Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My First post - 6 months post ACL reconstruction  (Read 1021 times)

Offline ronan76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My First post - 6 months post ACL reconstruction
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:57:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

Had a quick look through the forums and already got some good info. I had ACL reconstruction in november '05. It went well and I was with the most recommended knee surgeon in Ireland. I also had the cartilidge trimmed.. He was going to remove it but didn't have to.
Anyway after four months he gave me the all clear.. said it was doing really well and said to get out on it test it out over the next six weeks.. I was running around a field and no problems at all, it felt great... of course i was being careful as there was still muscle waste...

It's now six months since it and i was at a wedding about 3 weeks ago.. I danced most of the night but didn't fall or hurt myself .. since then it hasn't been quite right.. I can't straighten my leg fully (well i can nearly but i have to use the theraband to get it warmed up). Sometimes when i walk my leg seems to snap back suddenly..which is sore but it seems to loosen it up... Actually if i was to "kick out" (like kicking a ball) that movement would hurt me, also i woudln't be able to kneel down sitting on my feet..it just doesn't go that far and would be sore.... the pain seems to be around the front of the knee..but sometimes it's hard to pin point exactly where it is... I can do squats, lunges etc no problem and I went to a personal trainer who reckons the ACL is fine but did say my hamstring was particularly weak on that side. He thinks there may be a bit of scar tissue aggravated or perhaps the cartilidge might have been pinched. Anyway just wondering if anyone at around the same stage is having problems. I plan to go to my physio again but I suppose i'm kind of looking for some reassuarance that everything is ok.. I've had knock backs like this a few times in the first few months..

Thanks in advance for the comments
Ronan
ACL reconstruction - 6 months post op - (patellar tendon graft)
meniscus trimmed at back of the knee
After 4 months was very good - A lot of soreness in the joint at the moment - ROM not as good as it was 2 months ago.

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: My First post - 6 months post ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »
Hi Ronan,

sorry can't help you much as I'm only a month post op ACLR. You might be better off posting this on the cruciate ligament section of the site. There's loads of peopls who are 6months plus ACLR.

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline ronan76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »
Thanks Dude!
After 4 months was very good - A lot of soreness in the joint at the moment - ROM not as good as it was 2 months ago.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »
Hi there
I had mine done last week in Oct 05

That snapping back thing happens to me if the knee is a bit stiff. You could have just aggravated some part of the knee that hadn't danced for a while, got some swelling and stiffness and....hey presto....symptoms.

If I were you I would do some basic quad sets, extension work and just take it easy to see if it settles. I find myself thinking it's all better then something really non-sporty makes me realise that my poor knee just isn't used to doing all that regular stuff and needs time to readjust.

GOOD LUCK

xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline ronan76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »
Thanks sparkle999 , I'm going to keep working it and take some anti inflam's to see if it settles down...