting worried
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:45:40 PM »
It depends on the type of tear, the exact location, etc.  Your OS will probably have to wait until he gets in there.  If the tear is in the area with blood supply, he'll do the repair.  Otherwise they just trim away the tear.  It's like clipping a loose thread off your shirt - if you leave it dangling it will continue to unravel.  But if you cut it, it stops unraveling.  They take the minimum needed to remove the tear.  Don't go panicking over the wording of an MRI report.  Odds are your OS will read the mri FILM, not the report.  My OS never even looked at the report.  And even then, until they stick the camera in your knee they can't be sure.  MRI is not an exact science.

So take a deep breath, and wait for your OS to discuss his strategy for gettinr your knee back to full power.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)