Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need imaginative ideas!!  (Read 1054 times)

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Need imaginative ideas!!
« on: June 03, 2006, 07:41:31 PM »
Amongst all you knee geeks is there anyone with an imaginative idea how I can go swimming?  I have foot drop and weeks away from getting my orthotic splint - not being measured for another couple of weeks and then it has to be made, then fitted.  With flaming June upon us and now feeling much better I really want to be able to go swimming but need a way of keeping my lazy dropped foot up - it also will have to be acceptable to the swimmimg pool staff.  I have searched the web for ideas but can not find a local (Midlands - UK) supplier.  Any ideas???
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline jm121205

• Regular Poster
Re: Need imaginative ideas!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:59:03 PM »
I remember from swim practice we had ankle floats -- the pool opposite of ankle weights that were two 10-12 cm tubes of foam with nylon rope through the tubes with a cinch.  you stepped into it and cinched it around your ankles.  This was to increase the work you did as part of your arms.  I would check with any pool that has lessons/aerobics to see if they have anything.  Good luck  Judith
11/1/05 clean patella fracture
12/12/15 shattered patella, emergency surgical repair
2/06 to 4/06 attempting to convince them something was not right
4/26/06 recheck with surgeon: original break not healing and wires from surgery broken
5/26/06 Second Surgery
8/16/06 no more brace

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:58:54 AM »
Thank you Judith.  I really don't want to wait possibly 8 weeks for my splint to find that the great British summer has been and gone and I have not been anywhere near the water. 
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »
I use kick trainers when I train for swimming.  They may be able to hold your foot in a good position while you swim. 

These are the ones that I use:  http://www.swim2000.com/product.php?pd_id=S123

Hope it helps. Good Luck.  Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:25:11 PM »
Thanks Amy, What a good idea.  I never knew such things existed but then I am no swimmer - definately built for land.  My doctor said to take up swimming as it is good exercise - too true you haven't seen me try and swim.  I intend to get in the water as it is such good exercise and to progress from a very poor front crawl. 

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:22:10 AM »
there are a few wonderful books on aqua therapy with a pool noodle on amazon.com