Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Euflexxa??  (Read 20508 times)

Offline mpiorkow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Euflexxa??
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
I am a 41 year old with advanced osteoathritis in right knee. I have had one ACL reconstruction as well as 4 scopes in the last 15 years. After the last scope My OS said I may need a knee replacement in next 5 years. I have an articular cartlige tear on medial side of femur. He suggested Euflexxa. I have read up on it but since it is new there are not to many articles from people who have used it. Has anyone out there used it yet???

I am ready to do whatever it takes to get the knee feeling up to par again did not know if Euflexxa would work.

knee deep in Goo

Re: Euflexxa??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
oRTHOVISC® has the highest concentration of hyaluronic acid available. 

15 mg/mL                         10 mg/mL                   10 mg/mL                  8 mg/mL

ORTHOVISC®                   HYALGAN®                  SUPARTZ®                SYNVISC®

and all four of these are from an avian source.

Euflexxa is compared to the concentration of synvisc.  Euflexxa composition is not from an Avian source but bio Engineered.

Offline mpiorkow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »
My OS has suggested it to me, but was curious if anyone has used this and if so, how they have progressed with it.

Offline speer03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:26:17 AM »
This is the difference in Supartz and Orthovisc, besides that Orthovisc failed it's first three attempts with the FDA and magically had it granted when it included some wording in it's packaging - "no clinically significant..."

Orthovisc -
ORTHOVISC® is proven safe and effective. In clinical studies, side effects were similar to placebo. The most common side effects were joint pain, back pain, and headache.

Some people experienced pain, swelling, heat, rash, itching, bruising, and/or redness in the injection area. Side effects were generally mild and lasted a short time. If any symptoms or other problems occur, you should report it to your doctor.
ORTHOVISC® is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to hyaluronate formulations or known avian or avian-derived allergies, including eggs, feathers, or poultry. ORTHOVISC® should not be injected in patients with infections or skin diseases in the area of the injection site or joint. Strict aseptic technique should be used. The effectiveness of more than one course has not been established.

Supartz -
SUPARTZ has been used world-wide in over 155 million injections since 1987. Safety was evaluated in five well controlled clinical trials. There were no statistically significant differences in the incidence rates of these adverse events between SUPARTZ and the control of saltwater injections.

The most common adverse events occurring in SUPARTZ-treated patients were defined as joint pain with no evidence of inflammation, joint pain with evidence of inflammation, back pain, pain (non-specific), injection site reaction, headache, and injection site pain. There was no significant difference in control and SUPARTZ treatment groups.

Offline pxs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 02:32:35 PM »
i tried euflexxa and it helped a little, not dramatically but noticeably.
i have a grade 4 cartilage lesion on the underside of the patella from a dislocation.
the euflexxa improved comfort a little so that i was able to increase weights and workout intensity a little, and have gained some strength.
the knee still gets irritated if i push too much and then i take anti-inflam. to calm it down.

Offline snap crackle pop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
I am looking for the same answers as you are.  My doctor has also recomended euflexxa.  Someone responded to my question and mentioned that there is another one she has heard of called Durolane.  I was going to ask my doctore about this one because it only requires one injection instead of the 3 series with eufexxa.  I alos have a friend that is a pharamasist that also does alot of research on different medications and I was hoping to find out more.

How did the scope work for you?  That is another of my choices.  This was the route I wanted to take, but now after being on this site I am not so sure. 

Thanks
Lisa

Offline Hexter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
My OS has suggested it to me, but was curious if anyone has used this and if so, how they have progressed with it.

I just received my third euflexxa inj. today.   I began feeling some relief after my second one.  Was told by doc. that i may not feel results for 3-4 weeks after last injection.
My case was a simple lateral meniscus flap removal outpatient surgery.  went well but developed staph infection 48hrs post op (Aug 2006).   Had picc line in for 70 days.  was in PT for 6 months 5 days a week.   took 6 months just to get extension down to 5 degrees and flexion to 120 degrees.
if these injections allow me to work on leg strengthening, partic. around knee, then i'll be a happy camper.
would like to hear from others taking euflexxor.
thanks
hex

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:44:20 PM »
I had my second injection of HYALGAN today in my natural knee. (left)     
I had orthovisc in my right knee (june 2006 ) six months prior to my TKA. (right)  My implant is four months old .. (almost) as of this writting.

I believe it all depends on how far gone your knee is degenerated and it is a crap shoot well worth the bull you have to go through to avoid a surgery and better than popping pills to take away the pain.

Also if it is worth anything...   six months ago my OS was not concerned about avian source injectables   Suddenly this year he turned his mind around on it and wants only synthetic substances to reduce risk of being subjected to bird flu.   I am not sure if that has anything to do that I have an implant or what.

Just trust your OS.   He will help you!!

Offline deesebring

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:31 PM »
I got the series of 3 shots of Euflexxa in August and it was absolutely amazing! I'm 42 & have always had snap, crackle, pops in my knees but it got a lot worse when I injured it dancing for too many hours and then falling on both on the concrete. The Euflexxa worked amazingly well, only thing is it only lasted about 3 months, so 1 shot a week for 3 weeks, every 3 months seems like a lot. But if its all there is, its wonderful!

support