Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hints or tips for pre ACLR peeps?  (Read 7608 times)

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
Hints or tips for pre ACLR peeps?
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:40:35 AM »
Hi guys,

Just read about a few people who have their ops imminent and thought it might be good to say what we did or should have done to make life easier after the op.

E.g...... I should have got someone to make me a flask of tea in the morning and then I could have it whenever I wanted and wouldn't need to struggle getting up to boil the kettle and make a cup of tea only to find that I couldn't actually carry the cup into the lounge anyway what with crutches and no weight bearing!

What's your tip?!? It can be anything.....
Sez :)
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06 
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 27
Re: Hints or tips for pre ACLR peeps?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:15:31 AM »
- Put plastic chair into shower to sit on when washing
- Have plenty of ice packs to keep rotation of cold packs.. nothing worse than thawed ice pack when cold is needed! (4+)
- If one lives alone, make copies of keys to give to trusted friends + family to bring food and help
(on this point, I have an auto roller garage, and it was much easier to push the button and let people in to my house via garage and side door than having to get up all the time and open the door!)
- Have easy ready to eat stuff floating around or go hungry (I went hungry :( )
- Make a home on the couch with everything, connect powerboards near couch-home, plug all gadgets (chargers, phones, laptops etc) in so everything is reachable when lying down.
- Have torch nearby just in case, and plug in a desk lamp on above powerboard - you wont want to be switching off lights you forgot about
- If you have a dvd cllection to watch - and a laptop - watch em on the laptop - you wont want to get up to put the dvds in the player by the tv
- Keep an acl journal now - later you wont remember what happened and you will want to because your fellow kneegeeks will be aking for help, what exercises you did and how you felt at X weeks!
- Keep a plastic bottle by couch bed. You will wake up and need to go to the toilet... you wont want to get up. Use bottle. IMPORTANT: Make sure its a big enough bottle - I made this mistake and frankly, a full bottle and half empty bladder is just the worst of all worlds.
- Keep a water bottle by couch too. IMPORTANT: Dont get bottles confused in the night.
- Keep towels around the shower area, especially 1-2 to use on the floor - nothing worse than crutches + wet floor

START YOUR REHAB IMMEDIATELY!
That means right now, before you even have surgery!!!

:)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:17:29 AM by feeny »
Sep-05 ACL rupture, Medial mensical tear, MCL rupture
Oct-05 Had it all repaired (hamstring graft, meniscal rivet)
-and then-
4.5 Months post-op Snowboarding like a demon
7 Months post-op Successful return to indoor soccer (YEH!)
-and then-
Mar-2015 Arthroscopy to fix meniscus

Offline zengirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
Have a bucket by your bed if you tend to need the loo in the night - go in there instead of having the hassle of walking downstairs on crutches in the middle of the night when tired - it's just too dangerous. You don't want to even risk a fall.

Also, build up those muscles before the operation. I went fitness crazy with the running and training to make myself as strong as possible going into the op. I didn't want to waste away afterwards and I wanted to make a quick recovery. I think it helps if you're already fit.

Try and have someone live with you for the first three days after the op - or go and live with your mum! That's what I did and it was wonderful - both pyschologically and physically.
Feb '03 Ladies badminton, bad fall, detached ACL
May '06 - ACL reconstruction & meniscus repair
Complications - swelling, pain, lack of flexion/extension, 50% graft failure
Jan '07 Arthoscopy, debride, removal of adhesions & 50% of graft
Attempting to rebuild muscles so can continue sport & life

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:33:22 AM »
i reckon dont live upstairs if it can be avoided! I lived downstairs for two weeks!
-and then-
-and then-

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 11:57:30 AM »
Get a mug with a lid and a carry strap of some sort, I had a mug with a lid but no strap, I found a velcro one which enabled me to get my cup of tea to the sofa, also get a small back pack or bumbag, totally invaluable for collecting those bits you forgot to organise round your sofa before you went in for surgery.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline AllanD

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:40:03 PM »
I think I am going to learn to play guitar or something, could be a suggestion to keep your mind off your knee?
Injured whileplaying football 18/10/05
Ruptured ACL
Torn Meniscus
Impaction fracture to Tibia
Torn Muscles around my Knee.
Went to A&E told it was just an Infusion (swelling) and take painkillers. Returned to football and did more damage and finally got MRI.
02/06/06 - ACLR - Private Hospital.

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 02:09:17 PM »
I am a guitar player! Good luck with it - I say learn it anyway - but let me warn you I found the thing bloody hard to hold with my leg stretched out in front of me all the time!
-and then-
-and then-

