Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pregnancy and bad knees?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Pregnancy and bad knees?
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:11:42 AM »
I am waiting for an arthroscopy - likely in September October time for a meniscus repair/knee scrape and possible LR. I have one daughter who is nearly 20 months and have been thinking about expanding our family. I am 32 now so don't want to leave it too late. My question is..... has anyone else been in a similar predicament? How long should I leave it after surgery before trying again. I am convinced that it was the Relaxin hormone (OS agrees) that made my knee go funny this time and am nervous. If I didn't have the surgery then my knee would get more and more damaged from the extra weight anyway! I am going to have a concerted effort to lose as much weight as possible so that the strain would be less but the whole idea makes me nervous!

Thanks for any replies

Itigo x  :)
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Pregnancy and bad knees?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »
Hi Itigo,

My son is 21 months and I am also 32. I'd like to expand my family also, but it wouldn't be sensible to even thnk about it until my knee is sorted once and for all. It's a hard decision to make, but at 32 we have plenty of time really.
Is there any way you can bring your arthroscopy forward? Or can you have it done under a spinal anaesthetic so as to do no harm during pregnancy?
Really, I think you should wait. October isn't all that far away - it's only 4 months - so after your surgery you could start trying straight away.

Let us know what you decide.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 07:57:17 PM »
Hiya Laura

Sorry I was waffling and didn't make things clear. I am NOT trying until the New Year at the earliest, just worried about even trying after they have fixed my knee in case it gets bad again. Had a niggly day today, knee kept catching so that I had to stop what I was doing, swear, feel sick and then try to move! happened when out cycling and which is unusual. I'm sure it must be some flappy bit in there. Didn't feel like it was dislocating as only feel it on medial side and my kneecap dislocated to the outside.

Thanks for your help Laura, can always rely on you! Your knee was looking a tad more healthy on the other thread, hope it stays that way......

Itigo xx :)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 09:20:46 PM »
My doctor assured me that if I were to have a baby I'd have to be 'strapped, braced, and crutch it' through the whole thing.  She was very concerned about the hormones causing elasticity in the joints....it is a good idea to take off as much weight as possible--for your health and the baby's--and then try to gain the bare minimum if you are still a bit overweight when you conceive.  The recommended weight-gain is somewhere between 20 and 30 pounds...if you are heavier than ideal weight, then they want you to gain LESS than the recommended amount, and if you are lighter or at your ideal weight, they feel better if you happen to gain more.  There is really no need to gain 50 or even 90 pounds during pregnancy as we see some people do, it really is a stress on your joint and doesn't aid the development of the baby unless you are carrying multiples.  In fact, a dramatic weight gain can put the baby at risk for several issues, as well as threaten the mother's health with gestational diabetes, hyper-tension, etc.  Now some folks gain a lot of fluid weight, so if you are eating right (only a couple hundred extra calories in a day are required for the baby) and you gain weight anyway, then try not to worry too much.  B

I did want to say that at age 32 you are far from near the end of your child-bearing years!!  Get your health in order and this will be the best thing you can do for your future baby....

Good luck with everything.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 09:46:27 PM »
Hi Itigo,

Please take Heather's advice - she knows what she's talking about.
When I was pregnant with Oscar producing relaxin had a very negative effect on my knee but worse still, I ended up with SPD. It didn't matter what I did, where I went, whether I was lying down in bed, sitting on a chair, standing up, or trying to do any of these things, I was in pain. I refused point blank to take painkillers, even paracetamol when it was safe to do so and the further I got through my pregnancy the worse the pain got. I ended up on crutches from about 23 weeks, which took a little of the pressure of my knee joint.
Having said that, as I've already dealt with a dodgy knee during preganancy I think I could do it again. If it means I need to be strapped up like a christmas turkey then so be it.
At the end of the day,i won't put my life on hold just because of my knee, but there is a point where I have to be sensible about things, particularly if it affects someone else, whether it be my husband, Oscar or a new baby.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:31:33 AM »
you know at times I almost put it out of my mind that I  could have a child with this knee crap.   AT 36 I am not getting younger and being in a brace isnt exactly the sexiest look..   

Anybody have any dating suggestions.?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:12:23 AM »
My dating suggestions is that dating and bum knees don't go together...I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.  36, bad knee that will only get worse, and well....I try to remind myself that everyone has baggage.  Maybe not baggage that requires space age plastic braces, orthotics, multiple surgery, daily PT, and so forth...but...

Okay, I'm not buying it, either.

The last guy I dated kept wanting me to go kayaking...he'd say (repeatedly) "But you'll be sitting down almost the whole time."  And I kept thinking, yeah, except for the 1/2 mile hike over rocks and brush down to the river launch point, carrying a heavy kayak over my head alone.  Oh yeah, and the part where I have to sit down in something that's about 15 inches off the ground...and get back up again, working against gravity.  And then there's the part where you have to haul out and hike for 250 feet around rough rapids...again, carrying the kayak the whole way.  By myself, because he would have been carrying HIS kayak.

Yeah, except for those little segments, I would have been sitting the whole time.

Sigh.

I won't even go into the whole "let's go out for drinks and dancing" thing.  Let's just not even go there....

Bigger sigh. 

When you come up with some ideas, let me know. 

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
Thanks for your advice, will be eating mega healthy from now on! I only put on 15-20 pounds last pregnancy so feel okay about that as I didn't just see it as an excuse to binge! Baby was 8lbs 13 too so there was a lot of her! That's another factor - big baby family history.My first was induced on due date.

Will mention all this to OS next time I see him.

Better go to work.

Thanks for all your help.

Anyone for chess?! Can't imagine there are many hunky chess players though!!! Tiddly wink dates?!

Itigo xx

support