Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help...Waiting for Knee Replacement  (Read 746 times)

Offline daughterjc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help...Waiting for Knee Replacement
« on: June 06, 2006, 03:19:00 AM »
Help.  My mom is on a waiting list (in Maine) for knee replacement which she has been on for about  6 weeks.  She is 79 and is really starting to get discouraged since she has been in a LOT of pain for 7 months. First went to a doc who was going to do arthro without having done an MRI!  New doctor is fantastic...but the wait...could be as late as November...but supposed to be working her in when an opening occurs.     Any thoughts about waiting lists, suggestions, ideas to ease her pain...anything we should be doing...she did call last week after waiting for a month.... She is NOT a complainer and has a high tolerance for pain....but...this is becoming intolerable.  I live about 900 miles from home, so I'm not much of a help.  Thank You in advance.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:27:45 AM by daughterjc »

knee deep in Goo

Re: Help...Waiting for Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:23:36 PM »
Having a knee problem is hard.  I am only 36 and I simply have to say.. It is so so so hard.  Your mom may need alot of help and its hard to ask for help at times.  I can safely say I hate the pain and I am greatful at times I have my family around me.

I am waiting for a Partial knee replacement. It is truelly a test of ones patience and determination to be as normal as one can be.. While in pain

There is a a few good books on Amazon.com that deal with knee replacements and what you can expect... Reading it from a care givers point of view may help you... and allow you to understand the Trauma that happens before and after surgery.

Offline daughterjc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:20:08 AM »
Knee deep in goo....Thank you for your thoughts.  You shed a very realistic picture of what's going on for someone in this situation.  I will check out the books on Amazon.  I hope your situation gets better very soon.
Thank You.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:54:10 AM »
While she continues to wait, the OS should be able to provide her with a brace, some meds to make the pain more tolerable, and maybe a few exercises PT, to make sure that recovery is the easiest. Braces can really help alleviate some of the pain, esp. with movement. T
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

support