Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: mri reading = surgery?  (Read 892 times)

Offline janealvarez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
mri reading = surgery?
« on: July 03, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
New to the group!  My MRI's impression was: 
1.  Globular signal Posterior Horn of the medial meniscus extends to the inferior articular surface and reflects a possible tear
2.  Bone bruising within the patella.

I bent down, heard a pop and could not get in to see the doctor for over month.  It has been increasingly painful - like sharp knives sticking into the knee - about 50% of the time.

I have the MRI results but cannot see the doctor for another 5 days.....does this sound like surgery?  Thank you. 

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: mri reading = surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:47:44 AM »
Your doctor is really the only one who can give you a diagnosis and treatment plan. The rest of us are only guessing, and guessing over the internet at that. So, for what it's worth...

My interpretation of your MRI results is that there is a signal anomaly which the radiologist suggests might indicate a medial meniscus tear, at the posterior horn. It also shows bone bruising on the patella (kneecap).

MRI's aren't so great at definitively diagnosing a meniscus tear. This radiologist is hedging even more. So, you'll have to wait until the surgeon can do an exam to see if he thinks you have a tear. Some surgeons believe that a meniscus tear always needs to be treated surgically, some believe that some kinds of tears can be left alone for a period of time to see if they heal, before going ahead with surgery.

So, you may or may not have a tear, and it may or may not be surgical. How's that for a definite opinion?

The bone bruising on the patella should resolve on its own. Odds are that it would be fairly painful, but it should heal in time.

Welcome to the boards!

Meg