Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Range of motion question after split patella repair?  (Read 984 times)

Offline shultzjr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Range of motion question after split patella repair?
« on: June 19, 2006, 12:27:49 AM »
Hi all,

I am so glad I found this site.  I fell on my right kneecap and cracked it in half.  I went to the local er and they said since the skin wasn't broken they would schedule the surgery seven days later.  Went back had the surgery.  Seemed to go well.  Problem is that I can't bend my right leg more than 30 degrees.  So my question is: if I do range of motion excersizes long enough, will I eventually be able to squat like a catcher?  It doesn't seem to hurt until I try to bend my leg too much.  It is post surgery by 4 and a half weeks.

thanks,
charles......

Offline jm121205

• Regular Poster
Re: Range of motion question after split patella repair?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 01:57:03 AM »
Have you had a recheck with the surgeon?  Will you be starting physical therapy?  Are you in a brace?  I am at approximately the same point with my second patellar fix.  I am in a locked brace and will be starting PT soon. 

I don't know what your insurance/financial situation is but you need to check in at least with the surgeon and preferrably PT to get some exercises and advice on when, where and to what degree you can open the brace and the exercises that would be best for your situation.   Through Kneeguru there are very good descriptions and pictures of exercises that are stage appropriate.  But please go check in with a professional.  You can do some real damage if you start working it too soon. 

It is going to be a long road but you will get there.  I know how frustration that is but keep us informed to how it goes.    Judith
11/1/05 clean patella fracture
12/12/15 shattered patella, emergency surgical repair
2/06 to 4/06 attempting to convince them something was not right
4/26/06 recheck with surgeon: original break not healing and wires from surgery broken
5/26/06 Second Surgery
8/16/06 no more brace

Offline shultzjr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Range of motion question after split patella repair?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 02:52:20 AM »
I went to a public/teaching hospital with no insurance.  It was truely assembly line medicine.  I haven't been able to contact the surgeon since the surgery.  I am diabetic so the healing process is longer.  I have tried a little stretching but I think it is too soon.  My knee area felt a little sorer than usual.  I went to the hospital four times and can't afford any more trips so I will be doing my own PT.  I am a 54 year old white male with more medical problems than I would like to admit.  This is only my second time at this site.  I will be looking around extensively.  Less depressed/glad to know that others are struggling with similar situations.

later.....

support