Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cycling crash - knee pain  (Read 828 times)

Offline li0scc0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cycling crash - knee pain
« on: June 09, 2006, 02:44:27 PM »
I would like to get some opinions on a knee injury.

Yesterday I had a cycling crash on my commute home from work, and I hit my knee hard on a curb.  It hurt like heck when it occured, but after getting back on the bike and after another 10 minutes of pedaling it did not hurt quite so bad.  Upon my arrival home, (about an hour later) I crouched down to pick something up and there was terrible pain.  The pain is continual but hurts  more if I bend my knee.  The most severe pain is when I bend my knee in a weight-bearing mode - i.e. if I crouch/squat down.  It seems the pain is worse when I rise out of the crouch than it is when I go down into a crouch.  If I am not bearing my weight I have no problem bending or straightening my knee (there is slight pain but no worse than the general soreness I am having).

The location of the injury is the top of the knee, generally located at the top of the patella.  Obviously this is where I hit my knee on the curb.  THere is definitely some swelling but it is not excessive (caveat: compared to most people I do not swell-up much when I am injured).  The pain itself is primarily in that location but the entire knee does hurt when I crouch/squat, and ESPECIALLY when I rise out of the crouch in a weight-bearing mode.

I would think this is a 'bone bruise', but why would a bone bruise cause such discomfort (pain) when I bear weight?  Or is the pain simply due to the bruising?  Is it possible that this could be a patella fracture or something else?
 THoughts are appreciated.
Steve

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
Re: Cycling crash - knee pain
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »
Your injury sounds a lot like the first time I tore my meniscus. I would have it checked out by an OS as soon as possiable. The sooner you get treatment the sooner you can get back to feeling good.
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
Re: Cycling crash - knee pain
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:38:28 PM »
I agree with pegleg - you need to get checked out.  It could be as simple as a bruised bone (they are very painful) or it could be something worse, including a fractured patella, or any number of other injuries. 
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

support