Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Back to the OS  (Read 1449 times)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Back to the OS
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:33:16 AM »
I'm going back to the OS on August 2nd. I'm approximately 2 months post-op from my scope to clean up the back of my kneecap and my knee really isn't any better. I still have a lot of pain underneath my kneecap, along with hip pain that has been getting worse for awhile. I'm curious as to what the OS will say and nervous at the same time.

Also, while I'm there, I'm thinking about asking for a note so I can get 2 sets of books for school (which starts in 2 weeks). This way I could keep one set at home and one at school so I won't have to carry them around with me all day. I had this last year after my TTTs and it worked well. My school is an open campus (used to be a small college) so it is a long walk to some classes. However, I'm not sure it is appropriate to ask for this....like I might be taking advantage or something. What do you all think? Should I ask or not?

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Back to the OS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:25:42 AM »
of course it is appropriate to ask...   and there should be no reason for either the doctor or the school to deny it...  good luck
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:19:48 AM »
Hey Erin!!

I really want to wish you the BEST of luck at this OS appointment.  You deserve to get an answer as to why you're in such pain all the time.  We are both too young to feel this old, right?! :P   

Keep your head up and don't be afraid to ask anything you wonder about.  I really think you should ask about the book thing.  You're are totally NOT taking advantage of anything.  Carrying around all those heavy books on that huge of a campus can be a real problem with those knees!  I'm sure your OS will be willing to write you another note for it.   :)

Keep us all posted on how it goes!!!!!!

~Mandy 8)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
Erin, best of luck when you go back for your appointment on wednesday.
Must be something he can do for you that hasn't been done if you're not feeling any better.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 08:53:42 PM »
Hey Erin,
Sorry to hear that the scope didn't help and what' s with the hip pain?  Good luck with your apt. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Oh, and I think the two sets of books is a great idea!

;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:09:08 AM »
Thanks Kai, Mandy, Nettan, and Cat!

I went to the OS today (technically yesterday, I guess, lol). It went really well. We talked about the pain I'm still having and he said it's normal. Apparently, I had a microfracture (or he also used the term abrasion) and that takes 4-6 months to fully heal. Currently, I'm at 2 months, so I have a ways to go.

We also talked about my hip. He examined it and said he doesn't believe it's actually a problem in the joint because of where my pain is located. He thinks I have bursitis and it's related to my IT band. So, I'm to go to PT for 6 more weeks or so to continue to strengthen my quads and work on my IT band. If the hip isn't any better when I see him again, then he might give me a cortizone shot.

I asked about pain medication too. Due to my stomach problems, there's not a whole lot I can take without causing a lot of stomach pain. I had been taking Vicodin (leftover from surgeries) on occasion, if the pain got real bad. However, lately I've been getting bad headaches after taking it. So, my OS prescribed Ultracet for me. Anyone had any experience with this?

Finally, I did get my note for school. Luckily, my OS's nurse had saved the one she wrote for me last year on her computer. So, she just edited/updated it and printed me a new copy.

I guess that's about it!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »
Hey Erin,
well i'm glad it sounds like your appointment with your OS went well.  Hopefully those next few weeks will fly by for you!! And things will start to improve. HOpefully your hip will smarten up too.. Sheesh... like you can't catch a break.. can ya?
I am glad that you got that second set of books though.. that would help i'm sure... :)

Anyway... hang in there.

Goodluck

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support