Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Looking forward to ACI?!  (Read 10464 times)

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Looking forward to ACI?!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 01:43:38 AM »
Hi Rich
Well I'm hoping to have my surgery soon.  My doctor has never done 3 lesions at a time before and is consulting with other Doctors that have.  As soon as my doc makes up his mind if he is comfortable to do the surgery or send me to another surgeon the surgery can be scheduled.  I personally cant wait this has been a very long process so far with 3 other surgeries.  I would be happy with a 50% reduction of pain and the ability to return to work.  One can only take so much sitting around.  On top of everything else i have a new "crunch" in my knee, which usually means the lesions are gettin bigger or a new one is starting.  I visit this message board several times a day to read posts so i will keep you all informed as i find things out from my doc.   Its nice to have someone to share the pain and anxiety with.

10/05 Rt medial meniscal tear repair 1/06 synvisc injections
3/06 cortisone injection†  6/06 open OATs MFC
9/06 drained/cortisone† 11/06 biopsy for ACI surgery
6/07 scoped again....failed OBI plugs
awaiting approval for HemiCAP

Offline RichUK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 10:23:51 AM »
Hi Ladee,

Yeah I feel a bit better about the whole thing now I know I can talk to people who are at a similar stage. There are way too many horror stories on this site but I guess if people have a really good experience of the surgery they don't feel the need to come on this sort of site? I am sure everyones experience will be very different. I suppose we just have to follow the surgeons/physios guidelines as closely as possible and keep our fingers crossed. I think I only really have one lesion but it covers most of the lateral femoral condyle and is deep - the bone underneath does not have a very good blood supply and so it is very fragile and is prone to breaking away - I have had 2 ops to remove loose bodies. I feel similar to you in that I would accept any decent improvement. It has got to the stage where it really effects my everyday life. I know I'm in for a long and stressful rehab but the potential benefits way outweigh the possible pain etc. How bad was the pain for you after the OATs? That is my main worry at the moment but I am trying to forget about it and just hope for the best. Another guy on here said that he began to improve steadily after the cast came off and that the cast was the main cause of discomfort.

Hope you hear some good news from your surgeon soon,

Rich

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
Hi Rich

My knee has kept me from working for the last 7 months.  Doc wants me off of it as much as possible, less wear and tear i guess. Ive never been one to just sit around, I was always working or doing something. Now its all i can do to make it to the store to get the things that we need.
 As for the OATs procedure i had... lets just say that when i woke up after the surgery i was very misserable for about 2 hours til they got the pain under control.  Then i was fine until it was time to get out of bed to go home.  Once i took my leg off the bed and it started to dangle....it was bad.  I took the pain medication ever 4 hours for the first 2 days.... so once i got home and got comfortable it really wasnt that bad.  I just had to move SLOWLY to the bathroom and back.  After the 3rd day i only took 1 pain pill every morning and it held me all day.  I was non weight bearing for 3 weeks... then partial for 3 weeks..... and it probably took me another 2 weeks with full weight bearing to get off the crutches.
 As for this cast u speak of for the ACI.... im not sure why u think u will need one?  I am only going to have a brace that locks me in full extension.  Ive not heard of anyone having a cast after an ACI surgery ... unless of course they had another procedure done at the same time.

Offline tundi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »
Hi LadeeStingray / Rich

† Sorry I've not replied sooner- things have been a little hetic ( and I'm a slack git sometimes if i'm honest† ;) ). I also have a single lesion on the femoral condyle, I had an arthroscopy back in July and once the consultant had finished removing the damaged cartalige there was an area of exposed bone approximately 2cm x 2 cm, he performed microfracture and the results were positively underwhelming !!!†

† My knee is now as bad as it's ever been,† I don't know if things are the same with you but once you've crossed everything you used to enjoy doing off the list of things you can still do you're prepared to do anything to get some of them back on the list.† I'm 36 and my first consideration when any of my friends ask me if I fancy doing something / going somewhere is "will my knee be able to handle it ?" 9 times out of ten the answer is no.† I just hope I can get to get back to doing some of the things I used to take for granted, if it takes painfull surgery and rehab that's slow and bloody hard graft then count me in ( I'm also having an osteotomy to realign my leg - just to make sure that i'm in as much pain as possible )

† I'm sure it's going to be difficult, I think we all realise that - hopefully having people to share our experiences and concerns will help.† Rich - I'd have to say that I've never heard of anyone being in plaster after an ACI, i'm expecting to be in a brace but I'll let you know that changes.

