Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Reasons for multiple and repeat injuries?  (Read 912 times)

Offline MissMel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Reasons for multiple and repeat injuries?
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »
I'm new to this site and have been noticing how many people have several injuries and surgeries listed on their signatures.  It's scaring me.  I recently had my first knee injury and surgery and am hoping it's my last.  So why have so many people had so many injuries?  Do some surgeries have a high failure rate?  Are some people predisposed genetically with bad knees? Is it very easy to reinjure a knee once it's comprimised the first time?  I suspect that there are many reasons for multiple injuries and surgeries but I'd like to hear some stories and maybe get some advice on how to avoid an ongoing string of procedures.

ACL partial tear
MCL tear
Healing Response Procedure

Offline mbr20

• Forum Faithful
Re: Reasons for multiple and repeat injuries?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 04:42:29 AM »
Hi
I guess there's no short answer to your questions. From my reading and experience it seems that some people are just 'constructed' differently and are therefore more prone to injuries, or have an accident, or do alot of a particularly activity (eg. running). As for genetics, I have no history in my family of knee problems however plenty of others on this site have. That being said, my knee design isnt the best and must have been more prone to damage. Also, different activities seem to result in more injuries.

Best thing to do is read about other's who have experienced the same problem and follow their progress on this site. Research your condition as much as you can so that you can do everything possible to protect against further injuries.

Best of luck
MBR
Bilateral PF Osteoarthritis

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:02:40 AM »
For me, I'm genetically blessed with bad ACLs.  My sister and my two brothers have all torn their ACLs at least once.  I'm also a high level soccer player so I've been injuried a lot.  I also, unfortunately, had an OS lie to me about my first ACL tear, he told me I was fine and released me.  I ended up destroying my knee and needing extensive reconstruction. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 01:16:40 AM »
Hi,

I have very shallow trochlear grooves although it's only my left knee I have trouble with. I first dislocated my kneecap when I was 14 and I had no problems until my 2nd year of University. I spent more time in the gym than in lectures (stupid!) and even though my knee would occasionally give way I put up with it until 2001 when I'd had enough. I was referred to my first OS and the rest is history (so to speak).

For some reason, even with all my surgeries my kneecap still seems to have a life of it's own and is sitting on the lateral side of my knee joint. So, in a couple of weeks it's back to my OS again.

I have no background of genetic complaints although my younger brother has dislocated his left kneecap once also. he was trying to get away from a dog and twisted his knee whilst climbing over a fence!

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
Despite a number of lesser knee injuries as an adult, I waited until I was a senior citizen to really damage my knee. So for me it was just the way I landed when I came off my horse rather than an ongoing lifelong problem.

Unfortunately because ACLs aren't generally reconstructed in someone my age, my knee is now more readily prone to injuries than before...Ellie (68yo)
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »
MissMel,

Try not to worry too much, if you follow all the right protocols for recovery then hopefully your problems will end.  In my case I do not have any family history of knee problems but do have a history of osteoarthritis which I also have.  My problems are mainly due to trochlear dysplasia and hypermobility, between the two they are responsible for most of my injuries and conditions, unfortunately my daughter seems to have inherited the hypermobility but so far she has not had any problems, hopefully that will continue.  My main problem is caused by the hypermobility which makes me horrendously clumsy, thus making me fall and trip at every opportunity.

Hopefully you will have no further problems.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements