Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What is your dream?  (Read 5971 times)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: What is your dream?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 03:43:56 PM »
My dream is to go scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef!  8) After TKR's maybe I'll be able to dive again.  Right know my knees won't take swimming with fins on.

The other dream is to have good knee days!  I'm sick of having to plan around the knees, even when they seem fine something will happen and boom one or the other is acting up!  ???

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 11:58:17 PM »
Rozzie,

You will love scuba diving the reef--just be sure you take a larger vessel (like motor powered yacht) to get to the outskirts of the reef.  Close in, the pollution and high traffic levels have begun to kill off the coral.

I spent 3 hours motoring to the site where we went diving, and it was quite impressive.  I've had better dive trips in other parts of the world, though--the Reserve Cousteau off of Guadeloupe in the Caribbean was hands down the most impressive for overall diversity, and diving in the lagoon of Bora Bora was the most fantastic for interactions with sharks, giant manta rays, and huge electric-colored giant clams.  Still, the Great Barrier Reef is very impressive--it's size is amazing.  Also, when you go down there, try to get to the West Coast dive destination of the Ningaloo Reef--the world's closest barrier reef to the mainland.  It's very private and quiet and we didn't see anyone outside of our own group the whole four days we were there.

I really miss scuba diving.  But like you, the fins kill me.  And I'm afraid to go diving with the medications I take.  Some day....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline favouritesearcher

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 01:53:07 AM »
There are companies around who organise trips for people who have these problems, see for example:
http://www.wheeltheworld.net/

I trekked to Everest Base Camp before my accident and in my opinion the biggest problem is likely to be the altitude, which made it the hardest thing I've ever done physically.  As for climbing to the top, that's another matter.  Joe Simpson ('Touching the Void') was able to go back to mountain climbing after a pretty serious knee accident while climbing and six operations.

If I had a dream it would be to have a normal knee again and be able to go trekking, but most of the dreams I have at night at the moment end up as nightmares.

John
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:37:59 AM by favouritesearcher »
Mar 04 - Tibial spine avulsion fracture (skiing). Open surgery to fix, 1 screw.  Max passive ROM 20-75, active ROM 30-45
Aug 04 - Diag. severe arthro. Scar tissue clean up (LOA, removal of scar tissue).
Feb 05 - Discharged from surgeon's care. ROM 3-125.
Apr 05 - Discharged from physio. Same ROM

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 01:57:02 AM »
My dream is to be able to take a walk with my family or go bike riding with my friends.  I would like at least one day to not have to sit out and watch everyone else doing the fun stuff because I'm in too much pain to go on.
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »
Heather,

My 2 favorite dive spots ate Bloody Bay Wall on little Cayman.  The coral tunnels start at about 30 ft. and spit you out the wall at 99 ft.  6000ft straight down.  It is so awesome.  The other is Red Hill on Maui always see so much.  Last dive (my last) we say frog fish walking across the sand, rays, swimming Moray, turtle cleaning station, sleeping white tip reef shark in the cavern we had to swim though to get back to the boat.  I have some pictures, that helps remind me what it was like.

How long did you dive?  I did for about 10 years.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 01:54:51 AM »
Dreams, great topic Heather M.

Well, my dream would be to ride my mountain bike, walk the trails and go horseback riding again.  None are terribly unrealistic - just impossible at the moment - but having goals are a great thing.

Hugs,

Shade

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2005, 03:10:36 AM »
My dream is that the next doctor I see doesn't throw his arms up and is prepared to take on a challenge. And, of course I'd love to be able to move fast enough to catch a bus, I'd love to take a leisurely trail hike, and rock climbing.....  Ahhh, can't remember how it feels to run????

What great big hopes.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:14:02 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 03:19:14 AM »
My Dream...
well my what would seem extremely unrealistic Dream would be to get back to my horse career and be able to run my own stable for my career. 

Realistically, i'd like to be able to ride my own horse again and figure out what it is that I want to do for the rest of my life and get on with it.
 ::)

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 03:29:18 AM »
I read somewhere,"If people don't laugh at your dreams, then they aren't BIG enough!" I like those words. So, that being said, I think I will keep dreaming BIG. How about the rest of you????

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:13:27 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 04:50:27 PM »
My dream would be to travel to exotic places. I would like to hike long trails and take lots of photos. I would love to just go somewhere for 6 weeks or so, camping and snappig away... walking everywhere I need to be... No phones, no rush hour, no TV....   *sigh*

I work in an office, with family, so reality is so far off it's not even funny. I really wish sometimes that I could just pack up and take off....

support