Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracture and miniscus  (Read 874 times)

Offline reggieandabears

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture and miniscus
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:30:28 AM »
I am still new to this board, but I have learned so much from reading all the posts.
My question is this, my OS said that he had done a microfracture on my knee because of some degenrative damage,AKA - arthritis, But in reading the posts I see none that say they have had a microfracture of the miniscus, usually only the articular cartilage. Is what he did normal and no one mentions it? He did say my surgery was the second most difficult one he had done. In researching about what he did I find little on this subject and as above, nothing about the microfracture of the miniscus. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
tripped and fell at work Jan.06
Knee Arthroscope April 2006,w/ plica removal, microfracture, diag, OA.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: microfracture and miniscus
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 06:00:29 AM »
Hi there,

Arthritis, by definition, is damage to the articular cartilage, it is not meniscus damage. It is possible for a person to have both degenerative changes in the articular cartilage and meniscus damage, either degenerative or traumatic. Microfracture is a procedure in which tiny holes are made in the ends of the bones where the articular cartilage is gone to stimulate the stem cells from the marrow to form a clot that hardens into fibrocartilage. So, microfracture cannot be done on meniscus because there is no bone there and no marrow to stimulate.

Do you have a copy of your operative report? If not, it would probably be useful to get one. Just call your doctors office and ask, usually you'll need to sign some kind of privacy release statement, but they should be able to give you a copy of the report.

My question is this, my OS said that he had done a microfracture on my knee because of some degenrative damage,AKA - arthritis,

My guess is that when he made that statement he was referring to articular cartilage.

Hope that helps. You can always get a copy of the report and post in on here if still have questions.

Take care,

Jaci

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:06:06 AM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: microfracture and miniscus
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 04:30:26 AM »
hi there,

Microfracture is a suprise to most people that have gone in for basic meniscus problem and wake up on a wheelchair as i had....a painful surprise to learn that i would not walk for 6 weeks! I am 8-months post-op and still have good and bad days with discomfort when walking up and down stairs....you have to be patient and work on strengthening the muscles around the knee as your OS probably told you....be aggressive about it. There is the microfracture board in the arthritis section of the page with other people who are in a similar situation....you can im if you have questions...i'll try to answer as best as i could.

support