Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Flat Feet  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Flat Feet
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »
hey everyone~

I just really noticed just how flat my feet are.  My OS had me get custom orthotics after one of my appointments about a year ago, to help give me some relief with my knees.  I had some great luck with them for awhile, but now my feet/ankles are constantly ticked off at me. I wake up in the morning hurting and go to bed with them just throbbing.  I got new shoes a little over a month ago so I know I don't need any new shoes (however I wouldn't mind another pair :) ). Has anyone else had any problems with their flat feet or ankles while having crappy knees?  I"m just wondering what I should be doing other than icing and resting my feet as much as I can.  Should I bring this up at my next OS appt?? 

Thanks!
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Flat Feet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:19:14 PM »
Hey MAndy, well it's not surprising as PF problems are frequently seen in people with flat feet. have your feet started hurting more since you got the new shoes? Maybe it's time to get NEW orthotics, they should be replaced frequently as the material in them begins to break down and they aren't as good anymore. I always know it's time for my orthotics to go when my feet start to hurt. :P Just a thtouhg.. but I don't have flat feet either... :P

I hope you find something to help with your feet, nice sport socks that have extra support across the arch can help... what kind of shoes are you wearing, because really running shoes are what you should have.. lots of shock absorbption. Make sure that your new shoes if they are sneakers aren't wedged either. You want a neutral shoe. You can tell on running sneakers if they are wedged, as they will have a different colour patch, usually darker on the inside or the outside of the soul.. on the side... most commonly you see shoes wedged to the outside.. this can wreak havvock on ouchy knees TOO!!
Goodluck
wish I coudl be more help
maybe mention it to your OS he might have some helpful hints
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:34:35 PM »
I have flat feet..  and been having some pain..   I stick a lidoderm patch on my heel. . My OS said he can give me a shot in my foot for my pain as well. 

Heating pads work wonders on feet.

Also .. I found some cute summer sandals. They are not as hippy chick looking and some nice arch support.  I also bought some arch supports from www.drleonards.com for my formal shoe wear.

www.qvc.com

Item Number A06735

Birki's Patent Triple Strap Comfort Slides

Retail Value $75.00
QVC Price $66.50
Introductory Price $60.96
Shipping and Handling $5.22

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:37:07 PM »
~Mandy,

I'm also a flat-footed knee damaged individual.  Did not have luck with the othotics myself but then was told that Birkenstocks might help me walk better.  Well, they are truly wonderful.  Just love them and won't leave home without them.
I've now got two pair and they really help me walk properly.  I'm wearing the birkenstock boston.  They are expensive but last forever - they can be resoled so it's a shoe that goes on and on.......

http://www.comfortableshoes.com/item_preview.cfm?ID=26
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:41:37 PM »
qvc is a bit cheaper ..

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »
thanks everyone for your advice!

hopefully i don't need another pair of orthotics.  i just got these things less than a year ago, and they were extremely costly due to them being specially made by a orthotist.  I talked with my family last nite about everything and I'm going to bring it up at my next OS appt to see hopefully if he has any solutions, or can recommend a podiatrist up there.  (We have crap for healthcare around here) 

Again thanks so much for your help!  I'm gonna take a look at my shoes to make sure they aren't wearing weird...thanks Linds. :)

~Mandy :D
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline keeperkid24

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »
You may want to go to a specialty sports store with your shoes and explain your problems to them. At a good store, they are trained to know which shoes support which areas, and if you have too much or too little support in the wrong areas that could cause miserable pain. (Your PT could help with this too, probably). Linds is right that they will be darker if they are wedged, and there are other things that can be determined too. I have had to go on wild shoe runs for my sister's feet, looking for shoes with the right amount of support in the right areas, and have become infamous at PT/work for that reason, among others. I had custom orthotics that I wore everyday for a few years and my ankles and feet felt so great then! Now I'm stuck in sandals with my RSD and my ankles have started dislocating, too. I don't have flat feet, though, I have a different problem (stupid hypermobility). My orthotics were not made of a fabric/rubber material, they were made of some kind of fiberglass type stuff so they didn't wear down over time, although I did need a new one for my left foot after my TTT because everything was SO different. As for the right, I was sandal-bound by then.

Lindsay
01/03-LR (left); 09/03-TTT, medial reefing, plica excision, LR (left); 02/04-screws out; 11/04-TTT, LR, medial reefing, plica excision, etc. (right); 08/05-screws out (right) to reveal a fracture in the tuberosity
Also have severe RSD, EDS, and soo many allergies

Offline jerman710

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »
Hi Mandy,
      I thought I would share my experience with you. Back in 2001 I had terrible pain in the bottom of one foot. The pain was about 1-1 1/2 inches from my heel, towards the outside of my foot. I had pain when trying to walk after sitting or laying down for a long time. The more steps I took the less pain there was. It progress so that one morning I got out of bed and could not walk because of the pain. I decided to see a podiatrist who diagnosed me with plantar faciitis (inflammation of the tendon going from the heel to the front of the foot). He explained that when the foot was resting it swelled up and the pain was caused from walking on it with all that swelling. He prescribed orthotics for me and the pain went away.

Fast forward to last month. I went to see him again as the pain was back again, even with the orthotics. (I wear them religiously) He saw that I was wearing "Nike" sneakers. He said that those and "Reebok" were the worst ones to wear for people with foot problems as the heels in those brands are hollow giving the heel no support allowing the foot to flex in ways it shouldn't. He recommended "New Balance" or "Adidas" as they have a solid heel and provide more support. I bought new sneakers and it was better but not completely gone. He said that having the TTT done on my knee must have changed the way I walk. He suggest new orthotics. I was casted for them last week. They should be in in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how they work.

Take care,
Jerry
43 yrs old
6/21/05 arthroscopy rt knee meniscus tear
10/5/05 2nd arthroscopy rt knee another meniscus tear
2/15/06 Fulkerson, LR, debridement and yet another menscal tear Rt knee
10/18/06 microfracture right knee
10/23/09 debridement right knee
6/16/10 PFJR right knee scheduled

Offline planetloz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
Have flat feet and knee problems too. Used to wear special orthopeadic shoes when I was little, then stopped. Now I am definitely getting some custom made orthotics. I wear Birkentstock sandals around the house, all year round and in the summer, as they get older they get more and more confortable and last for ages as you can just replace the sole when they are too worn out.
June 04: arthroscopic surgery to trim medial meniscus tear
April 06: ski injury: torn ACL, further tear in the posterior horn of medial meniscus, bone bruising of lateral fibial plateau. foot cyst excision 24/6/06, ACL recon hamstring, meniscus trim 23/08/06