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »
it depends,which leg is in plaster.But learning guitar is a great idea.I,for example,was just sitting and depressing myself and others,instead of doing something useful.I also did the thread in one forum,where they gave me different answers what to do,when plastered, I ll post them:
#go to beach,but i think that sand between plaster isnt the greatest feeling,also the first weeks are very painful and sweat and stuff like that cant do any good in my oppinion.
#play computer games
#do leg raises all the time
#watch movies
#go to parties(also not the greatest idea in my oppinion,when your friends start betting on how fast you can crtuch from one place to another:P)
#just chill outside somewhere
#get a friend who would drive around everywhere with you(when i was in plaster i wasnt able to drive good at all)
#Knit/crochet :D,also good thing,when you are reeealy bored
#learn some programs in computer(html;photoshop etc)
#draw on the plaster
#travel(not as easy as it seems)
#build houses out of matches
#shoot clay plates in shooting place
#learn cooking
#call friends to your house
#call girls to your house to feel pitty for you
#carve things out of wood
#Meet girls in internet,because plaster helps alot,when it comes to girls(could not be true:P),thought later on it worked,i got to know one girl with whom i still chat till today.
#train your hand musles
#crossbowing
#do photographs
#think over lifes most greatest secrets and about yourself(well,that would take months)
#reconstruct some old piece of furniture
#eat strawberries and other stuff like that,which doesent make you gain weight.
Anyway,i think here are many things you could do,thought i think you wanted to know,what you should do,to make your life easier and better.Still,mabe these things help.Whatever you do,dont waste time as i did,do something useful.I regret,that i didnt donothing much,most of the time i was just hanging outside,and when plaster was taken off and i was able to start walking little by little,i went to cinema for example.I had very helpful friends who were also hanging outside or inside whereever i was,i really thank them for that.Anyway,i hope you have huge toilet,or else... ;D
great experience,as i look now,i wasnt thinking like this when i was in plaster.
I also hated the most popular song around here,which heading was like:"the summer is still coming and staying" I was plastered almost at the start of the summer,so yeah,the great summer was still coming:D
Ok,take care,you will be fine for sure.
unhappy triad

Offline planetloz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »
Sez, great post. Here are my tips when not mobile.

1. I agree with Feeny you've got to build yourself a den. Bottle of water, snacks (or go hungry in the night and can't go  back to sleep, it happens). Laptop with internet connection if you have one so you can chat to knee geeks. Bedpan for the first few days, negotiating the toilet is awkward. A flask of tea is a nice idea. Magazines, books, a diary (mine predictably is called 'the knee'), pens, phone. Kids are quite good you can use their legs to fetch you stuff.
2. Stairs are tricky. Choosing between being upstairs or downstairs is tricky, my toilets are upstairs but the food is downstairs....
3. Use an apron to put bits and pieces in to transport.
4. plastic chair in bath is good but if you are not allowed to have bath/shower then a tall stool in the bathroom in front of the basin is nice, and you can rest your leg on the toilet, side of bath etc.
5. I have 2 lists, 1 for the people who have helped me in anyway so I know who to thank when I am recovered and the other one of all the nice things I am going to do once I can walk properly and back to normal, and keep adding to it.

best of luck
June 04: arthroscopic surgery to trim medial meniscus tear
April 06: ski injury: torn ACL, further tear in the posterior horn of medial meniscus, bone bruising of lateral fibial plateau. foot cyst excision 24/6/06, ACL recon hamstring, meniscus trim 23/08/06

Offline smileyselina

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun fun
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »
Thanks for these, from someone awaiting ACLR

I must admit, the boredom was the worst part of recovery from my last surgery but I didnt know this site then and am sure it will help me next time  :)

PS even though I havent had ACLR yet can I add "do not cut own hair" something that bordeom and inability to get to hairdressers caused me to do after last op. I did look a mess!  ;D

Offline eleanor7

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 05:05:26 PM »
I bought some of those high calorie energy bars and cut them into pieces. Those next to my bed along with a water bottle really helped when I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to take meds. Quick, easy, and back to sleep.

Lots  of easily accessable snacks and meals for the kids. Husband too:)

I also found a knapsack quite handy for when I started to travel about the house and neighborbood. Easier to take one trip to the living room, kitchen, store......Also great for when I went back to work.

Finally, as many others have stated - Anything you can do to get yourself physically ready for surgery. weights, running, rom etc...... it all helps!
3/06 complete acl tear. severe sprain to lcl and mcl (L knee)
5/12/06 acl reconstruction with achilles allograph
2/14/07 complete acl tear. (R knee)
3/2/07 acl reconstruction with achilles allograph

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 06:09:04 PM »
I agree with Henri - "call girls to house" excellent idea (LOL!)

one minor thing - I wish I'd trimmed my toenail before my op as it's really difficult to do afterwards!

Also you could shave your leg preop, to save you a job before the anaesthetic.

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »
Hi Robin,

I waxed my legs before the op. saved having to do it for a while afterwards....probably not for blokes though!

Sez ;D
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06 
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
they shaved my leg on the second operation,while i was on table,before doing THE cut:P
I dont remember,weather they shaved my leg after the first operation,but i think they have a specialst for this:D
unhappy triad

Offline archkiter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 01:10:59 AM »
check with your OS about shaving your legs before the op.  My OS said no shaving the bad leg for 1 week before the op because if there are any scratches or wounds, even if they are very small, the op will have to be rescheduled because he doesn't want any increased risk of infection.

Anyway, great thread.  I need all the tips I can get before the big day.  Right now I am most concerned about the stairs.  I live on the third floor of an apartment building and our elevator has been breaking down regularly.  I discussed the possiblilty of having to reschedule the op if the elevator is not working but the doctors assistant didn't seem to think that it would be a big deal coming home from surgery and having to navigate 2 steep flights of stairs  :o !  I really hope that the elevator is working .... please, please, please.....
3/14/2006- Torn ACL and Lateral Meniscus- kite landboarding
6/9/2006- ACLr (achillies allograft) & Lateral Meniscus repair (shave)- Found out that ACL was completely ruptured!
6/13/2006- PT begins....