Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: re-injury of knee  (Read 700 times)

Offline chekina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
re-injury of knee
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:32:00 AM »
Last year I broke my patella in half and I had surgery.  I took me a long time,  but I finally started running and exercising again.  Yesterday I went for a jog around a track.  As I steadly increase my jogging pace I heard a pop in my knee.  I decided it was best I stop running and go home and call my Dr.   Today I went to visit my Dr. he took some x-rays and told me that the wire that supports the pins in my knee cap broke.  He told me that the best thing is to do a small surgical procedure to remove the wire and pins.  I am extremely concern due to the fact that my knee is extremely swollen and it hurts a lot if I try to bend it.  Also I am scared because I lost a lot of muscle since the last surgery and I have not gained it all back.  I am afraid that another surgery on my knee and more atrophy of my muscle will make it difficult for me to recover. 

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
Re: re-injury of knee
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 04:27:24 AM »
As difficult as it sounds... do you have a choice about the surgery? From what you've described, you have a broken wire and it can't stay in there like that. So, it looks like you have to get it fixed.

I know how hard it is to face setbacks, but it also sounds like this is something from which you can recover fairly quickly. You've already proven that you can do it (you were jogging, afterall, right?), so you know you can do it again.

There's no doubt that it sucks the big one and I'm sorry it happened to you. But, attitude is everything, and if you can get yourself to believe that you can handle it, you'll probably have a better time of it.

For the immediate issues of pain and disability, I'd suggest the standard RICE - rest, ice, compression and elevation. Minimize movement, trying to get the swelling down and give your knee a chance to calm down.

Believe in yourself... even through the tough times and the setbacks. And yes, I know firsthand how damn hard that is!

I am really sorry this happened to you... and I hope you get through it as quickly and as troublefree as possible!

Meg

Offline chekina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: re-injury of knee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  Believe it our not it helps a whole bunch.  I have already started RICE and all I can do it wait for Tuesday until I go under the knife.  I hope the problem is the broken harness and nothing else.  I'll let you know how things turn out.