Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: kneecap jumping  (Read 815 times)

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
kneecap jumping
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:32:59 AM »
I am having problems with my kneecap jumping.  When I saw the Emergency Room Doctor he was to worried about what turned out to be a nonexistant fracture to look at my kneecap.  When I saw my OS the next day he said he couldn't know what was wrong without seeing my kneecap jump.  Of course it wouldn't do it in the office. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong.

On that knee I have had
Lateral Release Dec 98
Scope  Dec 99
ACL Replacement May 00
Hardware replacement Oct 00
Scar Tissue Removal  May 01
Bone Spur Removal (Back of Kneecap)  Aug 05.

Thanks
B
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: kneecap jumping
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »
Hi,

Im not a doctor but it sounds as though your kneecap could be subluxing (jumping out of the trochlear groove), you could have a maltracking patella, you really need to go back to an orthopaedic surgeon to get a proper diagnosis.  Going by personal experience, since you are an ex-gymnast I take it you have very flexible joints?  You could also be hypermobile which can cause no end of knee problems, get yourself checked out by a professional first and see what they come up with, I do this as soon as you can because each time your kneecap subluxes it is damaging the underlying cartilage which can lead to osteoarthritis.  In my case, my kneecap ran in track fine until about 90 degrees then it popped over to the lateral side, fortunately the OS could quite clearly see it happen so I guess it is more difficult to get a diagnosis if he can't see it happening but I would have thought he would still get an idea of the problem.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
Re: kneecap jumping
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »
Natalie

Thanks,  you are right about the hypermobile joints (all of my joints ar hypermobile).  My OS is one of the best in my area.  He knows I have some subluxing.  My problem is that my knee cap is suddenly jumping to the medial side instead of the lateral.  Thanks for the information on the cartilage damage leading to osteoarthritis, I had forgotten about that possiblity.
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace