Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Both Knees  (Read 791 times)

Offline JamesD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Both Knees
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:31:02 PM »
OK it has been two weeks since I had surgery on both by knees to reattach the tendons to the busted up patellas.  Left knee had several breaks and the right one had 2 breaks.  Tendons wore tore from both patellas and to be resewn on.  I go friday to get the staples out.  They have me on 6 to 8 weeks NWB now does that mean no use of cructhes at all or some limited use?  And how long after that 8 weeks can I expect it to take till i can walk without any help.  Give me any information you can.  James D

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Both Knees
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:04:06 PM »
NWB...means non weight bearing..you should stay off your legs..have you got wheelchair ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »
Hey James,

You really should adhere to the advice of your OS and stay of both legs completely if that is what he's told you to do. You can rent, borrow or buy a wheelchair for temporary use for the next 6 weeks or so. Once you're allowed to weight bear, you should take it easy ith crutches. Bear in mind that your legs won't be used to being used and may fell alittle wobbly at first. Once you've got over that, how quickly you are able to walk without aid is up to you and how your recovery goes generally.
Are you able to properly control any pain? Are you able to do physio exercises? SLR/VMO etc? These exercises may help with movement, flexibility and strngth when you are finally able to use your legs.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline JamesD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the info so far.  Yes I have a wheelchair and a hospital bed in the family room.  I am able to move myself from the bed to the wheelchair.  And from the bed to the bedside camode.  I will never look at a real toilet the same after this is over.

support