Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wheelie use  (Read 981 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
Wheelie use
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:50:20 AM »
Hey all,

After reading posts about some requiring/borrowing/renting/hi-jacking wheelchairs I wondered if any of you have tried to use those scooter trolley thingys at Asda? Or tried to borrow one of their customer wheelchairs to do shopping?

I went to Asda today and asked if I could use one of their motorised car things with attached basket for customer use. I wouldn't normally, but my knee felt so unstable, even being strapped up like a Christmas turkey and also wearing a full knee brace. I was told they weren't for customers unless I could prove I was disabled!

I wasn't particularly impressed with this.So I went to tesco instead. Just wondering about others' experiences of this.

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Ouch!!
Re: Wheelie use
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:37:13 AM »
ASDA were great with me when I needed help, just said 'no problem, just help yourself'.  I did squash a few customers and a pile of cornflakes en route though ;D and they gave me a hand to the car and loaded it up for me.  Sadly the nice young man wouldnt come home to unload the shopping for me ;D ;D ;D
If they are funny with you, all you have to do is tell them 'its OK, Im sure Tesco's wont refuse my money', they are 99.9% sure to change their mind on the scooter :P
I have always found ASDA very helpful though.

Heather ;) 
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 09:07:46 PM »
I have used them in Asda and Tesco and both times I have been visably disabled what with strapping and bandages and stuff. I can't believe they questioned you! You should have shoved your disabled parking badge under their noses! Silly sods! Alternatively you could have shoved your broken toes somewhere unmentionable! Mind you saying that it would have hurt you a lot more than them!

I had great fun using them although like Heather I wan't that great a driver! Especially with reversing! Oops!

Happy Days
Hop

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:54:47 AM »
I think I added a few more disabled people to the population with my driving on the ASDA scooter!! :o

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:41:07 AM »
Thing is as a young person .. I wouldnt want to use a scooter .. unless i really really needed it..  I would have said to the person who questioned ..  my wanting to use it..  oh are you going to go in and get me what I need..

I guess people do not understand .. once you lost your ability to do something normal.. you go through a period of not wanting to appear disabled.. and than .. you get to the point where you say f it.. and take on all options you have.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »
Hey,

I've given up on being embarrassed bacusd I need help getting about. Without help, I'm stuck at home with my stumpy knee for company. Not much of a choice, so if there are options for help out there, I take em and make the most of em!

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline blanksie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »
l tried one in b&q it was great- very long ailsles felt a bit like being on a dodgem,i did feel i needed "L" plates though . The thinks we do for excitment!!!!