Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: questions  (Read 683 times)

Offline outs1derz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
questions
« on: June 10, 2006, 05:47:11 AM »
hey everyone, i have a story and a couple of questions about my knee and i would love some opinions.

first the story behind the injury.

i was snowboarding, the snow was packed real hard (almost ice basically). I went up for a big jump, had too much speed and overshot the landing, and i landed on the flat ground. I didnt land on my shin, i managed to stay upright, thought bent REAL low to the ground. I dont remember hearing a pop, but i remember the pain! it hurt like crazy, i slowly went down to the bottom of the slopes, and walked (it was painful!) to my truck and came home. i KNOW this was very stupid of me, but i went snowboarding again the following weekend. I strapped myself into my board while sitting down in the snow, and gettin up from that position (sitting on my butt with my feet flat on the ground) was horrendously painful. That was back in early april.

My knee never swelled up or anything. Walking was painful for a couple of weeks. Bending my knee all the way back hurt the most, but fully extending it straight and flexing hurt alot too. Still though, after a couple of weeks, i continued with my same work out schedule i always do. Ive been running 4 miles everyday since about mid april. There was a very slight pain only for a week or two while i ran, but i was easily able to tolerate it. After a short while, i felt no pain while running, only when fulling bending or extending my leg. Ive been wearing a knee brace for about a month know. My knee is DEFINATELY much  better now than its been since its been injured and apart from running i havent really put much stress on it.

I always just assumed it was a torn ligament and that it would heal by itself. Again, i know its probably very stupid of me, but ive always had the typical "im invincible" male mentality. I do lots of "extreme" sports, like stunting motorcycles, snowboarding, boxing, etc. However, Ive been a little concerned just because its been taking so long to heal. I would rather not go to a doctor because i dont have medical insurance through work, and i dont believe my school insurance would cover this type of injury, but i may be looking into that more if it doesnt heal soon.

so my questions
1) does it sound like a torn ligament?
2) ive heard/read of stories of ligaments not healing right and being physically limiting for the rest of peoples lives. How concerned should i be with this? I originally dismissed this because my knee feels much better than it used to..
3) In all honesty, am i just being dumb by avoiding the doctor?
4) This may be another dumb question. I plan on starting muay thai kickboxing in mid july, and the only problem ive had while training by myself is kneeing, i can kick fine, but thrusting my knee is somewhat painful. Should i avoid kneeing with that knee until its completely healed?

Thank you all for you time.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:40:22 AM »
so my questions
1) does it sound like a torn ligament?
2) ive heard/read of stories of ligaments not healing right and being physically limiting for the rest of peoples lives. How concerned should i be with this? I originally dismissed this because my knee feels much better than it used to..
3) In all honesty, am i just being dumb by avoiding the doctor?
4) This may be another dumb question. I plan on starting muay thai kickboxing in mid july, and the only problem ive had while training by myself is kneeing, i can kick fine, but thrusting my knee is somewhat painful. Should i avoid kneeing with that knee until its completely healed?

1) really can't tell from that information and without a physical exam
2) You should be very concerned. The development of osteoarthritis is a very real possibility and that can lead to a very debilitating situation -- read some of the arthritis section on this forum if you're not convinced.
3) Dumb... well, yes. More like feeling young and invincible, but the end result is the same.  ;)
4) There's an old, silly joke about a doctor which goes something like this:
<patient> hey doc, it hurts when I do this
<doc>then don't do that

You have a hurt knee, you're bothered by it and concerned that it might cause problems later in life. Good.... that shows your brain is working.  ;)

Seriously, you'll do yourself a huge favor by going to see an orthopedic surgeon. Check on your school insurance -- I bet it'll cover it, especially if you're less than specific about how exactly you injured it. (which I don't typically recommend, but hey... sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)

Go to the doc.... really.

Meg

support