Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain scale system  (Read 7612 times)

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pain scale system
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2006, 12:34:44 AM »
A plan is a good thing, even if it seems like such a long range one. There are shorter term goals, like strengthening and getting pain under control is a wonderful goal. How old are you? What is the reasoning behind waiting two years?
I went to NH to my boyfriend's for today and tomorrow and was hoping to buy flowers and plant them for him, not that planting is really within my ability level but I do it anyway and just pay for it later. BUT it is chilly and rainy and I guess for all of us with joint issues, that is not fun. I get so antsy! I admit to doing some therapy shopping. I bought a skirt and top to wear to my daughter's graduation. It is hard to ice when it is cold out, too, but I must ice soon!
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
10/98 ACL partial tear repair/ and RSD
10/01 ACL reconstruction w/allograft
7/03 LR
1/06 diagnosed with patella baja
7/5 open knee surgery for IPCS
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage...Anais Nin

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2006, 02:13:41 AM »
I am glad to say I am constantly seeking perfection on my short term goals. I have full range of motion. Pain control is currently under construction. OA medial Unloader brace- orthovisc shots/Mobic/pain patches/Pain Meds/Reducing Weight- Joined a pool/Completed Several months of PT- In other words I am doing all I can at the moment and feel its the correct choice for me.

When I talked with my doctor about Knee replacement. I advised I wanted that to be the treatment of last resort.  I just had an operation in January and really do not want to subject myself to a major surgery and plus the fact that there are some advancements that are on the road with Uni's and with knee care on the whole.. and the PKR would also provide 10 years before the TKR  and I would be up and running fast.  By all means if I felt that my progress detiorated and started to freak out.. He would do it.  But 2 years is a Smart goal.

I have reviewed my options with ACI, Oats and HTO's and feel that period of non weight bearing and time off work need and  the failure rate is great and is a risk I do not want to take. for 10 years prior to a TKR

Plus the fact I have OA in all compartments of my right knee.  The medial side being the worse. The joint is bone on bone.   The orthovisc shots will help ..Plus the OA unloader brace that I had custom made will be coming next week hopefully and this should replicate what an HTO would do.

My daily recovery blog is under the meniscus section --Really It is the recovery of Chrondroplasty with drilling (microfracture) and a partial meniscus removal.   Gone wild. :)  I have accepted that my battle with OA is not going to be a 123 quickie fix.  The past months really have been dealing with my own self center grief.. at times.  I am choosing right now to be as positive as possible and on this board I have found so many additional cheerleaders that helped this process be a bit more tolerable.

I smile alot and I am silly .. But my doctor knows that fine line where I am just using my coping skills and gives me what I need.  Hope..and support.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2006, 05:11:03 AM »
Hi, just wanted to clarify the post I made about converting the fentanyl to MS and then tapering or whatever. Fentanyl 25 mcg equals MS 135 mg, 50mcg fentanyl +135-224 mg MS, 75mcg fentanyl=225-314 mg MS, 100mcg fentanyl =315-404mg MS, 125 mcg fentanyl=405-494 mg MS, 150 mcg fentanyl=495-584 mg MS, and 175 mcg fentanyl =585-674 MS. I was glad to finally see it in a chart. Puts the patch in perspective, at least for me when I was wondering why the PCA MS did absolutely for me postop and nurses kept asking about the pain scale. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »
Dear KneeDeep,
I admire how you have a clear plan, and back up plans, and keep going. None of these are easy fixes, obviously. And we need this cheering section. We need to be able to cry and rant and not be looked down upon like we are wimps. I lose it fairly regularly, but I also carry on, and I have ways in my life where I feel I can make a real difference. If you walk around with an open heart, amazing things can appear. I am always watching for angel sightings! I don't know if I really believe in angels but it doesn't matter. Kindness shows up when you least expect it.
Take care!
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
10/98 ACL partial tear repair/ and RSD
10/01 ACL reconstruction w/allograft
7/03 LR
1/06 diagnosed with patella baja
7/5 open knee surgery for IPCS
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage...Anais Nin

support