Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee pain when bending  (Read 788 times)

Offline corsica

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain when bending
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:51:45 PM »
Hello all,

I really need some advice from the forum as my mother is uninsured.

She (57) is in fairly good health and hasn't suffered any injuries, but was
on her foot a lot doing gardening & housework.

Recently she feels pain in the left knee cap (and the lateral side of the knee)
when:
1. bending knee (squat position)
2. sitting down normally ( femur and tibia at 90 degrees )
3. walking downstairs.

The pain is felt in the patella area and the side of knee. The side that hurts faces
the other leg.

Also, pressing on the patella itself and the lateral side causes some pain.

Her knee is allright when she keeps the leg fully stretched. When sitting down, she moves her lower leg forward as to minimize the knee bend.

I am looking for feedback on what it could be, ligaments or cartilage? MCL injuries possibly.

She took glucosamine sulfate but stopped after feeling discomfort in her chest and some headaches.

I am looking for any advice anyone may have.

THANKS!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: knee pain when bending
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:15:54 AM »
At her age, cartilage issues would be a very likely culprit.  Especially since there was no incident of trauma.  But you never know...

Anyway, by age 55+, one would expect any person to start experiencing some degeneration of the meniscus.  And if that has been an ongoing process, or if the person was very active/sporty or had any kind of alignment issues or just had bad luck, you might see osteoarthritis or articular cartilage damage by this age as well.

From the description you gave, you may want to look at potential degeneration of the medial meniscus (inner side of the knee) and/or articular cartilage degeneration of the patellar or area around it.  And potentially of the medial compartment.  The medial meniscus and degeneration possibility could be ruled in or  out by relatively inexpensive x-rays done in a weight-bearing stance.

Check out Dr. Grelsamer's excellent web page and his book "What your doctor may not tell you about knee pain and surgery."  Web site is http://www.kneehippain.com  There will be some good advice there on how to proceed.

Hope some of these thoughts help.  No one can diagnose anyone, just point you toward further reading and research, and give names of conditions which most commonly match the symptoms you describe to aid that research.  But that's no substitute for seeing a proper orthopedic surgeon....

Heather

PS the three activities you listed are VERY common ones for causing pain as they are very stressful to the knee joint.  But having pain when legs are bent to 90 degrees is indicative of degeneration--it's called "theatre/theater sign" or "movie-goer's knee," among other things.  I would definitely avoid squatting (get a gardening bench instead) and do stairs slowly and while holding the handrail....
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell