Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Loose LCL after TKR  (Read 3314 times)

Offline TKAat50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose LCL after TKR
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:02:30 PM »
Help!

I have had 3 surgeries in 7 months on my left knee.  April '05 partial knee replacement, June '05 clean-up, then October '05 a total knee replacement.   I was told after the last one ' oops, I guess I left too much slop in there'.  Now this doc has retired and I have been sent to a revision surgeon.  My LCL is looser than any of the docs have ever seen... however... they cannot do a revision now because they also say they have to replace the insert with a larger one - and I already have the largest.  So.. that means I have to wear a LCL brace until the knee fails completely.

What I am wondering is why they have to replace the insert if all that is wrong is a loose LCL.  I was told it was so loose that they can actually cut it and reattach and not have to compromise the ligament because there is so much slack.  Since these are all Kaiser docs, no one will say whether there was a mistake made or not. 

I had been fine for all this time until 2 weeks ago.  I stepped off a curb, temporarily dislocated the knee (which the docs say is impossible), and now it has 'gone out' 4 times since then.  Still can't get it to see a doc. 

Has anyone else out there had or heard of a problem like this?  And have any idea on if there is anything else that can be done???

;D

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Loose LCL after TKR
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 04:11:51 AM »
Yes, it is possible to dislocate the TKR. I dislocated mine laterally in January. It came 2 months after I had surgery to remove scar tissue, nerve, fabella , IT band z plasty and lateral spur ressection. I was reaching for my crutches to get out of the car and it bulged way out laterally. When I turned my torso around , the knee snapped forcefully back. The whole episode was excrutiatingly painful. The dislocation damaged my whole lateral side the doc just worked on with posterolateral laxity. I also have 1/8 - 1/4 inch joint space opening. I will be having surgery on July 12th to place a thicker spacer with the possibility of a full revision to a rotating hinge implant. The hinge takes the place of the collateral ligs that are damaged. One of the things I am going to ask is about repairing the ligaments, but from what I've read, they don't really do that with TKRs because they stretch out again. They had me doing PT exercises to stregthen the lateral side muscles to compensate for the laxity but no improvement. I also wear a brace. My knee is unstable, it moves all around ,the spacer bounces when I hit bumps in the road while driving. One month ago it subluxed again while pushing a grocery cart and turning it to the right. It also has hyperextended twice. I have a rotating platform implant which is probably one of the reasons for the dislocation. I think they are more prone to dislocation due to the mobile bearing.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA