Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What is your dream?  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
What is your dream?
« on: October 30, 2002, 01:49:09 AM »
Linds and I were chatting today, and talking about how we don't want to let our knees get in the way of our dreams.

So I wondered what everyone else's dreams are--both realistic and not.  I think it's important to hold onto both types of dreams as we try to get knee solutions we can live with.

I would like to backpack around Africa and trek in the Himalayas, especially to Everest Base camp.  Those don't seem terribly realistic *right now*, so I'm focusing on being able to do a flat hike in the beautiful red rocks of Northern Arizona. And being able to play tag with my toddler nephew and walk my dog whenever she goes to the front door and give me 'that look.'

And for totally unrealistic...I'd like to be one of the first people with a knee replacement to ever climb Mt. Everest...talk about dreaming!!  :D

In the meantime, I'm trying to keep my spirits up as we all deal with the inevitable pain that changing seasons bring.  So I invite you to share your dream and give us all something to pull for, and remember WHY you are seeking to get better.....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: What is your dream?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 03:43:26 AM »
Dreams and goals keep us going!   :-*

My very realistic dream is to play baseball with my kids...and go for walks with them.  Hopefully the tkr will lend itself to that...

My other dream is also pretty realistic--to get my day to day life back--get my house back the way I want it, to get off the toilet in a reasonable way, to sleep all night without either being exhausted or medication induced...

I don't think I want a lot...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Grace

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • wish i could fly like superman..or at least walk
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 03:52:10 AM »
I am in the same boat as Sylvia...i don't want much.

I have dreams that i will get my degree before i turn 200 years old....i will marry the man i love and we will build a lovely life together....dreams that my knees will allow me to live a nomal life, or at least closer to normal than i have now.

And if we are shooting for unrealistic...i want to go to the gym tomorrow morning a play a few matches of volleyball and tomorrow afternoon I'll play in a  softball game, it'll be a huge win..the other team will have no runs!  Maybe i could go dancing with my fiance later..haven't done that in a long time.

Thanx for the escape - Grace
8 months of continuous physical therapy
plica excision/ shaving 6-10-02
5 months of agressive physical therapy
modified Fulkerson and lateral release 5-13-03
currently in limbo

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 05:09:35 AM »
Well, since Heather and I were talking about this, I felt it only right that I post my dreams here...
First of all my dream is to make it to Everest base camp..I think people that actually try to climb the mountain are insane, but the base camp atmosphere is something I think I crave. Another dream is to have my horse bussiness and marry my farmer and live happily ever after.  I want to breed and train quality affordable horses for people that deserve nice horses, but can't afford the 80.000$ dollar ones. ;)
I dont' have any really unrealistic dreams at this point, well maybe being an OS but it ain't gonna happen so I don't even think about it. Having a pain free week or so would be nice.
Take care Thanks for the sharing Heather, always makes life more bareable
Hugs and Healing
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Tizzy953

• Forum Faithful
  • Go AZ D-Backs/Cardina ls
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 05:22:52 AM »
My dream is to be able to run again, get back to a 15:30 two mile again.  I don't if I can consider that a realistic or unrealistic.  With the way it feels today, I don't think that will ever happen.  

I also want to be able to play softball again and become the orthopedic surgeon I have wanted to be since I was 6.  Maybe I could be that surgeon that doesn't blow off her patients.  

These are my real dreams, I don't know which categories they fit into.

Kenzie
11/93-R ankle recon; 10/94-L ankle recon, 2/96-R shoulder stabilization+3 screws, 2/97-dislocated jaw, 11/99- LR L knee, 5/02-diagonstic scope L knee, 1/14/03- TTT+LR L knee, 9/9/03-L knee hardware removal, cartilage cleanup

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 06:19:44 AM »
A big dream of mine is to be able to ski again. I don't know if that's a realistic or unrealistic dream. Judging by the way I feel now it seems to be pretty unrealistic.