16 days and counting† :o !! Good luck to you both,

Tony
Apr 10 RK - 2nd Stage MACI
Feb 10 RK scope - biopsy for MACI
Dec 09 RK scope - debridement
Feb 08 RK - plate removal
Feb 07 RK  - 2nd Stage MACI & Distal Femoral Osteotomy
Jan 07 RK - scope - biopsy for MACI
Jul 06 RK scope - debridement & Microfracture
Nov 02 RK scope - debridement

Offline gammyknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 11:26:42 PM »
There seems to be alot of concern that this site is full of horror stories. From my point of view I had 3D MACI (first one in UK) in November and feel very positive about the procedure. Like Tundi I had a lesion on my femoral condyle (similar size) and, like Tundi when the defect was discovered (in May) my oS performed microfracture which did OK but not good enough. You can check my progress in more detail on my post 'MACI using CaReS system but basically: without it my bone would've worn away further and i'd have needed a knee replacement in the next few years (I'm 38) so why not give this a go, yes it was painful initially (mainly because of the operation) but I've had little pain since , and you need to be patient with rehab but you will make progress, if slowly.

All this positivity may change when I get the results of my scan on Thursday at my 12 week appointment but to date I haven't had any major setbacks, the knee feels pretty good, I'm off crutches and my quad is getting stronger.

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 04:43:48 AM »
Tony, Grammy, Rich

Tony i have to agree with your, at this point im going crazy waiting for them to schedule the surgery.† I cant wait to get the rehab started.† I know its a long haul, but whats a year if it gets me back to doing some of the things i like to do.† All my problems started 17 months ago and they just keep getting worse.†
I dont look at the stories on this site as "horror"† i like to know what im gettin into from someone that has been there.† Doctors are not always the best to explain the "little" things that we will have to go through.
Ill be counting the days down with you to your sugery.† My doctor is due to call me on the 8th with my "game plan" for the surgery.
Please keep us posted on how things are going

Ladee

Offline tundi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
gammyknee,

† Good luck with your scan today, I'm sure you'll be updating your thread to let everyone know how it went - I'll check it out later.

Tony

Offline RichUK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
Hi guys,

Just wondered whether you were from the UK, US or where? The surgeon who did my harvest told me that I would be in plaster for 2-3 weeks and a guy on here (JulianUK) has told me that he was in plaster afterwards too - he had his at the Royal National Orthopaedic and thats where mine is so perhaps they have their own procedure? I know it differs quite a bit between Uk and US. Tony, I totally know where you are coming from in terms of not being able to do much. I gave up sport long ago and I'm probably one of the few 27 year old PE teachers who finds walking a challenge,, let alone running, rugby, football etc. I also had a large flap of cartilage removed from my knee and this has too caused me the most problems I have ever had - 5 minutes walking and my knee stiffens up and I get really bad pain in the back of my knee. They thought about doing an osteotomy on me but my medial side is not great so they decided against it. This really is last chance saloon so I'm gonna follow the rehab programme to the letter and be very careful/patient for the 18 months or so until hopefully I get the all clear. JulianUK talks about being extra cautious and he has had great experiences ofACI on both knees.

Good luck to you all and keep us all posted as to how you are getting on,

Rich.

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 03:54:38 AM »
Hey Rich

Yes im from the US, guess there is a big difference in post-op management.  I just received a call from my doctor today. He feels my case is too complicated for him to do. So now he is sending me to another doctor in Boston for the surgery.  Im not real happy about having to go so far away from home, but if this is what it takes to get me back to work then i have no choice.  I hope it doesnt take too long to get in to see this new doctor.  I'll keep ya posted as i get more information as to the "when and where" for the surgery.

Ladee

Offline tundi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 04:02:19 PM »
Hi Rich / Ladee,

Hope everything is going well with you both. I got out of hospital yesterday after having my second stage ACI and a femoral osteotomy last Thursday (22nd ). Every thing seemed to go well and my OS was very happy with my initial progress.  OK, so on to the pain issue ( which had been a concern for us all after reading previous posts ), I donít want to tempt fate ( and Iím sure Iíll p155 some people off a little  :-[ ) but I havenít had any  :o.  I was on a PCA overnight ( came back from surgery about 10pm ) and was never actually in pain when I used it but didnít want to take any risks, just taking paracetamol and ibuprofen now 4 times a day ( plus plenty of ice for the swelling )Ė and again, never because I am in pain, just as a preventative measure, I plan to cut down / phase them out over the next couple of days Ė It would seem Iíve bee very lucky indeed.

