Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Looking forward to ACI?!  (Read 10467 times)

Offline RichUK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Looking forward to ACI?!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »
Hi Ladee

Sorry to hear about your latest set back. I have had similar experiences of doctors not actually telling me bits of information that are actually very important. I am doing fine at the moment though. I have got through the first six weeks of non-weight bearing and the rehab is really kicking in now - gym and hydro therapy. These have been really good and after the sessions my knee has felt almost normal again - a very comfortable full range of movement. I am still on the crutches but I think I should have worked my way off of them in the next couple of weeks or so.

I hope your insurance company finally gets its act together and that the new surgeon is able to recommend a suitable procedure. Keep us updated on your progress.

Tony, hope you are doing well. It'll be good to hear how your rehab is going . . . .

Rich

Offline tundi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
Rich,

Glad to hear your rehab is going well. I had my 12 week appointment with the consultant two weeks ago which went quite well. He's quite happy with my progress and wants to see me in a couple of months to see how my muscle development is progressing. My early rehab has been hampered by the pain I’ve experienced on the inside of my knee which prevented me from exercising as much as I would have liked. It’s a lot better know and I can do a lot more than before, I’m cycling again and I can do 3-4 miles focusing on my bad leg comfortably without any real ill effect, I do get a fair bit of pain around the implant site if I over do it though – have quite a lot of work to do to build up my good leg ( which is like a chicken’s leg ) and my bad leg ( think sparrow ) - I may have to break down and finally join the gym  :(

Sound like you’re doing much better than me with your range of motion, I’ve lost 10 degrees extension – which is worse than before the op although I’ve not had full extension for years I’d say it was 5 degrees pre op. Also, my flexion is stuck at 130 degrees and I’ve not made any progress with this for 2 – 3 weeks even with manipulation from the physio which really is painful.

Hopefully you’ll be off the crutches soon, I managed to ditch mine between 8 and 9 weeks. It’s a great feeling of freedom when you can finally bin them – something for you to look forward to. It’s also great being able to go up and down normally one at a time without using the hand rails. My only real problem is that the consultant noticed the metal plate inserted after the osteotomy is catching on soft tissue when I bend my knee – something he said we’d need to keep an eye on and he may need to make an adjustment, I’ll just have to wait and see.

Ladee, I really do hope you manage to find a doctor soon who can recommend a suitable surgery for you and you can finally start your journey to recovery soon. A quick question for you - is a HemiCAP the same as a hemi-arthroplasty (half joint replacement)?

Good luck to you both.

Tony
Apr 10 RK - 2nd Stage MACI
Feb 10 RK scope - biopsy for MACI
Dec 09 RK scope - debridement
Feb 08 RK - plate removal
Feb 07 RK  - 2nd Stage MACI & Distal Femoral Osteotomy
Jan 07 RK - scope - biopsy for MACI
Jul 06 RK scope - debridement & Microfracture
Nov 02 RK scope - debridement

Offline RichUK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 09:54:40 AM »
Hi Tony,

Pleased to hear you are doing ok. I have been going to the gym the last few weeks and doing a bit of cycling. The gym I go to have a bike that has a motor so I can just strap my feet in and let the bike to the work when my leg gets tired doing it myself. I am still on the crutches but just playing it safe. I reckon I could walk fine but I am going to wait until the 12 week mark before taking the plunge. I am not going back to the surgeon until the end of August so I just hope everything keeps progressing well until then.

I hope your few little setbacks sort themselves out and keep me posted on how you are getting on,

Rich

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:38 PM »
Hey Tony

You asked if a HemiCAP was the same as " a hemi-arthroplasty (half joint replacement)? "   Well its a bit different they will basically only be covering the lesions... leaving the rest of the chondyle as is.  Minimal bone loss so leaves all options open for a partial or total knee replacement later.   arthrosurface.com  is the website if u want to check it out.