My realistic dreams are to get a teaching job that I will truly love, get married and have a family and just be able to live a normal life that isn't run by my knees and how they feel.

Thinking about my dreams keeps me going on the bad days!
Sharon

Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 04:20:04 PM »
Knee dreams:
Wow, wouldn't I love to be able to go hiking again and not having to think about every step whether the knee is going to hold out or not.  Ditto for skiing.
The other one is being able to get down on the ground and crawl around with my grandson!!!! Now that would really be fantastic.
Let's hope all our dreams come true--and then I'll join you all at the Everest Base Camp.  Shouldn't we make a Kneeguru expedition???  I bet we could get all kind of brace companies to sponsor us!!!!
Cheers
MJ

plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline chica_2626

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Why knees?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2002, 05:45:17 PM »
Well first off I want to be able to go bowling again!!  I haven't bowled since January and I miss that so much...I've been bowling since I was in the second grade and it was so hard for me to give that up!!  Next I want to be able to be able to get use out of the season pass I'm thinking of buying for the next season at a local amusement park.  I bought one this year and I only got to use it for the beginning of June and then I had surgery.  I want to be able to spend the entire day at that park...not just the couple hours that my knee might hold out for.  I want to be able to hang out with my friends and go around the mall and just do whatever I want without saying no because my knee is hurting too much.  I don't want to have to dread going to school because it hurts my knee so much.  As for my future...I want to be a Physical Therapist Assistant but I don't know if my knee will allow for that.  I had never even considered it because I hated PT so much until I finally foudn the perfect place that is so amazing because the people there truly care...and this was the fourth place I had been.  Only 1 out of 4 I felt honestly cared about my knee and any pain I was experiencing.  And I think that sucks and I wanna change that!!  So I don't know how many of these are realistic and I didn't realize how long the list was until I started writing!!
Lateral Release Right Knee 6-21-02
Peroneal Brevis Tendon Repair Right Ankle 6-29-05

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 06:50:40 PM »
Oh wow...to dream again :)  ::)  Well my "dream" is to be able to train my mini poodle in agility and fly ball.  There is nothing that would make me happier than taking her through an agility course.  The way she soars over jumps, she'd kick doggy butt at flyball.  I don't know yet if this is a realistic dream or not, but that is a definite knee fantasy of mine.

What I hope to be a realistic dream is to be able to go for long walks again.  Nice strolls around the neighbourhood, or a gentle easy hike up the trails.  Heck, even to be able to turn the clocks back 2 or 3 years would be great.  

Okay, enough dwelling on what I can't have right now.  To help make life more bearable I've kind of improvised.  Instead of training my dog in flyball, I throw a tennis ball from the couch down the hallway.  Instead of long strolls or hikes my mom takes me to the waterfront where I can sit on the bench and admire the gardens and the lake.  Right now I make the best of what I have.  But I still have my dreams. ::)  

(((hugs)))

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 03:40:24 AM »
My dream is to be able to walk without pain...to go to the mall...to go on vacation...to sit through a football game...to take my dog for a walk...to go up and down stairs foot-over-foot. On my first visit with my rehab doctor, he asked what I would like to do for recreational activities. I said it was so far from anything I could imagine, I didn't even think about it anymore. He said we would have to change that. I almost cried. However, six months later, I still have my basic dreams of walking, sitting, stairs, etc. I hate to sound so down, but those activities are still dreams for me.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Tizzy953

• Forum Faithful
  • Go AZ D-Backs/Cardina ls
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 04:32:15 AM »
Chica,
I will be the Orthopod and you can be my physical therapist and we will call it something along the lines of"We truly Care,"  That would be cool.  Just thought it was cute.

Kenzie
11/93-R ankle recon; 10/94-L ankle recon, 2/96-R shoulder stabilization+3 screws, 2/97-dislocated jaw, 11/99- LR L knee, 5/02-diagonstic scope L knee, 1/14/03- TTT+LR L knee, 9/9/03-L knee hardware removal, cartilage cleanup

Offline shansoup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2002, 08:34:54 AM »
Nice idea for a subject!

