Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ladies , I need your help  (Read 2517 times)

South African babe

Ladies , I need your help
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:08:26 PM »
Hello all

I had a TPF in December 2005 , operation a week later with internal fixation (plate and 3 screws) , leg wouldn't bend so I had a MUA in March 2006.
I saw the OS on Monday , he was very happy with my progress and said I don't have to see him again (unless there's problems). Plate and screws to remain in leg. My knee is still slightly swollen and I don't have full extension yet. And instead of walking normally I kind of drag my injured leg along. The OS said that would come right in time I must just keep on doing the exercises.   
For the past 6 months I have been wearing flat shoes and trousers. I miss my dresses and high-heels and would like to wear them again but I'm scared I might do damage to my leg.   
Now what I would like to know is whether I should go ahead and try wearing the high-heels or should I wait for a while. It is winter at the moment so I don't mind the flat shoes and trousers, but come September I would like to be wearing my dresses and high-heel sandals.   
Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rosa

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ladies , I need your help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:31:13 PM »
Hi
start samll and work up!
I have some 2 inch heels to wear with trousers which are REALLY clumpy and have like hiking grips on the bottom. This got me used to being in 'that' walking position. Now I find I can wear heels but I wear wedges and heels woth grip on the bottom and a large area in contact with the ground. And I NEVER wear heels for a long period (though before injury I would wear them on my feet all day). Look at it this way. When you DO wear heels it will be such a change everyone will say how amazing you look:) :)
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline ruthpan29

• Regular Poster
  • 24 yr old ditzy gal
    • All about my torn ligament and folded meniscus
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »
Hahah. I am dying to wear my heels too... cos i am short... (5ft1) ... use to wear my 2.5 inch heels... but i guess i will stay off heels for a while. I heard they are very bad for knees! Especially during this healing period.
You may want to try the bohemian look... flats with sassy long skirts! :P
Complete ACL tear and bucket handle tear - 23/03/06
Meniscus repair 31/3/06
ACL allograft - 8/5/06
http://2btorn.blogspot.com

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
High heels are bad even if you have good knees! They put your entire body into a position it wasn't designed to be in. You should start with really small heels and work up if you must.
But yikes, if it were me i'd steer clear. But of course, i'm a farmer, not a bussiness woman so... high heels just don't cut it in the barn.
;)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

South African babe

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:33:11 AM »
Thank you very much for your responses, it was all very helpful. I will start practising with really small heels at home and see how it goes. I definitely don't want to fall and injure myself again , so I will take it easy.

You may want to try the bohemian look... flats with sassy long skirts! :P
:D I LIKE !!!!!!!   

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 04:47:41 PM »
I have different kinds of knee issues so this doesn't necessary pertain! I realize that walking down hill is really painful for me. I was looking at heels (little ones, I like to be near to the ground!) for a special occasion. I put them on and immediately, it was painful. My boyfriend pointed out that wearing heels puts me in the position of always walking down hill! Forget that! I live in Dansko clogs. Do you have those where you live? They are expensive but last forever and have a fabulous arch. I can't drive with anything else now. And I think they look smart, but then I am a former hippy small town girl!
KatieO
5/98 twisting injury
10/98 ACL partial tear repair/ and RSD
10/01 ACL reconstruction w/allograft
7/03 LR
1/06 diagnosed with patella baja
7/5 open knee surgery for IPCS
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage...Anais Nin

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
hi girls

I went to my OS appt wearing heels today. He said nothing until the end then asked how long I wear them for. I told him only for a couple of hours or for a sit down evening do and he said that was ok, but to stop wearing them if it hurt! He did say that for long periods of standing/walking heels would not do my kee any good at all.

So that was me told! But not REALLY told!

xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

South African babe

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:57:14 AM »
 ;D Christmas has finally come early this year cause it seems like someone finally has a valid excuse to go shopping for some new 'sensible' shoes.   
I live in Dansko clogs. Do you have those where you live? They are expensive but last forever and have a fabulous arch. I can't drive with anything else now. And I think they look smart, but then I am a former hippy small town girl!
KatieO
I haven't seen or heard of these but I will definitely ask around when I go shopping this week-end.

GOOD BYE high heels ,  HELLO happy legs and knees !!!!         

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:20:48 PM »
Call it therapy shopping but it is really practical and necessary shopping, so that is even better. Yes, there are cute alternatives to heels. I, however, so rarely find shoes that don't make my knee worse. I prefer shopping for liittle summer tops!
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

Offline jm121205

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 03:53:01 PM »
I stopped wearing traditional heels about 2 years before my knee issues.  The funny thing is that now I look at a coworkers teal high heels and drool!  I think it is because I know I am going through a period where I have no choice.  I am condemned to another two or three months in a brace so I am limited to what shoes I will wear with that awful ball and chain brace chewing at them.  I live in the states and get two catalogues Travelsmith, from which came my magic purple huaraches -- and if purple is not your color they come in bright orange, navy and other colors, and Footsmart.  I haven't actually ordered anything from them yet but there are some shoes that will give me the options of formalish shoes for when I want that look.  I am grateful that ballet shoes are in style now.  They are flat and can work with pants or shirts. Naot, Mephisto and Roots are all brands that make interesting comfy shoes.

The late great Gilda Radner said, "I am basing my wardrobe on things that don't itch."   I have passed the point in my life when I am willing to be in agony to be fashionable.  Style is an individual statement, fashion changes with the season.  Invest in yourself and enjoy it!! 
11/1/05 clean patella fracture
12/12/15 shattered patella, emergency surgical repair
2/06 to 4/06 attempting to convince them something was not right
4/26/06 recheck with surgeon: original break not healing and wires from surgery broken
5/26/06 Second Surgery
8/16/06 no more brace

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »
I am of the comfortable clothes sort, too! Nice quote. I also have to have decent arches in my shoes, not flat flat!
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

Offline JSW82576

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 03:52:10 AM »
Oh how I miss my heels....alas sandels have become my new friend.  This is a great website to buy shoes from, not to expensive and quality has been good for me   www.gothamcityonline.com, they are actually have a sandel sale right now.  I am just glad it's summer, I don't own shoes for winter but than again, I do live in Florida and it doesn't get to cold here.  Being a girl can be so dificult sometimes!  I hope those boys appreciate all that we do!

Jamie
Knee dislocation 2/04
Knee dislocation 2/05
Scope LR and open medial plication VMO 4/06

South African babe

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 07:17:18 AM »
I am grateful that ballet shoes are in style now. They are flat and can work with pants or shirts.
That makes 2 of us, this week-end I ended up buying these in every available colour. And since I was on a roll I decided to buy some long skirts and ear-rings to match my beautiful ballet shoes. 
Thank you all ........I haven't felt this good about myself in a long time. 
  :D  Rosa

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »
Rosa,
Here's to new clothes and feeling good about yourself! Good for you!
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:28:37 PM »
I have bad arches... and needed summer open toe'd shoes reallly really bad..  So I went to QVC and found Birki's .. patent leather sandals with arch supports. .  Normally they would be the ugliest things in the world.. Somehow I am looking at them like little princess shoes..

I cant wear heels . I cant wear flip flops..   bad heel bad knee..   wot a mess..

Dansko ?  hmmmm..  ..   Thank god these shoes look good with clothing from old navy