Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: middle-age knee pain....advice needed...  (Read 1013 times)

Offline hoops gamer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
middle-age knee pain....advice needed...
« on: June 10, 2006, 11:25:49 PM »
I am 45 years old with 30 years of playing weekend basketball with absolutely NO knee injuries. Then 2 weeks ago, after a game , I experienced soreness and stiffness in the inner right knee. I did the usual ice treatment for a few days, then I played again. It's been a week since I played, but I still am experiencing pain when I go up or down stairs, try to squat or even when I fully extend my leg, and then try to bend the knee. There's also some stiffness when I start walking after sitting for a long period of time. There is no swelling that I notice.

A friend thought it might be my MCL, but all information I've been reading says there should be swelling. I was able to schedule an ortho appointment in 2 weeks but is it going to aggravate an unknown injury by playing again?

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: middle-age knee pain....advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 12:26:28 AM »
Hi hoops gamer,

I would not play again until you see your ortho.  Any unusual pain when doing the things you've normally never had a problem with indicates an injury, and chances are you would aggravate it by playing again.  Two weeks isn't long to wait...best to be cautious until it's determined what the cause is.  In the meantime...RICE!

Take care...let us know the outcome.

kath

Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:07:09 AM »
As a 40 year old athlete who has played many times on various knee injuries, sure you could play again -- but don't be surprised if you injure it more or make the problem worse. You can decide if that risk is worth it to you. As one who's done it many times -- unless it's some sort of championship game and it's emotionally important to you, I can tell you it's probably not worth it.

An MCL sprain is possible, but, from what you describe, I'm betting on a meniscus tear.

And, for what it's worth -- from my experience (12 knee surgeries), you should rest it and wait until your appointment.

Meg

Offline hoops gamer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 05:59:04 PM »
Appreciate your comments, but I can't seem to understand why there is no swelling but just the sharp pains when I bend or twist my knee. Everything that I've been reading about MCL or meniscus tears indicate there should be swelling?? If I wear a knee brace, will that help to get me through the game?

I have 4 more days of rest before our playoffs game, so I'm hopeful that maybe I'll have a miraculous recovery. Gosh, I'm sounding like a stupid jock because I love the game and haven't missed a game for the past 10 years! But at the same time, I know I should be serious about this injury because it will be me that suffers in the end.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
Appreciate your comments, but I can't seem to understand why there is no swelling but just the sharp pains when I bend or twist my knee. Everything that I've been reading about MCL or meniscus tears indicate there should be swelling??

Not everyone has swelling. It's not a univeral symptom, just a common one.

I had several meniscus tears with no swelling.

If I wear a knee brace, will that help to get me through the game?

I don't know...  you'll have to decide whether you want to give it a shot, first, then you'll have to just put on the brace and see what happens. Do you already have a brace, or are you wondering if you go buy one will it work?

I have 4 more days of rest before our playoffs game, so I'm hopeful that maybe I'll have a miraculous recovery. Gosh, I'm sounding like a stupid jock because I love the game and haven't missed a game for the past 10 years! But at the same time, I know I should be serious about this injury because it will be me that suffers in the end.

Makes perfect sense to me, but I'm an athlete and I understand. Again, only you know what the knee feels like and only you can decide whether you think it's worth playing.

Do you have any sports medicine clinics in your area which have clinics to see sports injury patients on short notice? They are set up to evaluate injuries such as yours, quickly, so that you don't have to wait 4 weeks for an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. It's kind of like an urgent care situation for sports injuries -- high school and college athletes, along with "weekend warriors." You might want to look around to see if something like that is available.

Meg