Before I had surgery last month, I had huge dreams.  My reason for surgery was to fix my knees so that I could get back in shape again.  My goal was that in 2 years I'd be back in shape and would try out for a WNBA team.  Lofty goal, I know, but I was dreaming big!

After the complications I went through, my dreams have changed.  I get excited to see the sunsets and the fall leaves and to breathe the fresh air.  My dreams are to be able to do normal life functions again - walk around the grocery store without getting winded, do laundry (washer and dryer are in the basement), go for hikes to see the hidden treasures at state parks, go bowling with friends...

And one of my (hopefully) realistic dreams is that when my recovery is complete, I will be a LR success story.
Chondro in both knees since age 12.  LR on left knee 9/24/02.  Major post-op complications.  Need the right knee done, probably won't happen for another year.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 01:12:05 PM »
My dream?? I'd like to go skiing in Austria sometime, but according to what my OS says it isn't realistic, so... :( I'll keep on dreaming. I planned a skiing trip in Jan 2001, but due to my LR dec 2000, I had to cancel it. Shame :-/, I'd like to try it.

Other dreams (who seem more realistic) is play badminton (haven't played since june!!! but I don't know if I'll play again this season), and skate. Think it's more likely I can do these things again.

Good question Heather and Linds ;)

And Chica... I went bowling last friday with my brother and his girlfriend (being 2 months post-TTT), and I really enjoyed myself. OK, my knee felt stiff and painfull, but I bowled  (I even won! Imagine that...) so... you're dreams will come true!

Keep believing everyone ;)

Helena

Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline snowcat

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2002, 04:40:01 AM »
I'm striving to get better so I can get back to what weren't dreams but simple habits, realities, just 2 years ago--hiking every weekend in the summer, going on more extended backpacking trips, etc.  While I would love to be able to ski again too, I am actually willing to give that up--I skied with passion, and so it kind of surprises me that I feel I can do without it.  But hiking is different--it's a solace for me, and I really want to be able to do it for the rest of my life.  

I used to see old people doing the same hikes I was doing--they were my "model old folks"--exactly how I wanted to end up...I am still hoping!  I am starting to walk up and down this steep hill in my neighborhood again and hope to gradually increase my laps on that hill--training!  Yesterday I saw an old couple walking up the same hill and just couldn't stop thinking about how they could do it at age 75 while I am struggling to at age 25!  

I will find other ways to enjoy the outdoors even if I can't keep backpacking.  But it's a dream that I still can't believe is now a dream rather than a reality, and I won't say goodbye to it yet.

As for Everest--NO WAY would I ever want to try climbing it (of course, I said that about 14ers--14000 ft mountains--as a teenager, only to find out they were just great hikes like all the others, a few years later!  Daily, I look at a picture of myself atop Colorado's Mt. Yale just 3 months after my first surgery.  If only the second surgery had turned out so well).  I especially don't want to climb Everest after reading Into Thin Air!  Honestly, I think I'm too wimpy for that.  BUT, base camp sounds fun--I'll meet you guys there, and we'll see Heather off to the top!!

snowcat
5/00: partial lateral menisectomy (R)
7/01: LR, partial lateral menisectomy, cyst draining (R), followed by ongoing problems with illiotibial band syndrome & adhesions
6/04: Much better!

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2002, 04:48:14 AM »
My dreams are pretty simple.  To walk, run occasionally and live my life without pain and not having to disappoint my friends and family by needing to cancel outings at the last minute.  I would love to have a child eventually and be able to chase after them!!!  
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2002, 11:48:04 AM »
My dream is quite simple, to love and to be happy and for everyone around me to be happy and loved.

Also my not quite so realistic dream is to wake up with wonderful new knees one day!.