Glad to hear all is going well with you so far.  I go in for a scope next Thursday.... then prepare my battle with the insurance company yet again after this doc comes up with his surgical plan.

Ladee
10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection   6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone  11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 04:35:04 AM »
 Robin,

I received your email ... but it wont let me reply to you ... keeps sending it back to me.   Give me your name on this site and ill reply to you here.

Ladee

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2007, 10:07:38 PM »
Ladee,

I hope things go well for you on the 14th!  I am scheduled for ACI on June 28th.  My Doc mentioned that he was in a clinical trial for a Hemi-Cap and that he may use that on my defect under the patella.  It would be great to talk to you about this!

Take care,

Robin
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
Ladee,

I guess I wasn't clear on my condition, sorry!! I have a  MFC defect that is 1.3x2cm  and I have a defect under the kneecap that is small (do not know measurement).  My MFC defect has gotten a lot bigger since the microfracture in Oct.  My Doctor said ACI did not have a good track record under the patella (not trochlea), but he now says that he may put some of the cells in there since he will have more than enough and I am already going thru the rehab.  He said he will have a better idea when he gets a better look.
Only 2 more days until your surgery; I'm pulling for you!!

Robin

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 09:52:16 PM »
Robin

Now i got ya.  I was confused for a bit about what you were having done.    Yes im all excited ... ill find out tomorrow what time my surgery is for thursday and go from there.   Ill keep ya posted on anything new the doc finds.  Im really hoping at this point there isnt much more than the 3 lesions we already know about.  I just need some arthritis on the tibia to get into the clinical trial ... so lets hope thats the only knew thing they find.

Ladee

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 03:21:36 AM »
Ladee,

I hope that your surgery is early; there is nothing worse than waiting all day without coffee!! :P  I'll pray for arthritis on the tibia; doesn't that sound weird?!!! Anyway, all good thoughts!  Let us know.

Robin

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2007, 06:26:12 PM »
Hey all
Well my surgery was schedule for 2pm  but they took me in early at 12:20 or so.   Surgery went well i guess?  LOL   Anyway .... he removed the rest of the failed OBI plugs and cleaned up the rest of the knee.  SO here is what he found.   Everything has changed since my last surgery in Nov.  The MFC lesion is a bit larger but now appears to be the best part of my knee.  The patella was 15mm .... now almost the entire patella is involved along with some bone.  The trochlea is completely gone including large amount of bone.   Now the LFC which had no lesions at all in Nov .... is totally gone along with a good portion of bone.   They gave me pics yesterday after surgery.   I have no measurements yet .... but they told me to call them next week to get a copy of my surgical report and such.   Also doc wanted a few days to think about my surgical plan.... so im going to call them wednesday and see what he thinks should be my next step.. He did say that it would probably take 2 big surgeries to fix everything and that im not eligible for a clinical trial at this time.   Also said that i have too much damage now for ACI.   So at this point i can only wait.... but atleast for once i have pain meds and for the first time in a long time i have NO pain.   They gave me Toradol along with my choice of Vicodin and Percocet.  Honestly as hard on the stomach as toradol is ... its wonderful  i havent had to take a pain pill since last nite, but my stomach is already starting to pay for it.

Ill keep ya all updated as i get more info

Ladee

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »
Hi Ladee,

Sorry to hear about the results of your 'scope.  Sounds like it's quite a bit worse than expected.  Anyway, I hope your OS can come up with a good plan so you can move ahead & get to feeling better.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2007, 12:52:16 AM »
Hey all

Just a quick update.   Well seems my doc has had a change of heart again.  We were debating between ACI and HemiCAP.  Finally today we decided that HemiCAP would be my better over all option and are putting the wheels in motion with my insurance company.  I will have be having the MFC and the trochlea done.  As for the lateral damage... he said that it was caused by a "generous biopsy" for my ACI surgery which is now off the table again.   So we will see what my insurance company thinks of this surgical plan and go from there.

Ladee