Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: starting from scratch...  (Read 656 times)

Offline ozelapid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
starting from scratch...
« on: June 10, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »
this is another of those "i have no idea about this and i need to know where to start and what to ask" posts.

about six years ago i was sparring in a karate dojo and attempted a left sideways kick with my right leg planted. my sparring partner caught my foot (good form) and then pulled (bad form--do not spar with a fellow white belt), which caused my right knee over which my weight was planted to... i'm not sure, shift medially, i guess. i really don't know what happened anatomically, but it sure hurt. not acutely, like i could still stand and hobble around, but i couldn't straighten my leg fully (i'd say i could get my knee to about 150 degrees) or bend it fully and it wound up feeling inflamed on the inside and much worse by the next morning. i went (via slow hobble) to my university health services, who had me wait about five days for the consulting orthopedist to come round, by which point i still couldn't kneel on it but could almost straighten it out, run, and walk normally--so he basically suggested i had had a patellar dislocation and turned me loose. now, fast-forward a few years, during which my knee has always sort of "remembered" that i had this injury but never directly gotten in the way of my running or working out. but now i've just gone skiing for the first time in three years, and i could feel this ominous twinge and tension like something was going to rip in the back of my knee toward the inside. every time i made a turn that put force on it, that twinge made itself known, and by the time i got off the slopes it was reasonably sore (though no sorer than the rest of my body so i didn't give it much thought). ever since, whenever i've gone running, my knee has reverted to its post-injury state of being sore and feeling inflamed on the inside toward the back, and i can't straighten it fully or bear full weight unless it's in a very particular position. as a result i'm getting a major calf muscle workout, but that's really no good either. any lateral twisting also causes pain.

so. my question is first, what the hell did i do? second, why is it still a mess? third, how do i fix it--what kind of doctor do i want to see, what kind of diagnostic tools should they be suggesting, how much is this going to set me back, and what do i do in the meantime? is careful runnning and lots of NSAIDS going to absolutely screw me up?

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: starting from scratch...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:38:40 AM »
Hi ~ How about finding a good orthopedic surgeon in your area who can first tell you via diagnostics like x-rays and/or MRI just what's going on with your knee? It's very possible that your activities ARE making matters worse whereas RICE along with the NSAIDs might help alleviate some of the pain. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

support