Love Iona

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2002, 04:49:50 PM »
MY BIGGEST DREAM IS FOR MY CHILDREN TO FEEL SAFE AND HAVE THE STRENGTH TO FACE THE CHALLENGES LIFE WILL THROW AT THEM.

FOR ME, MY DREAM IS TO RETIRE IN 5 YEARS (ALTHOUGH WITH MY CURRENT EMPLOYEMENT STATE AND LEGAL STATE MAYBE IT WILL HAPPEN SOONER)

I WANT TO BUILD A LOG CABIN HOME ON 15 ACRES ON A PRIVATE LAKE IN NORTHERN WISCONSIN (WHICH IS AS DENSE AS THE BLACK FOREST IN GERMANY)  WHEN I MET MY HUSBAND I HAD AN INSTANT VISION OF HIM AND I SITTING ON OUR FRONT PORCH "UP NORTH" FISHING.  I LOVE HIM SO VERY MUCH THAT ALL I WANT TO DO IS SPEND EVERYDAY AND MINUTE WITH HIM.  HE IS SUCH A BEST FRIEND. TO ADD TO THIS DREAM, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE GARDENS AS BEAUTIFUL AS ENGLISH COTTAGES, WHICH MEANS ALOT OF KNEELING WHICH INCORPORATES ALOT OF PAIN - SO AS TO FOLLOW SUIT WITH THE REST OF YOU - NO KNEE PAIN SO I CAN PULL WEEDS AND PLANT FLOWERS TO MY HEARTS CONTENT ON MY 15 ACRES OF SOLITUDE.  oooohhh i can taste it I want it so bad.

MY DREAM FOR MY HUSBAND:  THAT HE LIVES A LONG HEALTHY SUCCESSFUL LIFE, AND BUILDS ME ONE HECK OF A LOG CABIN :-*

MY DREAM FOR MY GERMAN SHEPARD SPIKE IS THAT HE LEARNS TO STOP BARKING AT THE GUNSHOTS FROM THE DUCK HUNTERS ON THE LAKE WE LIVE SO VERY CLOSE TO :D (hence the nickname sally dog)

MY VERY UNREALISTIC DREAM IS TO BE AN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST FOR THE US DEPARTMENT OF INTERIOR.  BUT AT 40 THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, SO I HAVE DECIDED TO PARTICIPATE IN E.S. AT THE LOCAL LEVEL.

A DREAM THAT I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IS THAT THE UNITED STATES AND ITS ALLIES SUFFER NO FURTHER TERRORIST ATTACKS, AND THE WORLD FINDS PEACE :'(
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2002, 06:21:48 PM »
For me, the dream would have to be to feel whole again.  The accident that left me with my knee "issues" didn't seem that bad at the time but I guess it was pretty serious, and could very easily have been moreso.  I'm told a great many people who crash on motorcycles on the freeways don't survive at all.   Still, now that the risk of death is so distant, I can say I'd sure like to feel as if I'll be normal again.   :-/
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

Offline daisey

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2002, 06:39:56 AM »
     I will keep it realistic.  First I would like to have my life before knee problems back.  Being spontaneous again would be wonderful, instead of having to preplan everything around the knee.  And have someone constantly reminding me of things I can not or should not do because of my knees.
    I would like to go to work (EMS Paramedic) and not have a patient ask if  I needed to be on the stretcher instead of them.  To actually work a shift and not be in pain.  It reminds me of how much I love my job and will probably have to give it up sooner or later unless I can get the knees back on track.
    Be able to coach the local girls softball team again.  Actually able to show the kids what to do instead of telling them what to do.  Was very involved in the community before knee problems.  
   To sum it up, I would just like to have a normal life again.

