Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Who inspires you?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Who inspires you?
« on: April 21, 2003, 11:14:39 PM »
I'm curious, beyond our everyday loves and role  models--who inspires you?  Who is the person that can motivate you to find 10% more in yourself when you thought you'd reached your limit?

I used to have a friend, who passed away a few years ago--an amazing lady born in a tough situation that ended up causing her to have life long disabilities and paralysis and be wheelchair bound her entire life.  She went on to become the most gifted speech therapist who ever existed, could calm the most difficult administrator, would speak honestly and with justice on any topic that came up, never backed up from controversy or pain or, well quite honestly seemed disabled in anyway.  She was so intelligent and honorable--and I do miss her.  She accomplished more in her life with her wheelchair than any mobile person I know.   I always try to think of her when I'm feeling a bit despondent. Here's to my friend Marilyn...

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

SL99

Re: Who inspires you?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 04:27:26 AM »
What a wonderful thread idea Sylvia. Marilyn certainly sounds like an amazing and inspiring character.  :)

My personal inspiration, outside of friends and family comes from two people. One is the racing driver Alex Zanardi who lost both of his legs in a horrendous race accident 2 years ago. He very nearly died in that crash, and could very easily have given up after losing his career and having his life turned upside down. But he showed incredible strength to survive and courage to now be walking amazingly well with prosthetic legs and even looking at driving a racing car at the very track that nearly claimed his life. An inspiration for his incredible recovery, but also as a man as he has never been angry or bitter about what has happened to him...only grateful that he can still be with his wife and watch his son grow up. I can't help but admire the immense courage and dignity that man has shown.  8)

My other inspiration comes from a man I loved who was tragically killed in a terrible crash when we were both just 22 years old.  :'( His death almost destroyed me, but in the end actually saved me in a way. He was so full of life and lived every moment to the full, that seeing him die was totally shell shocking and left me physically drained and mentally numb. I did a lot of crying and an awful lot of hurting and soul searching before realising that losing Greg shouldn't be the end of my life too but a catalyst for living the rest of it. My memorial to the man I loved was to have the courage to keep doing what he loved so much - living and remember to not be so afraid of life that I don't actually live it. Greg was a wonderful kind and generous man and I genuinely believe that the last gift he ever gave me was courage...because every time I think about putting something off, worrying about the consequences of things and getting scared he's there in my mind telling me life is too short to miss out and giving me that precious gift once more.

Well that's where my inspiration comes from...can't wait to hear other people's stories about the people they admire and who give them similar inspiration and courage.  :)

Love and hugs......Jo
xxx

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 04:59:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Jo--I'm sure it isn't  always easy...but what a wonderful tribute to someone.  I'm glad he was in your life and helped you to become the Jo I know and care about.

Marilyn had that spunkiness too--she could have been bitter about her situation--as a matter of fact, we had an African-American administrator with a really bad attitude that hinged on racism when she worked in our school district.  Everybody was afraid of this guy and he knew how to make people quiver--but not Marilyn.  We were at a meeting one day and he was off on a tirade and she interruptewd him and said, "You know, if I was as mad about my wheel chair as you are about the color of your skin, I would never get anything done." This room became so quiet and he was absolutely speechless--she had hit the nail, his weakness, right on the head.  After that, he was still a  grumpy old guy--but he was totally civil and respectful with her.   It was awesome.  

She went to my church too--and was vice president of our teacher's  union.   She could  do anything--raised the money to rebuild the roof on out church.    Nobody thought we would ever get tht pot of funds together, but she did it...She left the world a far better  place for having been here...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 10:26:04 PM »
I have a number of inspirational person whom I can draw on to spur me on

I also very much admire Alex Zinardi the racing driver  who had the horrific crash which lost him both of his legs, I remember watching something on the TV recently showing his first steps on prothetic limbs and I was flabberaghasted, this man who could have laid down & ded was given his all into something amazing.

Secondly, Chritopher Reeve, for obvious reasons, the fact that he has so much determination yet he gives so much hope to people, it's beyond belief.

