Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Still sitting on the sidleines  (Read 1634 times)

beth8466

Still sitting on the sidleines
« on: March 29, 2005, 03:24:55 AM »
It's been about 2 months now and I am still sittting ont the sidelines. After tearing my ACL and lateral meniscus in the first scrimmage of my varsity sophmore soccer season- I was told that I would be out for the whole school soccer season. I was so upset because I had worked so hard in te preseason and I was in tip top shape. Now being March 28th, I have sat through many games and practices. Its so hard for me to watch the season go by and not be able to play. Soccer is my life and I am still depressed sometimes because I haven't had the chance to play. I still have to watch my club team season coming up next month and I dont know if I can stand it- I just get so frustrated with myself because i can't play and I feel like my life is over somtimes. But as everyone keeps saying- "You'll be back" and I believe that because I have been working really  hard but its just really difficult for me to watch all the games. If anyone has any endouraging words or stories i would lovbe to hear them because often I feel like giving up but I know that I must stick with it or else I'll never be back.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: Still sitting on the sidleines
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:16:37 AM »
Hi Beth, I am a soccermom so I understand some of your feelings. When my son was 12 or 13, he was diagnosed with OSgood schlatters disease. He became a goal keeper to spare his knees. My daughter also suffers from it and it made soccer difficult. This past fall, my son got a really BAD coach and he finally just said that it was not fun anymore so now , I am a soccermom with no one to watch :( My son is a Junior in high school and didnt know what he was going to do with himself now that he left varsity soccer and club soccer. He has found himself a job and a lot of new friends and is really enjoying the freedom that he had never had (both kids started playing at 5). I know you want to return to soccer and I hope that you do. With your determination, you will do wonderful but I just wanted you to know, that if the worst did happen, there is life after sports. I do miss it but my son has adjusted really well.
I am sorry that you are sitting on the side lines but you are to be commended for your support of the team.
good luck girl
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:45:44 AM »
stgiles

goalkeeper wont save his knees. it involves a lot of twisting turning and jumping. and trust me much worse imo opinion than any other posistion! that's coming from someone who trained with and was taught by international goalkeepers (Alan Kelly Rep. of Ireland keeper) and was born in  the birthplace of league football! (soccer)

beth my friend tore his ACL a few years ago now. he did nothing after it happenned and wasnt really bothered about helping it along. he is back playing now without putting in anywhere near as much effort as you obviously have! so i will eat my hat if you dont get back playing!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:55:25 AM »
Goal keeping did save his knees. The impact of running was what was so hard on his knees. Twisting does not hurt his osgood schlatters. By becoming a keeper, he played for several more years with minimal pain.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:58:12 AM »
hmm suprised the jumping didnt make it worse! oh well lucky him then!

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 05:20:59 AM »
hey beth~

i know how it feels to be on the sidelines.  i was looking forward to my junior year for ice hockey this year and then have my knee surgery after the season.  well that didnt work out too well.  the season started in september and on November 28th was my last time i touched the ice.  my season only ended a few weeks ago so i sat on the bench from november to the beginning of march.  i know how it is, feeling that youll never get back out there.  ya just gotta look at the bright side of things.  i too got very upset and depressed not being able to be involved.  but you know there are still ways you can be a part of your team.  even tho it just completly sucked watching my girls on the ice, i showed up to every practice and game there was.  i even was on the bench during games helping out and on the bus rides to the out of town games.  just stay involved with your team.  with me having two surgeries this season, my teammates and coaches helped me out so much and really made things easier to deal with.  even tho somedays you may feel that you arent part of a team, dont listen to that feeling.  i had that many a time and would just surround myself around my team and that would make things easier.  so stay involved.  you giving up the team functions, games etc only will make things harder down the road. 

sports teams have such special bonds.  they are very deep and will always be there for you. let your teammates know how you feel.  i know once i told all my teammates what was going on, they were very helpful in helping me with something or just to get some emotions out.  i know its hard, but these moments only make you a stronger person.  if you ever need to talk or vent, feel free to IM me.  i know very well as to what you are going thru!

many hugs
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »
Hey,

Don't give up!!!!!  I commend you for being willling to sit through games and practices on the sidelines.  I must say that I don't think I would be able to have the same determination as you.  That alone shows what a strong person you are and how dedicated you are to your sport.  Unfortunately, you have had to miss this season, but you still have two more years of school left and that means two more seasons of playing and if you are in high school, there is always college soccer.  That would mean a lot of games and practices are still left for you.  There are lots of people who have your type of surgery and return to full sports.  Keep your chin up and hang in there.  Work hard and you will get back to it!! 

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 01:48:45 AM »
Hey Beth,
I can sympathize as well. Over the past five years I have had to sit out on numerous occasions from dislocating my knee. Most recently, last spring I dislocated my knee in the middle of tennis season. It was probably the hardest time, and I became depressed. I agree with Mandy though. I went to all the matches and some of the practices and just being around the rest of the team helped a lot! My coach is also really great. He has knee problems too, so he was really understanding. Now I am debating surgery, and if I go through with it I will miss marching band and possibly tennis. Keep working really hard at PT and you'll be back before you know it!
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

beth8466

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 12:23:09 AM »
Thanks guys for all of the encouragement. I will take to heart what yall have said and keep my chin up b/c yall are right- theres always next year and on... good luck with all that yall are going through too. i will keep yall posted on my improvement and hopfully i will be back to playing soccer in June.