Daisey
05-2002 Chondroplasty and plicae excision Rt knee
07-2002/11-2002 multiple rounds of physio
11-2002 Open MPFL reconstruction
11-2002/05-2003 Physio
07-2003 Cortisione injection due to return of pain
2005-2007 Cortisone injections bilateral knees
2007 LR LT knee
5/6/2010 TKR scheduled LT Knee

SL99

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2003, 03:55:22 AM »
My dream is to walk without crutches and pain again, to suceed in my work and life in spite of my illness, to help as many people  as I can and make them happy throughout my life/journey and to reach my goal of travelling around the world to visit all the wonderful places and attend all the events I want to see and experience.

I hope that at least some are realistic goals for me to achieve, although somedays they do feel very fantasty to me.  But I'm certainly not going to give up on them that's for sure!  :)

My real fantasy dreams would probably include being able to ride and run competively again, being allowed to scuba dive and being able to fly a plane or helicopter. And of course the ultimate biggie dream, driving a Formula One car!!  8)

Above all though my biggest dream is to be happy and no matter what happens I can always usually find a reason to be!  :)

Good luck acheiving your dreams however attainable or fantastic they might be.

Love and hugs.....Jo
xxx

Offline chica_2626

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Why knees?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2003, 05:54:58 AM »
I realized reading back through this I have another dream...I wanna be able to go to my senior prom.  I want to be able to find a dress and a date (which I wasn't able to do this year for my junior prom) and I want to be able to dance the whole time and not need to sit down.  I'm not sure if this is realistic...I don't know if I'll be able to find a date or a dress or a knee that's able to be danced on...but it'd sure be nice...

Rachel
Lateral Release Right Knee 6-21-02
Peroneal Brevis Tendon Repair Right Ankle 6-29-05

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2003, 01:04:58 PM »
I would really love to have great new knees but thats not possible but if there was a surgery that would fix them with no complications, always 100% guarenteed to work with PT that wouldn't go wrong, that would my dream, should I have to go through nore surgery if my TTT's are unsuccessful.

Iona

Offline ergomaniac

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • RehabMatters
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2003, 05:00:26 PM »
My dream is to be world champion indoor rowing champion in the 40-49 category. That gives me four years to get my knee sorted so another dream is to find an OS who can actually do something positive to allow me to achieve my first dream. I KNOW the first dream is realistic but I figure it will be dependent on the second dream!!!  ::)

I sometimes think I would like to run again and play team sports but to be honest I haven't been able to do that for so many years now I don't really miss it.    

Ergo

PS Everest Base Camp expedition sounds great perhaps we could tag it onto walking the great wall of china!  ;D

Offline ergomaniac

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • RehabMatters
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2003, 05:02:56 PM »
Forgot to add one of my favourite inspirational sayings - "If you can dream the invisible you can achieve the impossible".

Offline tek

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2003, 04:37:11 AM »
Well I guess the biggest dream I have right now is that the TTT I just had is successuful.  
Since I am confident that it will be, then I hope to be able to hike the Grand Canyon with my husband during the summer of 2004 (in fact, I already have our reservations at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon).
I would also like to be able to ride a Century Bike Ride with America's Team in Training with The Leukemia Society.  My sister died of Leukemia in 1996, and I would love to be able to honor her  and celebrate my recovery from reconstructive knee surgery with a 100 mile bike ride while raising money for leukemia.  I plan to do this sometime before I am 40, so that still gives me 4 years!
Also, the Everest Base Camp/Nepal Trek thing sound pretty good to me too!!  Maybe if we get a whole group together we could get a cheaper rate or something!!   ::)
Theresa
arthro sur. leftknee - 1983 torn cartilage
lateral release  - 1984
arthro sur./patalla shaving 1994
lateral release/resurfacing - 1999
Fulkerson TTT w/cadaver bone block for pat. elevation
4/1/03

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2003, 06:47:18 AM »
We have a lot of aspirations...I have been thinking that I'd like for a good night's sleep to be the norm rather than the exception.   I'd also like for the security I used to have that I can walk from one place to another with no fear of falling down or having unpredictable pain.  Maybe, I could even walk unassisted and carry things at the same time.  Thses simple things would make me really satisfied--and then, i could go on long walks with my hubby and kids again and talk and laugh with them and enjoy their company like we used to do...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2003, 11:01:46 AM »
Folks, when you're getting numbers for the gimp to the Everest Base Camp you can count me in!  I suspect I'd crawl to get to that.

