Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 stiff legs = panic mode (I'm scared)  (Read 1389 times)

Offline monalisa50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 stiff legs = panic mode (I'm scared)
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:02 AM »
hi new here, already posted on general subject then saw this.  I am scared, I am having a acl reconstruction, torn cartilage and not sure what else, i already have 1 totally stiff leg so everything wil be doublely harder to do and my big concern is going to the freaking bathroom, i got a 3 in one toilet but won't know if I can get on and off the freaking thing and I don't have a very strong bladder at all.  I mean i can go every 10 minutes it is bad. and I don't sleep through the night.  i know this may sound stupid to some people ,I'm not a wimp, I have been through a horrible experience years ago and have relied on my one good leg for 28 years, now this. I want to be self reliant and contain my modesty and dignity. I have a husband and daughter ( he will be out on the couch, gets up sometimes at 4am) I am just hoping I can put enough weight on my leg to get out of bed, pivot and get on the el toileto by myself and back into bed, I tell people who don;t get my concern to sit down straighten both legs and then try to get up with no help... very very hard to do.  thanks for letting me vent some.  wish me luck. i know i;ll survive.
monalisa

Offline lovemybones

• Regular Poster
  • "every thought we think is creating our future"-LH
Re: 2 stiff legs = panic mode (I'm scared)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:05:10 PM »
Monalisa, I feel for you regarding your apprehension for reconstructive surgery.  When I was completely incapacitated with a cast on my arm and leg and in a great deal of pain, my home health care providers ordered a portable commode that can you can keep near your bed.  Has a chair with a removable bucket.  It's an ego buster for sure and probably a bit hard for the person who has to empty it, but when you're healing and in pain, you tend to get over it.  So you may want to look into this.  I used it for about a week, and then it doubled as a toilet raiser (placed directly over the toilet) when I could actually go to the bathroom by myself.  I hope your surgery goes well and I wish you the best with everything.

Crystal
10/05 motorcycle crash - pilon fracture right tib/fib,ankle, foot, 1st metatarsal & thumb - 3 surgeries, 2 plates & 18 screws
12/05 fell down stairs in short cast, femoral condyle fracture (right knee)
11/06 femoral osteotomy & ankle hardware removal + 1 femur plate & 6 screws in knee
1/07 mua

Offline laxplayer5

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 05:25:53 PM »
I know exactly how you feel. I'm fifteen and have a large tear in my meniscus that extends from the white to the red zone of my knee. Also I suffer temporary paralysis. Most likely I will be in a wheel chair after my meniscus repair and have had to use on several times before. I would just do as much  PT as possible and get movemwtn in you good leg.
December 01-Chromadic Pattela tracking problem
January 06- Tear in Patellar Tendon (no surgery
Febuary 06-Paralysis Sprees gone now
March 06- knee tendinitis in L and R
August 06- suspected meniscus tear

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
I can understand that fear! i think, you might have to give in a little to that real need you have to be in total control. I don't think you really at first anyway should be trying to do that stuff all yourself. :(

I wish you all the luck with your surgery and recovery.

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline monalisa50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:58:52 PM »
thanks ladies for the post, today i cleaned the house got my portable toilet(nickname john potty), walker, crutches, and different  essentials i figured I would need back in my bedroom from a small cooler, water bottles, books, crosswords, wipes, snacks, flashlight, tray, meds, glass, tissues, mp3 player, tv, don't have a laptop though, phone nearby, cell phone charger, etc. Mr. John Potty is parked right beside my bed.  Surgery is tommorrow. I hope first thing. guess I'll post again to say how everything went and when I can get around.frankenstein legs is signing off
monalisa50

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 12:51:49 AM »
I felt the same way before surgery..   I made my famiily get those blue pads you put under old people..   I planned my potty trips according to my medicine schedule..  a few times I thought i tipp over..  Getting off the bowl was a hoot .. and I thought my good leg was going to just give in at times.

Truth is nobody wants to not hold it in and have an accident.in the middle of the night.. Water proof covers..