Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rolfing and Deep Tissue Massage  (Read 876 times)

Offline mistyhou

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rolfing and Deep Tissue Massage
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:52:03 PM »
I asked the wrong question earlier.  I want to know if anyone knows if there is a diffeence between Rolfing and Deep Tissue Massage?  Thanks

Offline archkiter

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rolfing and Deep Tissue Massage
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »
I've never had deep tissue massage but I have been to a rolfer.

I believe that the two are different but do share some similarities.  The main difference is that when you see a rolfer you usually go to have the 10 basic sessions done first.  This is more or less a perscribed path where the rolfer focuses on certain muscles and alignments in your body each session.  Some of the techniques that they use are probably similar to those used in deep tissue massage which focuses on breaking up adhesions and myo-fascial release. 

I really enjoyed my seeesions with the rolfer.  They did improve my body mechanics and alignment as well as bringing up some pent up emotions that I had been carrying around as tension.  This was about 7 years ago.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the rolfing.

3/14/2006- Torn ACL and Lateral Meniscus- kite landboarding
6/9/2006- ACLr (achillies allograft) & Lateral Meniscus repair (shave)- Found out that ACL was completely ruptured!
6/13/2006- PT begins....

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Rolfing and Deep Tissue Massage
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:50:30 PM »
There is a huge difference.  Deep Tissue Massage is just a description of working deep in the tissues.  ROLF is a specific way of doing that.  It's like saying "surgery" vs. arthroscopic knee surgery.

Rolfing has a goal of realigning things, releasing fascia, etc.  There is a big difference.  When you have ROLF work done, you have to move and provide resistance and assist in traction, etc.  This is an amazing therapy technique that I found created permanent change in my body...I never got that from any other kind of massage.

Check out http://www.rolf.org

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell