Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: outcome of GP appt, & long awaited OS appt on Wed!  (Read 3897 times)

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
outcome of GP appt, & long awaited OS appt on Wed!
« on: September 10, 2002, 12:50:57 AM »
Hi Everyone
My mom took me to see my GP today. We could tell he was angry. He said stuff in an accusing tone such as "You never mentioned any of this to me before! Your wrists, fingers, and ankles were swollen?!? This couldn't have gone on for so long!"
He scanned the OT's report and said "I think it's time you saw a rheumatologist". I GUESS SO EINSTEIN! 19 active joints...you think I should maybe see a rheumy?!? And even though until this appt he only knew about the knee pain, why did he rule out RA than? I could have had the pauci form where it only affects 5 joints or fewer... Instead its blame the victim again. But I've got my refferal to a rheumy. Mom gave the phone # of the rheumy in Barrie to the secretary. And he signed the handicap parking papers to. We forgot them with the secretary who had to stamp them or something, but oh well, we'll pick them up after we get home from my appt in London. He tried to save his butt from appearing incompetent by saying that my blood tests were negative for RA, but my mother told him that research shows that over 1/2 of children with RA don't have any positive tests! Well after hearing my mom say that he convienently remembered that he knew that. We did get him to spit out that he thought it was JRA so now we can get the forms for funding help.

Phew, glad I got all that off my chest. Its so tiring and stressful going through all of these appts. Tomorow, bright and early we leave for my London appt. It's a 6 hour car ride, than add on a stretch stop every hour. It'll probably take 7.5 hours all together. We're staying at my aunt's farm 45 mins out of the city so we at least don't have to fork out for hotel costs.

Thank you everyone for being so supportive, understanding, and caring. It has really helped me get through this trying time.

I hope you are all well and are feeling as good as your condition allows you.  Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for all the ideas, love, and well wishes that you all have given me.

(((Hugs))) n' healing to my "virtual net' family"

rhea

7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Cecelia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Art is good therapy
Re: outcome of GP appt, & long awaited OS appt on
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 01:31:53 AM »
Rhea, I'm so glad that you are finally getting the help that you need.  :-*  Good going on your part. It's such a shame that we have to fight so much to get the needed help. I guess in today's world we have to be our own diagnosticians. Hopefully, better days are ahead!  ;D
Fell on kneecap 10/01. My doctor thinks I have more pain than my injury warrants. I do not make this up. No surgeries as doctor doesn't think they will help me. Gives me 50/50 on TTT.

Stacey

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 04:57:50 AM »
Hey Rhea
Just wanted to say good luck with Dr. Fowler on wednesday even though im sure you wont need it.  about extra testing.  When i got there they did xrays before i even went in to see him so you probably wont have to stay there any longer then for the appointment.  Let me know what he says and your opinoion of him.  I am interested in hearing what other people think of him.

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 06:22:01 AM »
Thank you Cecelia and Stacey!  Im "cautiously optimistic", Stacey about seeing Dr. Fowler. I have a good feeling about this appt... And I found a write up on him from KNEE1.com (http://www.knee1.com/hero/hero.cfm/18) and feel even better after reading that.  And than I got a phone call from a very special friend that helped me relax, and take a time out.  It really cheered me up after a very stressful week.

(((hugs))) n' healing

rhea

ps, Cecelia you are so right!  I've been saying for the past 3 yrs that you have to look after yourself, and be your own dr.  I was the one who got my own assesment done by the arthritis society.  I reffered myself to this OS  I see on Wednesday.  It was my mom and I who figured out the JRA diagnosis.  And it was I who found out that torodol is only meant to be taken 5 days MAX, and last year my GP gives me a 2 month supply!  I don't want to sound anti-doctor.  There are some great ones out there.  But if you are stuck with a not so great one, you've really gotta look out for yourself.  

I hope you are well!

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Grace

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • wish i could fly like superman..or at least walk
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 08:42:41 AM »
Good luck Rhea, hunny!  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers Wed!!  I know you have waited a long time for this and i am sure it will work out!
Don't stress before the appt!!  Bring pictures of your dear little doggie with you and stay calm!!!
Make the trip fun....sing in the car..roll the windows down and breathe the fresh air!  And after the tappt goes great (cause we know it will) celebrate...have a nice dinner or go out for ice cream or something.  
Do better than me and stay positive!!
Good luck and i want to know how it goes as soon as you get back!!

all the hugs and good vibes and good stuff i can send to ya - Gracie
8 months of continuous physical therapy
plica excision/ shaving 6-10-02
5 months of agressive physical therapy
modified Fulkerson and lateral release 5-13-03
currently in limbo

Helen_uk

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 01:29:40 PM »
Good luck rhea
You are a though cookie this is a big step forward and getting all the information you can will help you live with this and get on with the important things in life
I will be thinking of you
H xxx

Offline Liz_-_UK

• Forum Faithful
  • Together is the bestest place to be
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2002, 07:34:03 PM »
Rhea,
I guess you've probably left by now but take care and good luck. I'll keep everything crossed.
Liz
xxx
03/95 - LR on left knee, 08/95 - LR on right knee, 03/98 - failed TTT left knee. Several scopes. 12/01 TTT and LR on left knee. Great for a while but now more problems.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2002, 09:41:14 PM »
Rhea

Grrrr, Gp's eh? Anyhow, forget about the incompetence of him for just now while you get Dr. Fowlers opinion on your knees, hope it goes really well and hope it weights in your defence against you GP. Lets hope he has a guilt trip over the way he has treated you.

Luv Iona

support