Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cosamin in the UK  (Read 5472 times)

Offline orenbob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Cosamin in the UK
« on: April 20, 2003, 07:52:43 PM »
Hi there,
I am living in the Uk and would like to know if anyone knows where to buy Cosamin in the UK or knows anyone who has done this.

Regards,
Oren  

Iona_-Uk

Re: Cosamin in the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 10:44:02 PM »
Hi & welcome to the board Oren

I've looked all over the web to trey to find cosamin, do you mean Glucosamin?, I can only find american sites that do it.

Maybe worth asking in a shop like Holland & Barret or GNC if you have one in your town.

Iona

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 11:15:19 PM »
I've just done a quick search and Cosamin is a mixture of  chondroitin sulfate1, glucosamine hydrochloride2 and manganese ascorbate.
Glucosamine and chondroitin is freely available in Boots, Holland and Barrett or you can get it very cheaply through Healthspan which is a reputable mail order firm
http://www.healthspan.gg/
I don't think manganese has been proven to have any additional benefits. Most of the medical research has been done on glucosamine and a bit on chondroitin
KJ
« Last Edit: April 20, 2003, 11:18:23 PM by KJ »
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 05:37:23 AM »
The other formula that is very common is Glucosamine, Condroitin and MSM (Methyl Sulphonyl Methane). I use Glucosamine and MSM (and the MSM is helping ;D). You can it all in a powder (my MSM is a powder) I take the seperately as I am on High doses of some etc because of my body (I take 3g - 3,000mg of Glucosamine a DAY as well as 2 x 1/2 tsp doses of MSM a day). MSM is supposedly hard to get in todays diet but something our bodies need (especially if we are injured or healing (a state I am ALWAYS in <LOL>).
You can look up MSM on the Net try Here:
http://www.anewlife.co.uk/msm.html ;
http://www.dianaking.co.uk/msm.html ;
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline mtb_rider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 09:40:33 PM »
I get my glucosamine and other supplements from www.healthspan.co.uk which has an excellent web site and delivery service ;)

Carlton Holmes

Offline Golfer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 09:36:26 AM »
If you were to read The Arthritis Cure by Dr. Theosakis, which was on the NY Times Best Seller list years ago, he is a big advocate of Glycosamine and Chondroitin Sulfates. He does point out, however, that being that there is no regulation on neutriceuticals (in the US, I'm not sure about the UK), not all formulations are equal.

For example, this whole song and dance about Coral Calcium is hype. What many of these promoters don't tell you is that the waters of Okinawa still have residuals from the bombs that went off in Japan in WWII, coral calcium is the least bioabsorbable form of calcium and is only absorbable in an acid environment--calcium carbonate is the main ingredient in Tums that is used to absorb stomach acid; further that heavy metals are also extracted with coral calcium--lead, calcium, etc. and wreck havoc with the body.

I am involved with the a division of the largest neutriceutical company in the world and get a true story not the hype. I only use this example about coral calcium (which is now the nutritional on parade) to indicate that anyone can sell nutritional products in the US and unless the company has a good Schuster rating, you have no idea if you are getting the stated quantity, more filler than product, minimal bioavailability or actually something dangerous.

While studies show a positive slant with Glycosamine and Chondroitin, you need to realize that many formulations on the market are completely worthless. If you would like more information, e-mail me at [email protected]

Regards,

Golfer

Offline Golfer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 09:39:26 AM »
Correction on my last post:

I mentioned that heavy metals are extracted with coral calcium and mentioned lead and calcium. I meant lead and cadmium. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Golfer

support