Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: new painpump that been a lifesaver!!!  (Read 2752 times)

Offline 3acldave

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • must check out WWW.AskYourSurg eon.com !!!!!!!!
new painpump that been a lifesaver!!!
« on: February 01, 2003, 10:13:13 AM »
I just had my 3rd acl recon. on thursday and the doc sent me home with something I never heard of with my prior 2 acl recon...

he calls it a painpump. and it works great. No morphine or anything like that. It is a small tube that goes into the knee with a small bag (kind of like a hip pack) that contains some form of medicine and an adjustable dial that allows between 1-7 ml/hour and it basically puts your leg to sleep...really, all the way to my foot is basically numb...and it has enough medicine in it to last for 2 1/2 days...at first I didn't like the dead leg feeling but you get used to it...honestly I am not looking forward to it coming out tommorrow...This is my 3rd acl recon. ( 1st-1994, 2nd-1998) and with this pump things have not been that bad at all..

the little bag that the dispenser is in is black and it reads  ON-Q Post-Op Pain Relief.  there is also a web site written on the bag that I haven't visited yet but I plan to after I complete this post.....it is  WWW.AskYourSurgeon.com

If anyone reading this is facing surgury I would HIGHLY recomend asking your doc for one of these painpumps cause they work great....

anyone curious about my experience with the painpump feel free to ask, I would be happy to share the info...the only down side to it is that I have to remove it myself :-/
at least my live in wonderful girlfriend is a nurse :)

once again, this site is awesome!!!!!
27...R acl 1994..L acl 1997..R acl again on 1/30/03.....prayer heals....

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: new painpump that been a lifesaver!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 12:39:58 PM »
Looks good and sounds Great Dave, I am glad that it worked. I see it uses Local anasthetic to remove/ lessen pain. The only problems  I could see with it for me would be the fact that Local's don't seem to work to well on me (this can be a symptom/ part of  the disorder EDS I have).  I say anything to help surgical and post op pain has to be a good thing and if it has no or limited side effects then even Better.
Congrats on being a recipient of this new pain control device and I am glad that it worked for you. And I thanx for posting about it, as it gives us at least another option to look into for post-op pain control.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
I just had a look at that site, it sounds great. I emailed them a question and asked if they distributed the pump in Australia. The site seemed to only mention America. I hope they have it here as Im off to see my surgeon in 3 days time and discuss my 4th recon. I had a PCA machine for my first 2 recons that pumped pethodine into me for 2 days and that was great but this sounds better. Taking it out myself wouldnt bother me, I took my own stitches out last time and they were the continuous ones.  Hope yours is doing great now. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline SueJ.

• Forum Faithful
  • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 10:08:03 AM »
HI ,
I had one too, and yes it worked great!!
Only my leg didn't go numb, I just had very little pain,
I had never heard of it before my surgery, and I was so pleased.
My doctor just had me pull out the tubes,( There was two, one on each side of my incision.)on my third post- op day, and I threw the whole thing away.
Mine was an infusion of Marcaine. Pretty cool!
Sue
TTT left knee May 17, 2002;  Arthroscopy with Lysis of adhesions,  revision of LR and screw removal left knee 10-10-02.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
:'(Re: new painpump that been a lifesaver!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 05:56:01 PM »
I contacted the company and get an email back from them today. I wanted to know if the had this device in Australia and they said it was but under the name of Pain Buster. I saw my OS today and he wants to do my 4th recon when I feel ready for it. He says he will do a patella graft this time but he'll need to take a graft from both my legs at the same time, seems my bum knee needs 2 new grafts, the ACL and the Lateral as well. He's only operated on 1 this bad before and it worked well but wasn't a 100% success. I'll have to be in a rigid brace for 3 months. Gawd, Things aren't looking real good for poor old Netty  :'(. I think I'll need more than 1 of those pumps. See Ya's
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline 3acldave

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • must check out WWW.AskYourSurg eon.com !!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 10:11:15 AM »
NETTY...

I sure hope your doc will allow you to use a "painbuster"..For those first few rough days It really, really seemed to help..I have heard of no complaints from other users.
Anyway, I it day #9 post ACL revision and things are improving daily. Thanks for all the support you all!!!!

DAVID.....3acldave...
27...R acl 1994..L acl 1997..R acl again on 1/30/03.....prayer heals....

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 02:17:08 PM »
Hey Netty,
why not 1 in each leg to start with, you wont be ablt to walk so, I can't see what difference having 2 would make to you in a wheelchair or bed, except you might actually be painfree. The only time I was really painfree after my ACL reco's was after the 1st one ofr about 1-2 days, it turns out the doc who did it, gave be a full lower body epidural before I woke up from the General and it was GREAT, absolutely no pain or felling for that matter from about waist down  8).
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 07:00:32 PM »
I didnt have a full spinal block but I had one of those great PCA pumps where you can prress the button and get a good dose. I had it pinned to my nightie LOL, I think my finger was on the button 24/7 for the first 2 days. When I had the last op done a year ago , the lateral loop and medial tightening, they didnt give me the pump and I felt ripped off, even the nurses said it was cruel and I handle pain well. I've heard the patella grafts are a lot more painful then the hammy ones, so Im not rushing in for this next one, especially when he says he's only had 1 as bad as mine before and it wasnt a great success. Im a bit sceptical after 3 failures already. My knee is hopeless but I function pretty well with not that much pain, I dont want to go in and come out worse than I already am, especially if they are taking a patella graft from both knees this time. YUK.
See ya's, Netty