Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain when removing a shoe...?  (Read 21526 times)

Offline tj_333

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain when removing a shoe...?
« on: May 29, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »
OK - first, a little bit of background.  Right knee has been scoped twice, less than one year apart and it's been about three years since the most recent scope.  First time there was a tear in the anterior horn of the medial meniscus, second time there was another tear in the anterior horn as well as "significant" (the Doctors word) plica.  In between the two surgeries I had decided it was a good idea to run a triathlon and evidently re-tore the meniscus...in retrospect, maybe not the best choice I've ever made.

After the second surgery, it's been better - not like prior to surgery, but at least not constant pain.  However, I seem have done something new to it.  Pain and popping when I kneel, as well as posterior pain, which seems to indicate another anterior tear, but the weird symptom that I have been unable to find any information on is that when I take off a shoe the lazy way - stepping on the heel of the shoe - I get pain increased pain.  Basically, a pulling motion away from my hip increases the pain dramatically.

Anyone else ever have this?  Hear of this?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Pain when removing a shoe...?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:30:58 AM »
I really must ask you..do you get pain when trying put on shoe too ?
I have had this problem for years..if you read my profile you see that I have serious problems with my knee. I have never gotten the answer why it hurts when putting on or taking of shoes, but somehow it has to be with the angle I have the foot in when putting on and taking of shoes.
Finally I quit asking as people just stared at me and didn't believe that this could cause pain in my knee. So this is really something i would like to have an answer on too.
Have you ever talked with yoru doc about it ?

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tj_333

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:36:25 AM »
No, for me it's only when taking off a shoe - and it appears to be related to the "pulling" involved in removing the shoe, if that makes sense.  I'm guessing (haven't tested this out, yet) that if i had someone pull on my foot it would cause the same pain.

I haven't talked to my Doc yet - I haven't seen him since the last post-op visit from the most recent surgery, and I'm honestly debating if there is any point in going back to him...I've been through several doctors, and he's by far the best, but I just wonder what else he can do after two scopes other than a third...

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 07:47:53 AM »
I have never thought of it so far but maybe a phys should be able explaining why this hurts.
Have you enough with muscles around your knee and are they in balance ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tj_333

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:28:40 AM »
Yes, I've got a fair amount of muscle - in proportion - around my knees...my PT seems to have worked and I have not experienced muscle atrophy.

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »
When I was recovering from my "hamstring" ACL reconstruction I pulled my shoes off in that lazy way out of habit but after a couple of times I had to stop and start doing it properly ie undo laces etc.  This was because I pulled the hamstring on my operated leg each time I tried doing it the lazy way and as my graft came from there, it really hurt!

Rachel

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 05:08:12 PM »
I have the increased pain if I take my shoes off the lazy way. I have no idea why. Any pulling sensation is extremely painful to my knee. Even when my PT tests my knee, it is excrusiating.  I need to ask my OS why when I see him again.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis