Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hyaluron Injections-advice on these sought.  (Read 3592 times)

Offline DaveS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hyaluron Injections-advice on these sought.
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
Hi,
I am currently suffering from athritis in my knee. This is probably as a result of a meniscus tear removal some years go followed by subsequent pretty hard use of the knee as I tried to continue with most sports as these formed part of my lifestyle. MRI scan currently shows considerable thinning of cartilage in the joint amongst other things.

The knee is now pretty painful especially at night. My surgeon has recommended Hyaluron injections (Duralane & Synvisc it looks like) in the first instance to try to improve things. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has undergone this treatment and to learn whether:-

It helped with the problem.
    How often should these be administered and for how long?
    How long might any improvement last?
    Can there be any detrimental affect to the knee in the short or long term as a result of these.
    Plus anything else that you might feel is relevant.

Thanks.

Dave S.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Hyaluron Injections-advice on these sought.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »
Dave,

Welcome to the boards.....

I've tried injections without any luck, but other people swear by them..... 

Hopefully they will help with your situation.  I've read one injection of durolane lasts up to three months.  That sounds very interesting and much better that having to have 3 to 5 injections.....
The only detrimental effects I've heard about with injections is the risk of allergic reactions.

I've not regretted trying knee injections - it is worth your time trying to find a way to get pain-free........ You could end up having great results.

Let us know how everything goes.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »
I just had my second orthovisc injection yesterday.

The first injection took the edge off .. I am waiting to see what happens with the second one if it takes that pain off a notch as well.

I tell my doctor its my chicken voo doo shot.

The shots are very expensive out of pocket if you do not have insurance you may ask your doctor..if he has "samples"

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »
Hi Dave.

I tried a series of injections last year.I had 5 of them.1 evey week.I didnt really feel any difference but it does work for many people.My uncle I know has tried them and he got relief for about a year!SO I'd say why not give it a try!Its worth it!

Good luck
M

Offline feggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »
I had these injections last November. At first, I didn't think they were helping,but after a few months had passed, I definately noticed an improvement. Now the knee that bothered me constantly feels so good that I forget about it for hours on end...which to me is the proof... I hear they need to be repeated after about a year....I will wait until I really feel bad before I go through it again. So far so good.
Good luck!
complete acl tear w/ meniscus damage 4/05; acl allograft recon. w/ meniscus repair 11/1/05

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »
Hi Dave,

I had the Hyalgan series of 4 injections about 3 weeks apart. I did not have any change. My oa was so advanced it was just a stop gap measure. I would recommend trying it. Some people have good results.

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 03:41:07 PM »
I also wanted to say that last night I felt my leg getting really stiff . So I took out my yoga ball and did leg stretches as well.  I think i been walking so badly for over 7 months I have aches and pains in muscles I havent been using as much.   The grinding pain seems to have gone away.  I am not sure about what kind of pain you had . but i would brace myself for the bone grinding when I stood up. Now i think i am dealing with just working muscles I havent worked in a while in my calf ect.

The doctor said that the pain would lessen in time.  I am keeping an open mind about it.   Also I am getting my unloader brace this week.  This will also help with the load stress.

You have to remember your goal at a certain point is to try everything... before you go under the knife for a knee replacement.

I liken the shot pain to over doing it in the garden pain.  I did have to ice it up friday night.. but thats is ok.. I am listening to what my body wants. and if it needs ice it needs ice.

Offline David 69

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 03:44:46 AM »
Hello Dave,
I have had Hyalgan series of 3 injections, with each injection spaced a week apart.  In my personal experience they have worked for me and helped me out.  Off the bat I really didnt noticed anything but about a month after the first series I noticed improvement.
Around the time of the second series we were moving into our house and with all of the moving, painting and going up and down the stairs my knees didnt bark as bad as they would without the shots.
I have had a total of 3 series of these shots.  The only reason I have stopped is due to insurance coverage.  I tried the cortizone once and for me  it didnt get close to helping at all.
Give them a try and maybe they might help you.

David
09/83 Rt. Mobile Medial Meniscus No Repair
06/84 Rt. Partial Medial Meniscectomy 75%
07/94 Rt. Partial Medial Meniscectomy 25%
06/97 Rt. PCL Recon./ Microfracture
11/97 Rt. Medial Meniscal Transplant
11/98 Rt. Scope Lysis of Adheasion
04/07 Rt. Sciope Remove Loose Body

Offline DaveS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 11:26:46 PM »
Hi,

Thanks to those 'geekers' who responded to my post.

I appreciate what you have all said & the information given. I will most likely give the injections a go.

Dave S.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 08:06:47 PM »
Dave...how did the injections go? I have had Duralane shots. ...much more effective for me than Synvisc. Only one shot although it's like injecting toothpaste. I prefer the Duralane.../sue
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

support