Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Eleven Months Post Op and still in pain  (Read 1149 times)

Offline karatemom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Eleven Months Post Op and still in pain
« on: June 30, 2006, 03:07:45 AM »
I had a meniscus repair (sutured with no weight bearing for six weeks) eleven months ago.  Eight days after surgery, I got a DVT and was on blood thinner meds for six months.  I have gone to rehab, been to acupuncture, bought a recumbent bike for home rehab and tried to go back to karate with a very light workout and I am just not THERE yet.  My quads and calves were rock solid strong before my surgery but sooooo weak now.  My OS finally let me try karate again four weeks ago in order to see if that would help build up my quads again because they are so weak that I now have tendonitis in BOTH knees.  Oh, and I had two of those nasty steroid shots in my surgery knee also.  Anyway, I went back to karate and felt like my quads were getting stronger, I wasn't doing anything CRAZY and yesterday I had this horrible pain on top of the tendonitis and just basic everyday pain.  It occurred simply with stretching so I think (I pray to heaven) it was scar tissue releasing.  It still hurts like heck today, with kind of a stinging feeling - but not as bad as last night.

Does ANY of this sound familiar to anyone and is there any hope for me?  I had surgery because I couldn't run with my kids, couldn't go to karate and was in pain everyday.... almost a year later, I can't run with my kids, can't seem to get back to karate and am in pain everyday.  The only thing I seem to have gotten out of this deal is a DVT and a few gained pounds!!!!

Help - all feedback welcome.

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
Re: Eleven Months Post Op and still in pain
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:25:14 AM »
Have you tried to use an EMS unit to help stimulate your muscle and build up your quads?  I have a personal one that I bought online for about $70.  I also have the TENS unit to help with pain and also to stimulate the muscles too - that was $70 also.  Unfortunately martial arts can be hellacious on your legs, especially when your muscles aren't very strong to begin with.  They are great for stretching, but some of the moves can be hard on your knees especially (I take tae kwon do, but am out for a few more months).

I also use a biofeedback machine in my therapy sessions - it senses how much you tighten your muscle and makes you focus on that specific muscle group.  My therapist does not use the EMS units as he uses the biofeedback and I can see a very noticeable difference in my quads in just over a week. 

I really hope you can find something that will work for you.  I know how hard it is not to do something you enjoy.  How long have you been doing karate??
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline karatemom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »
I have had EMS in PT but that was quite some time ago... do you think I should still be going to PT, or doing this on my own?  I haven't thought of purchasing one of those units for personal use, but I will definitely look into it now.

I started karate three years ago and a year ago was no longer able to perform on the floor.  Sadly, I can't "escape" from the "torture" of being there but not being able to be on the floor because my 8 and 6 year old daughters are also involved in karate.  I sit and watch with hope and live vicariously through them whenever I can't be on the floor - pitiful, huh?

I know the karate will be hard on my knees if I continue, but I am all about the "discipline" of knowing your limits and if I can only do kata and light workouts and never progress past where I am because I can't make contact kicks or do sparing, I think I would be ok.   I just don't seem to be able to get back into shape/get strong enough to even get back on the floor for very long to a low level.  Kata, as you probably know, is like dance sort of, and it seems like I should be able to do that, at the very least!

I have another appt. with my OS on the 18th but I have started to hear bad things about her around town (we live in a smaller area) and now I am beginning to wonder if I should get a second opion....?  As I said, I wish she'd cut the whole thing out instead of stitching it.  I feel like if she had, I would be "better" by now.  Maybe that's just part of the "process" for me too.... what do they call that?  "Negotiation" or something ????   

Thanks for your info and feedback.  I'll check into these things for sure and maybe even call my old PT gal and see if she has suggestions.

Good luck to you also.

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »
If you are not comfortable with your OS, then I would definitely get a second opinion.  I feel it is very important to feel comfortable with your OS and therapist.  At least it sounds like you had a good therapist.

I would not have thought about getting my own TENS and EMS units, except a guy I know had his own that he let me borrow a few years ago.  I know how great they are at helping so I figured they were well worth the cost.

Please do not think I was trying to be condescending about taking karate again - I did not mean that in any way (I don't know if you took it that way or not, but just in case   :) )  It is very hard not doing something you love.  I could not look at my uniform or belt for over a month without getting tears in my eyes. 

I really hope things start to look up for you.  You don't sound like a quitter (very far from it) and that is important.  Keep your goals in mind and you will be able to achieve them.
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline karatemom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 05:52:59 PM »
Oh, I didn't think you were being condiscending... no worries. 

Yesterday was a better day, so I do still think it was a release of scar tissue that was so painful the other night, but I am still having my "overall, daily pain" - the underlying discomfort that makes you think before every movement and step.... I just wish I could be normal again (at least physcially - I don't think I'll ever be MENTALLY normal, haha :P). 

I am still considering getting a second opion from another OS and I plan to poke around on ebay/the net this weekend regarding a stim devise.  I'd like to see what one would cost me and maybe give it a try. 

I did get a lot of relief from acupuncture, but I can't afford to do $60 a week... I need relief I can do myself...at home. 

Thanks again for the feedback.  I appreciate it.

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 04:50:31 AM »
Anytime.  Here is a website that sells the same one I purchased.  I don't remember where I ordered mine from exactly   :-[  but the price on this is similar to what I paid.

http://homepage.mac.com/balego/ElectrotherapyUltras/EMS3000.html

1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR