Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "Breg" Brace.  Are you pleased with results?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
"Breg" Brace.  Are you pleased with results?
« on: October 13, 2002, 08:05:15 AM »
I'm scheduled to be measured for an ACL type brace developed from the BREG company.  It's the hope of my physical therapist and my doc that this will help with my right knee problems of hyperextension among other things.  My therapist is locking my in at 10 degrees, I think is the plan.  What I won't to know is if any of you have an ACL style brace from BREG and if you've been pleased with results.  Is it comfortable?  Barely noticeable under slacks, etc.  
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: "Breg" Brace.  Are you pleased with results?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2002, 02:10:40 PM »
Hey Kris, have you seen the ACL braces from breg? you can check them out on www.breg.com , then atleast you can get a look at them. I have never had one of these braces, but I do swear by the PTO brace and couldn't wear anything else.  ;) Breg is also amazing at standing behind their products so if there is a problem they are quik to deal with it.  They make great quality products, good luck with the brace
Linds :D
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Helen_uk

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2002, 05:30:40 PM »
Braces are great short term but long term for me they werent the answer because the muscles became week and reliant on the brace and I hated the putting on and taking off as it felt like a constant reminder of my disability so I opt for crutches and wizzing around in my wheelchair but I know that short term they are great and if you want to mobilise free of crutches.
Breg are good I have a stah of them and sometimes use them if I dont want ot use my sticks and I guess it depends oin how baggy your pants are as to whether they show.
H xxx

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2002, 05:53:44 PM »
Hi Kris,
I have a Breg PTO which I find wonderful.  I wouldn't live a day without it.  I also have two other Breg products which work great.  (Breg Polar Care Cub, Breg Polar Care 300)  I think their products are wonderful.  They may be a bit more pricey than other braces, but they do what they are designed to do.

I hope you find a brace that works for you Kris!  

All the best!

rhea

ps, I can get my Breg PTO under all of my pants.  A 'bootleg" jean pant work the best as they have more room in the pant for the brace to fit into.  
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2002, 08:46:11 PM »
I had the PTO sleeve brace.  I hated it.  It didn't do the job and it wore out too quickly.   We're going to try this ACL brace for hyperextension control and the patella taping for the maltracking problem just to see if any differences occur.  The sleeve brace I had never was in the right spot, was uncomfortable, and hot.  I tried telling doc this, but he just got me a new one of the same thing last time.  We'll see what happens?  
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2002, 01:57:29 AM »
 ;D  Hey Kris, I hope that this brace helps you.   :-[ Knees aren't any fun at all. My knees are leading me down I road that I am kicking and screaming trying to stay off of, but I must say it isn't helping much.  I knew you were looking at the ACL braces, I just wanted to share how great I thought Breg was. Take care and good luck , you have got to have some sometime!
Hugs and Healing
Linds ;)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 04:32:44 AM »
I love my Breg PTO.  But I had to try some different models before settling on the air mesh model.  The sleeve was way too hot and caused a rash.

I wear the brace on my good knee as many hours a day as I can stand.  The problem is my knee is swollen, so a lot of the stabilizing/buttress thingies bite into some pretty tender spots on my knee.  But it feels better when I have the brace on.  

I wish I could stand a brace on my bad leg, but the othotist did not recommend it because I've had a lateral release and because my knee is so swollen (no kneecap is identifiable....).  They may try me on an open OA unloader type brace, so there won't be anything pressing on recent surgical sites.  

Now I have a question for all you Breg fans--how the heck do you wash the air mesh brace?  The told me to remove the plastic hinges at each side, but I can't get them out.  So I've been sponging the brace off but not submerging it.  There has to be an easier way.....

Thanks.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 05:15:04 AM »
Don't take the plastic stays out Heather, you will never get them back in ever...I took mine out and it took my super hero dad all the strength to get them back in. I wash my PTO submerged in water with no probs...but I don't know, contact Breg. I guess. I think the paper work that came with my brace said it was alright to wash and just to dry flat.
Take care Heather, hope you are well
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2002, 06:53:36 PM »
Im having my orthotist deliver 2 braces next week, 1 Breg and  a Donjoy. He said I could have them for a few days to try out which one I like best. I currently have a hinged rheband brace thats good but I find all that neoprene makes your leg really hot and it limits movement. The Breg and Donjoys have the stability without all the restrictions. I guess it depends on your injury though, the ortho should know whats best for you. Ask to try them out first, you need to be happy with what you get.
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable