Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post arthroscopy pain  (Read 4245 times)

Offline sarah06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post arthroscopy pain
« on: May 28, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »
Hi all. I had an arthroscopy 3 and half weeks ago and still experiencing some problems. I know that this is perfectly normal and I wasn't overly concerned until my GP and the surgeon disagreed. Basically I had a partial medial meniscectomy on the right knee. The surgeon descibed it as a significant tear and so a large part of the meniscus has had to be removed. After two weeks I went to see my GP to get signed off to go back to work. She asked me if everything was ok with it and I said yes about from the fact that I'm still getting a sharp stabbing pain on the medial side of the knee. She said that this was normal and that it was still early days. Heaved a sigh of relief and slowly trotted out of the office. A week later I saw the surgeon who went through what he did and said that he had removed the problem area and that everything should be ok now. I again mentioned the sharp stabbing pain and that it was happening more or less all the time and expected him to say the same as my GP. However he said that it was highly unusual, especially as  the pain  is exactly the same as it was before (a sharp catching when putting foot flat on the floor, just as I am about to pick it up again). He has told me to give it a couple of months and if its no better to go straight back to him. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if there's anything I can do to help it along. I'm doing all the exercises and trying to keep going but sometimes the pain is just as bad, if not worse than before.  :( 

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: post arthroscopy pain
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:24:04 PM »
hello. I can only testify to my own experience that I still had some sharp medial pain 7 weeks post medial meniscectomy, but that was prior to ACL reconstruction, meaning I had no ACL so my bones were shifting a lot. But I definitely did notice the pain was less and less each week and I think that is what you should look at here. Is the pain better this week than last and so on... That will tell you if you are in fact healing. I am convinced more than ever that these surgeries take upwards of 2 months of more before you feel painfree. Just read everyone's stories.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
Hi there
a friend of mine had exactly the sam 3 weeks ago and he is also still getting a lot of pain.

From memory of my last arthroscopy it does take some time for everything to settle down again - dont forget that although you only have tiny incisions on the  outside - the inside of your knee has really gone through the mill - and bruising internally will take longer to heal - make sure you give it the rest it deserves as well as the exercises.

good luck
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:12:20 PM »
Hi, I have had exactly the same after my arthroscopy,I had a different procedure than you but same symptoms afterwards.It has been agony, I am now 5 weeks post op and still getting symptoms. Its better than it was but far from right. Still swollen and painful to touch, feels if I put foot down in the wrong way it is going to click,sharp stabbing pains and sometimes it feels like something is sharp jabbing me inside, apart from that its ok !!! I feel  stupid as people expect you to be ok by now and when your not it makes you feel like a whimp! I feel some days it worse than before the op, but even though I am complaining now it is better than it was say 2 weeks ago. Keep up with excercises and ice, and if needed pain killers, I have had to start taking the strong ones again at night. Good luck Lesley
Arthroscopy-excision of synovial plica  24th April 06 (left knee)

Offline Tahugo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »
I had a medial mnstctmy in Jan 05 and my knee is absolutely fine now -- I had no problems EXCEPT FOR SOME VERY SHARP PAINS two months later when I was trying to walk.  It would catch.  Usually after sitting then getting up to walk -- The pain would be sharp and shocking.  Then it would uncatch itself -- and I would be fine.  This happened for a few days in a row.  I was terribly worried.  Then it stopped forever.  So it settled in.  Now, it is as good as new (almost) -- I still get little faint twinges.

support