God bless you all, believe in something and it WILL happen.  All it takes is belief and input!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2005, 03:45:40 PM »
My dream is to play soccer for Canada in the Olympics or world cup. I have had this dream since I was about 8 years old and I will strive to achieve it...no matter what the knees say.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ą fin
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2005, 04:24:17 PM »
Ooooo fantastic get to list all my dreams.

First dream would be some sort of respect from my geography teachers. Last year I barely scrapped an E after I had a bad time with parents (Dad kicked door down and threatened to kill me and I was only one in house. Kinda puts you off exams). I did a retake in january, I had a barely healed broken arm, I was drugged up completely because of my knee and I still had pain from the thing. And I pulled up my grade to a few marks off a C. Not a well done or any sort of acknowledgement just a bunch of sarcastic comments. If I still had my cast on I would have hit him with it.

In the summer my dream would be to get an A/B in Biology (definately achieveable, My minimum estimated grade based on random calculations is an E and they very rarely move that up more than 1 grade above for your actual estimated grade and I have been estimated a A/B), B in General Studies (I reckon this will be easy, it's basically arguing about a subject, lets hope a question is related to healthcare!), C in Geography (I think this will be the hardest just because of the teachers constantly making me feel worthless), C in Physics (I failed last year, we had poor teachers and everyone but 2 people failed).

This winter after I have sent off my applications to universitys I would be so happy if I got an unconditional offer to do radiography at glasgow. I would just rub it in the faces of those who doubted me to be the only person from my school to ever get an unconditional offer.

I also dream to do medicine after i've done radiography at uni. I know I won't get straight in to it as a first degree since people with straight A's don't even get on medicine degrees for a first degree!

Well thats the career stuff let's move on to the other stuff!

I would like to be happy again. I would like to be thin like when I was a small child. I want to go rock climbing, I tried a  few times before but my knee completely locked. I want to be able to go outside again without fear. I would absolutely LOVE to go travelling around the world, anywhere and everywhere! Specifically though Japan, Australia, USA, New Zealand, Antarctic, Peru, Italy, China, and Canada. Also put me down as another for Everest! My big dream's out of those countries are to walk all of the great wall of china and walk up mt. fuji.

All I need is money, a knee that doesn't hurt all the time and to lose some weight. Which is difficult when I can't do any cardio anymore.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ą fin
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2005, 01:54:49 AM »
How many would seriously be intrested in the trek to everest base camp? If we had some help with costs from brace companies etc that is. I know not everyone will be able to afford it.

I've been having a quick look around and from the UK it costs between £1000 - £1500 which is 20 - 30 days including flights, meals, guides, tents etc  etc.

http://www.exploreworldwide.com/worldwide/tourdetail.jsp?tourbroxid=12398&xl=1

Is the site that seems to have stood out from all the others imo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 01:58:57 AM by ProfLiebstrom »

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 03:43:56 PM »
My dream is to go scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef!  8) After TKR's maybe I'll be able to dive again.  Right know my knees won't take swimming with fins on.

The other dream is to have good knee days!  I'm sick of having to plan around the knees, even when they seem fine something will happen and boom one or the other is acting up!  ???

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 11:58:17 PM »
Rozzie,

You will love scuba diving the reef--just be sure you take a larger vessel (like motor powered yacht) to get to the outskirts of the reef.  Close in, the pollution and high traffic levels have begun to kill off the coral.