My main concern now is that Iím super paranoid about doing anything to damage the graft, Iím sure itís quite normal but Iíll be devastated if this procedure doesnít work and itís down to something Iíve done.

I completely understand why everyone hates the brace. Iíve only had it on for a couple of days an Iím already looking forward to a ceremonial cremation of the damn thing in 6 weeks time !!!!  Itís also dawning on me just how difficult itís going to be to do even the simplest things Ė Iíll have to get used to be dependant on people for a while and I think itís something you should consider and make plans for as even the simplest things can be an ordeal. Iíll keep a note of unexpected things that crop up that I hadnít taken into account and let you know.

Will keep you updated with my progress,

Tony

P.S. Rich, I remember you asking about a cast. I donít have one but when I was admitted the nurse was under the impression that Iíd be having one. After reading my notes and discovering I was having the osteotomy (which I believe you are also having) she said that  was the reason I wouldnít be having one.  Who knows Ė she could have made it up, it may just be down to consultant preference, but if thatís the case itís unlikely youíll be having one.

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
Tony,

So glad to hear your sugery went so well, and no pain thats great!  I can only hope that i will be so lucky.  Right now im still fighting my insurance company to allow me to go to the surgeon in Boston.  The medical directors are reviewing it now, they are trying to find a surgeon closer to home for me and having a very tuff time with it.  So now they tell me Wednesday i should get my answer.  Then my next waiting game will be to get in to the doc in Boston which from what i hear can take up to 6 months.  Since i had my biopsy in Nov the clock is ticking to get this surgery done.

Once more i am soooo glad that all went well for you so far ... please keep us posted with your recovery.

Ladee

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »
Hey all

Well the insurance company refused to allow me to go to Boston.  They found a doctor for me to see in Columbus now.  My appointment to meet this doctor is March 19th, so we will see if he feels he can fix my knee.  Atleast its only a 3 hour drive for me to go there ... Boston was a 15 hour trip.  So cross your fingers that this works out for me. ( doc number 3 for surgery number 4)

Ladee

Offline RichUK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

Tony, glad to hear about the good start to your recovery. Make no apologies about not experiencing any pain. This is obviously great news for you and I am pleased to hear some positive news too. From what I have read many people develop some kind of paranoia about damaging the graft. I think there is a fine line between being extra careful with rehab and not doing enough to regain movement and strength etc. A guy I spoke to said it is generally Ok, even falling and stuff as long as you are not putting weight through the knee when it is straight.

On the cast front, the same guy who also had his MACI at Stanmore said he was in a cast for about 10 days. I am not having an osteotomy any more but I have been told I'll still be in a cast - guess different surgeons have different protocols and I suppose RNOH are particularly cautious. I agree with you that this is gonns have a big impact on your life - I'm beginning to think it'll have more effect on my girlfriends as I am gonna be so useless for so long. Let me know how you are getting on with every day things - putting your socks on, going to the toilet, getting your lunch etc. Also, have you managed to find a physio with experience of ACI?

Ladee, good news that something looks like it will be sorted. Lets hope the 19th March is a good day all round as thats when my MACI is. Good luck with your consultation and I hope the surgeon is able to do something for you.

Let us all know how you get on guys. Take care,

Rich

Offline LadeeStingray

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
Hey Rich

Your day is gettin closer!  I Hope all goes well for you and cant wait to hear about your experience.  I finally got all my records shipped to the new doc, so everything is ready for me there.  Crossing my fingers this doc can do something for me.

Hope to hear from you next week after you get home and get settled.

Ladee

Offline RichUK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 08:53:04 PM »
Hi Ladee,

Good to hear that things are still moving in the right direction for you. I am just glad that I will soon have the op over and done with and I can get stuck into the rehab. I still think I am not quite aware of just how much this is going to effect my everyday life but, touch wood, it will all be worth it in a year or two's time.

Tony, how are you getting on with the recovery / rehab? I hope things are still going well and you have some more good news for us!

I'll get back on here and let you know how I got on some time next week..... All fingers and toes crossed!

Rich

support