Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post-traumatic AVN/ OATS success  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Post-traumatic AVN/ OATS success
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:09:18 PM »
I've been thinking about posting this for awhile, but was afraid to jinx myself.   ::)

To make a long story somewhat shorter...My right knee doesn't like to play nice... :P
1994, age 19, tore lateral meniscus in martial arts class - partial lateral menisectomy
1998 - tore ACL walking dog - hammy ACL recon, large MFC cartilage defect
1999 - hit by car, further MFC damage, pulled ACL screw out, had microfracture, partial medial menisectomy
2000 - slipped, tore MCL/medial joint capsule/med. meniscus - had partial medial menisectomy/medial reconstruction

As you can imagine, knee wasn't great after that, but did OK (had MFC chondroplasty in 2003) until early 2005 when we found post-traumatic AVN (avascular necrosis) of the MFC.  I had pain 24 hours a day (whether I was WB or not) and didn't sleep for months.  I actually reached the point where I would have let somebody chop my leg off if they could have convinced me that it would make the pain go away! :'(

Had OATS (2 plugs 1cmX15mm) from lateral trochlear groove to MFC on 4/25/05.  Was NWB for 6 weeks, PWB for 4 weeks and rehabbed extensively (pool/bike when still NWB, quad strengthening/intense PT later).  Returned to full work activity at 3 months and felt fantastic. 

Did fine until 9/30/05 when I fractured my MFC due to another area of AVN around my OATS plugs, with another scope showing no damage to the OATS repair itself. >:(  Was NWB again for 6 weeks.  It healed very slowly, but is now stable on x-rays and asymptomatic.

So...I'm age 31, will eventually need TKR (OATS was stopgap), but likely not for awhile.  I don't do great on stairs or uneven surfaces and can only stationary bike or swim.  But, have high demand job (stand, walk all day) and can work and do normal activities with absolutely no pain whatsoever.  I'll consider that a big success.  I think I'm pretty lucky. :)

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Post-traumatic AVN/ OATS success
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:44:06 PM »
Just one more thing to add to this story:

Officially finished surgical residency as of today.  

Before the OATS I almost had to drop out of the program.  Now I walk and stand and work long hours with really no pain.  I think that counts as a success!!! ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:53:05 PM »
Danielle

It's so exciting to see someone who has worked so hard achieve their goals.  Even though you've had obstacles you've manage to persevere and achieve your DREAM.

Good for you and hopefully you'll have a great celebration.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:55:28 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline thkaa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:57:10 PM »
Congratulation Danielle. Remember to take good care of your "glass" knee. Really encouraging to learn your story.

Sammy
27 yrs old now
10/2000 hurt my knee
10/2003 found ACL broken in 2000
07/2004 ACL recon
01/2005 scope
04/2005 drilling

support