I spent 3 hours motoring to the site where we went diving, and it was quite impressive.  I've had better dive trips in other parts of the world, though--the Reserve Cousteau off of Guadeloupe in the Caribbean was hands down the most impressive for overall diversity, and diving in the lagoon of Bora Bora was the most fantastic for interactions with sharks, giant manta rays, and huge electric-colored giant clams.  Still, the Great Barrier Reef is very impressive--it's size is amazing.  Also, when you go down there, try to get to the West Coast dive destination of the Ningaloo Reef--the world's closest barrier reef to the mainland.  It's very private and quiet and we didn't see anyone outside of our own group the whole four days we were there.

I really miss scuba diving.  But like you, the fins kill me.  And I'm afraid to go diving with the medications I take.  Some day....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline favouritesearcher

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 01:53:07 AM »
There are companies around who organise trips for people who have these problems, see for example:
http://www.wheeltheworld.net/

I trekked to Everest Base Camp before my accident and in my opinion the biggest problem is likely to be the altitude, which made it the hardest thing I've ever done physically.  As for climbing to the top, that's another matter.  Joe Simpson ('Touching the Void') was able to go back to mountain climbing after a pretty serious knee accident while climbing and six operations.

If I had a dream it would be to have a normal knee again and be able to go trekking, but most of the dreams I have at night at the moment end up as nightmares.

John
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:37:59 AM by favouritesearcher »
Mar 04 - Tibial spine avulsion fracture (skiing). Open surgery to fix, 1 screw.  Max passive ROM 20-75, active ROM 30-45
Aug 04 - Diag. severe arthro. Scar tissue clean up (LOA, removal of scar tissue).
Feb 05 - Discharged from surgeon's care. ROM 3-125.
Apr 05 - Discharged from physio. Same ROM

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 01:57:02 AM »
My dream is to be able to take a walk with my family or go bike riding with my friends.  I would like at least one day to not have to sit out and watch everyone else doing the fun stuff because I'm in too much pain to go on.
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »
Heather,

My 2 favorite dive spots ate Bloody Bay Wall on little Cayman.  The coral tunnels start at about 30 ft. and spit you out the wall at 99 ft.  6000ft straight down.  It is so awesome.  The other is Red Hill on Maui always see so much.  Last dive (my last) we say frog fish walking across the sand, rays, swimming Moray, turtle cleaning station, sleeping white tip reef shark in the cavern we had to swim though to get back to the boat.  I have some pictures, that helps remind me what it was like.

How long did you dive?  I did for about 10 years.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 01:54:51 AM »
Dreams, great topic Heather M.

Well, my dream would be to ride my mountain bike, walk the trails and go horseback riding again.  None are terribly unrealistic - just impossible at the moment - but having goals are a great thing.

Hugs,

Shade

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2005, 03:10:36 AM »
My dream is that the next doctor I see doesn't throw his arms up and is prepared to take on a challenge. And, of course I'd love to be able to move fast enough to catch a bus, I'd love to take a leisurely trail hike, and rock climbing.....  Ahhh, can't remember how it feels to run????

What great big hopes.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:14:02 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 03:19:14 AM »
My Dream...
well my what would seem extremely unrealistic Dream would be to get back to my horse career and be able to run my own stable for my career. 

Realistically, i'd like to be able to ride my own horse again and figure out what it is that I want to do for the rest of my life and get on with it.
 ::)

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 03:29:18 AM »
I read somewhere,"If people don't laugh at your dreams, then they aren't BIG enough!" I like those words. So, that being said, I think I will keep dreaming BIG. How about the rest of you????

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:13:27 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 04:50:27 PM »
My dream would be to travel to exotic places. I would like to hike long trails and take lots of photos. I would love to just go somewhere for 6 weeks or so, camping and snappig away... walking everywhere I need to be... No phones, no rush hour, no TV....   *sigh*

I work in an office, with family, so reality is so far off it's not even funny. I really wish sometimes that I could just pack up and take off....