Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tips for recovering after patella dislocation  (Read 1541 times)

Offline LauraMac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tips for recovering after patella dislocation
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:48:27 PM »
Bit of background -  My kneecap first dislocated age 11 (I'm now 25). Since then my knee has been very unstable. I had a lateral release in 1996 and a Roux-Goldthwaite procedure in 1999. All was going well (with only a few problems) until about 6 weeks ago when I stumbled backwards, trod on something at an awkward angle and the kneecap dislocated again. I was put in a splint for 3 weeks and by the end of that my quad muscle had completely disappeared.

I've been going to physio twice a week and doing exercises at home and whilst I have no problems walking and I can see the muscle getting bigger, I'm still concerned about a couple of things

1) lying down with my leg straight out, I can't lift it
2) when sitting on the edge of something (eg table) I can't straighten my leg fully

When I try to do both of these, my kneecap doesn't stay straight but moves over to the side and feels like its about to pop out again. From reading this site I think the groove that my kneecap sits in is too shallow.

My physiotherapist has tried taping my patella but I've just read that this is unlikely to help. My main concern is that no matter how strong my quad muscle gets, the kneecap will still move over to the side.

Are there any particular exercises I can do to improve this?

Thanks

Laura

patella dislocation
lateral release 1996
Roux-Goldthwaite procedure 1999
dislocated again May 2006

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
Re: tips for recovering after patella dislocation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:33:30 AM »
Hey Laura,

Is it only the one kneecap which dislocates? Maybe some aggressive physio which isolates the quads/VMO is called for. If this doesn't work and surgery is suggested by your OS, you should have MRI, ultrasound and CT scans alongside x-rays and physical examinations to determine the exact cause of your kneecap sliding like that. Mine does the same thing, but we don't necessarily have the same problem.

There are lots of options open to you right now. I think in the first instance you should talk to your physio and OS to see what they suggest. In the meantime, could you wear a stabilising knee support? These are very effective at keeping the kneecap where it should be and will give you the peace of mind you need to carry out normal daily activities. This isn't a permanent option, but may help in the short term.

If you can tolerate them, take pain meds, anti-inflammatories and try RICE. All this together should help your knee "feel better" overall.

Keep us posted. Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline LauraMac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: tips for recovering after patella dislocation
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:33:54 PM »
Yeah it is just the one knee although I live in fear of the other one going too! I'd like to avoid surgery again if I can help it.

I do have a couple of knee supports which I wear if I'm doing anything remotely sporty. They do make me feel more secure although one of them has a hole for the kneecap which is a good idea, but the hole is too small! So it actually doesn't keep the kneecap in place, just pushes down on it...

It sounds like an MRI scan would be a good idea. How do you go about getting one? They always take x-rays at the hospital but I've always thought it doesn't show you much... just that there's nothing broken.

Thanks

Laura
patella dislocation
lateral release 1996
Roux-Goldthwaite procedure 1999
dislocated again May 2006

support