Thirdly I went to school with a boy called Geoffrey, he had leukeamia and died when we we 6 or 7, he was mad bad and so funny, you'd never known he was ill because he would stand up & do magic shows & teach us songs he had learnt on visits to hospital. He said to always value your friend as you never knew when you would need them & even if you didn't like someone, make an effort, get to know them & you'll end up being friends.

Iona

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 03:50:06 PM »
I was always a fan of Douglas Bader's, he was a hard (read flint hard!) tough as nails old b......!  He never whinged about his lot and just got on with encouraging others to be better than they thought they could be.  

Any bloke who can give the German Army a run for its money on "tin legs" circa 1943 is certainly most worthy of respect.

Never give up, Never, Never, NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

SL99

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 03:04:54 AM »
Wow, what a lot of inspiring people!  :)

Sylvia, thankyou for your kind words about Greg. It is hard somedays, in fact yesterday should have been his 28th birthday so it was a real emotional time. God, I still miss him terribly...but like I say he lives on by inspiring me to make the most of the life I have. He really was and still is my hero and inspiration.

Marilyn sounds like a really wonderful person, a girl right out of my own heart! I'd loved to have met such a spunky character and I can certainly understand her being an inspiration to you. I reckon she and Greg must have come from the same batch!  ;)

Iona - Alex Zanardi is such an amazing guy isn't he? I saw him recently at a CART race and he's walking almost normall, without sticks on his prosthetic legs now. The most awesome thing though is that he's going to act as grand marshal at the race track where he had his accident in Germany next month...and is even planning to do some laps there in a race car too! What a guy...I'll keep you posted as and when I get any news on it.

Oh by the way...I forgot to mention another inspiration in my first post: YOU. There are so many people on this board going through their own problems and pain yet they always manage to be there for others in need. You guys support me, encourage me and above all inspire me to keep going. Thank you.  :-*

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 06:41:36 AM »
I think we are a pretty sensitive group and notice the things about each person that makes them special and our relationships gifts...

I do not know the race car driver, but it sounds like he is a true hero, rather than so many  of these criminal and overpaid athletes who get worshipped.  It is tough to notice folks in the public eye who are demonstrating personal convictions and values.

I also agree that there are really a lot of people on this board who are inspirational.   It is so awesome to realize that we have become friends through cyber-space and the work of the kneefuru--and that we can see and feel each special personality and gifts through the words shared on the computer.

:D  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline wendy

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 03:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the great topic.

Coach, is my inspiration. THis man was a father to everyone he touched, yet he was also a friend. He was a middle school football coach and gym teacher and then coached high school wrestling. Yes, I am a woman and no I did not compete in any of those teams. I was a statistion for the wrestling team and had him for gym for 3 years. When I was a Sophomore he got into a lot of trouble. The school felt wrestling was a joke and did not give a penny to the team. Well, uniforms were needed and t-shirts along with varying other things. Well, he stole from the school to pay for these things because he couldn't afford to pay for them himself.

Yes, he went to jail and paid his price. THe night after he was arrested he came to our house to speak to all of us kids. He admitted doing it and said that there was no excuse for what was done. He is now the Principal for troubled kids. He has gotten his life back in order and has made amends with everyone he could.

I know many look at him and see a thief. He wasn't that he was trying to make us kids feel important. He always taught us life lessons that none of us with ever forget. I love the man dearly and always will.

Wendy
began running long distances at age 7. Now I have two knees that have given in to my abuse! 3 scopes, LRs, Patella tendon repositionings, and years of pain. PKR on both. Diagnosed with RSD 3/4/2003.

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 05:41:34 AM »
This really is a great topic.  It makes me stop and think about what I admire and how I want to be thought of.

I am a volunteer hospice worker.  I am inspired by the people who I have served in their remaining days.  Most are in terrible pain but they are more concerned about the people around them, their family and friends, then they are about themselves.  Very seldom do I hear real complaining although they have every right to complain.  They are simply grateful to God for the life He has given them, for the family that loves them,and for the time they had to share and love.  I hope and pray I can exhibit some of that strength every day.

We cannot control all that happens in our lives, but we can control our reactions to those happenings.  
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

support