Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: In need of some encouragement  (Read 3516 times)

Offline tek

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
In need of some encouragement
« on: April 20, 2003, 04:22:21 AM »
Hi Everyone,
This is the first time I posted in this section.  I usually post in the patello-femoral section.  Anyway, I had a TTT on April 1st and things were really going well, rehab was coming along, I was back to work, still had some pain, but overall my OS, PT and me were pretty happy with my progress.  Then on Thursday I started to have severe pain in my calf.  Call my OS...he tells me I need to get to the ER...I go, and I have a blood clot.  I guess it is not a big deal, but I have to take a break from the exercises for a few days until the coumadin (medicine for the clot) gets in the system.  It will only be two days, as I will be back doing exercises tomorrow, but I am afraid I am going to be set back.   :-/
Anyway, guess I just feel like venting.  I think I have done enough of that to my husband!  
Hope everyone else is doing well!
Theresa
arthro sur. leftknee - 1983 torn cartilage
lateral release  - 1984
arthro sur./patalla shaving 1994
lateral release/resurfacing - 1999
Fulkerson TTT w/cadaver bone block for pat. elevation
4/1/03

SL99

Re: In need of some encouragement
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 04:29:47 AM »
Hi Theresa,

Sorry to hear about your blood clot and set back fter doing so well. I hope that it doens't take long for your leg to heal so you can get back on track again, but make sure you take care and take it easy while you recover.

Feel free to vent, cry and ask for help or encouragemant anytime Darl, that's what were here for and I gaurantee that there will always be a friendly shoulder to cry on or hug handy.

Hang in there and think of how far you've come  alreday in spite of your little set back now. Take care and know I'm thinking of you and sending a big heaing hug you way.  :-*

Love....Jo
xxx

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 10:07:48 AM »
Hi Theresa,

My heart goes out to you with this unexpected chain of events--sounds like you and your doc have a good handle on everything.  I'm glad that you were taken seriously and the problem found so quickly.

Your biggest goal is to hang on as you climb this bump in the road and stay focused on your original goal.  I hope that you get better quickly and that the coumadin does its job!!!  

Good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 12:59:10 PM »
Hi Theresa

Of course you can vent here, that is what we are here for.

I'm sorry to hear the recovery hasn't gone as planned for you and I do hope soon that things start to pick up for you.

Take care
iona

Offline tek

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 04:23:34 AM »
Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and healing!!  I feel much better today.  The blood clot is definitely still there, but I am sure the coumadin will be doing its job soon!  
Hope everyone had a relaxing and peaceful weekend.
Take care,
Theresa
lateral release  - 1984
4/1/03

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 11:15:58 AM »
I do hope everything starts to go right for you soon Theresa.

Keep us posted on your recovery.

Iona

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 07:40:47 PM »
Coumadin is a  powerful but wonderful mediction.  I hope it does its work quickly and lets you move on.  Make sure you stay hydrated and rested while on Coumadin therpy...a word of experience being spoken here...

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline tek

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 03:26:14 AM »
Sylvia,
Have you taken Coumadin before?  Why is it important to stay rested and hydrated?  We have been on Easter break, so I have been able to do alot of resting, but tomorrow I go back to work, do you think this is going to effect me?  Any info. or advice is appreciated.  Thanks!
Theresa
lateral release  - 1984
4/1/03

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 04:52:20 AM »
I had a bunch of unexplained urinary bleeding.  I think it was a result of someone pulling on the catheter while I was under the influence of the epidural and I just didn't feel an injury...But the results of those two bags of blood were an extra transfusion, several visits from a urologist, and I'm still technically under his care.  I had to take a bunch of extra antibiotics and have had to have quarterly uring tests and I also got to have a bladder scope.  Yippee.  that was tough, especially with these knees--but he said when somebody does urinary bleeding and they are taking coumadin, it could be a sign of a bladder tumor or bladder cancer and they have to rule it out.  I have to see him again in September--and I'm [raying I don't have a repeat of the bleeding when I have my other tkr in July...

Anyway, drink plenty of water...be very careful and go easy on yourself.  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 05:32:17 PM »
Hey Tek.

I had a similar experience.  I had a LR/Scope/Shaving in September, and developed a huge DVT (blood clot) almost immediately.  The only side effects I had from Fragmin/Coumadin was extremely heavy menstral periods.  And also if I got cut, I bled a lot.  A couple of times they could barely stop the bleeding after getting a blood test (I had to have them a few times a week) when my blood was too thin.  I was on blood thinners for 3 months, then I had another ultrasound and was deemed clear.  I am having a TTT/LR/Scope in a few months and this time am getting Fragmin starting 4 hours post op, just in case.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

support