Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain scale system  (Read 7634 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: Pain scale system
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 08:43:08 PM »
Katie,

Tnaank you for your concern. it's great that Lindsay is graduating tomorrow but to have suffered like that at 18, I don't think I could've coped. I'm sure she'll do fine tomorrow at her graduation.

As far as having something tight around my knee is concerned - it's impossible. I should wear a full length hinged knee brace but the velcro has been glued several times and my son has been playing with the hinges so I need a new one. I can't see me wearing it anytime soon though.

I can only put my intolerable pain levels down to the RSD. there is no other reason for it, and yes, when in that much pain you do end up on the floor writhing in agony.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 01:35:41 AM »
http://www.nursingspectrum.com/iraq/part2/painassessment.cfm

Interesting article..

I am at a 7 today..  raining.. Wonder what its like to be pain free for a day.. I forget..   Oh wait.. If I lived my life in bed all the time.. I would be pain free..  But since that is not going to happen any time soon .. as long as I can... I will be crutching around..  and assorted body parts may hurt as well.. .. Can I actually put myself through  a two year  holding pattern..  ?      There is a point when your bearring the pain ..  is needless.. who are you hurting more ??? do you really need to sink to your lowest existence possible  before a young person gets a knee replacement..  or am I just at the point where I am crabby .. bcos  I pushed myself .. .. I didnt run a marathon .. all I did was get my butt into work. get coffee. . go to the bathroom three times and get lunch....on crutches..  oooo big day....  to me and to me only...   I did it.. not because the doctor is saying push your boundaries.. .. but I did it for me.. Who needs to see that simple things can be completed. 

Gosh this is why people retire.. isnt it ..

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 01:49:22 AM »
Knee Deep and Laura,
Sometimes life is too hard and I wonder if there is an alternative. I have thought about killing myself, actually, or more to the point, of somehow dying gracefully so that no one could blame me for being a wimp and killing myself. How pathetic is that? Pain just sucks. An eighteen year old manages, with crying and misery and all, and so do we. We get out of bed and get the coffee and do what needs to be done. Somehow. I am icing and pretty miserable at this  moment, nothing horrible, just enough to be VERY grumpy and hiding it completely from my boyfriend, whose house and computer I am at. I don't want him to know. I just can't get comfortable. Even in bed, it is sometimes not possible to find a position without any pain. I certainly wake up with pain. At least at Don's, no cats sleep on my feet. Cleo is a good kitty and one never moves a sleeping cat, but truthfully, she does hurt my knee that way. My pain is moderate, always there, maybe 4 to 7 on this scale, sometimes 8, but I also cannot imagine a time without pain. I can't remember. How DO we carry on? We do, though...
Hugs,
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
10/98 ACL partial tear repair/ and RSD
10/01 ACL reconstruction w/allograft
7/03 LR
1/06 diagnosed with patella baja
7/5 open knee surgery for IPCS
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage...Anais Nin

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 03:46:39 AM »
Katie et al,

We carry on becase we have to - for ourselves, our friends, our families, our work colleagues and just so that we get out of the house and have SOME quality of life, if that's what it can really be called.

Please don't kill yourself - just 'cos of your knee? It's not worth it. Don't let it get the better of you like I did.

Here it's 0345am and I have worken up after 40 minutes sleep because of pain. I am at 8 now and it's getting worse so have to take more meds just in case they may do something. Wish me luck - I'll be in work in 3 hours or so.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline christinaz

• Forum Faithful
  • hindsight is 20/20
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 07:33:57 AM »
Just a different way I was given a pain scale or sensation scale.  If good leg is $1.00, how much is the bad leg worth?  Sensation-wise.....Good leg $1.00, bad leg $0.15.  Pain-wise.....Good leg $1.00,  bad leg $10.00.

Just thought this was interesting and a different way of showing degrees of pain or sensation.

Christina
3 scopes rt knee, acl recon pt graft rt knee,  rev acl recon allograft rt knee,  Hardware removal, lysis of scar tissue, ITBS, sublaxation, sensory peripheral neuropathy, DDD, arthritis, RSD, mystery hardware, flexion contracture, disuse atrophy, muscular wasting, constant fatigue, acl recon lt knee

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 12:51:05 PM »
Good Leg  I spent no money on it..  Bad leg..  Just in the last week  180.00 for copay on brace..   45.00 copy for  three shots..    97.00  for 3 months of mobic  20.00 copay for doctor     ..
javascript:void(0);
Tongue   but I get your point on the money scale..   ..  ..

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 03:18:40 PM »
Hi all,
We went to bed last night and Don simply touched my knee and I jumped back. I hadn't realized it was so sore to the touch. And I did wake often, but nothing like big pain.
Laura,
This sounds unbearable and of course, we do carry on. I was able to quit working a few months ago. I couldn't handle the pain and how everything i did made it worse while at work. The good side is that I have time to take care of myself, to rest, to meditate, to go to therapy and yoga, to write. The bad side (besides no income!) is that I have so much time alone at home. Without distractions.
KneeDeep,
You are sounding really low in the last couple of posts. Are you ok? (more or less) I am worrying about you. Are you feeling overwhelmed with pain and/or treatments? Can we help?
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 03:37:29 PM »
To correct  :

I didn't say morhpine in the US is prescribed just like candy, I just told the situation as it was where I used to work :-\

Secondly Nurses aren't always those who won't help, we ask the drs what more we can give and if they say "wait" then we can't give anything. We can keep on asking, but if the doc says no it's no...  Some drs are better than others, we can only update on the patients painlevels and ask them to do something. We (in the ER) can't even give painmeds without a drs order, not even those that you can get without prescription... Some people don't undestand that, but it's the way it is. If they take it out of their pocket and take it it's ok, we can't give it.

Theresa,

I am sorry that happened to you! It shouldn't happen, but I know of several alike cases. I would not do that, even not after our hospital management told us once that "administration is more important than the rest, you HAVE to fill in the charts, no matter if you did something on the patinets or not" (they HAVE said that!) :o Can you believe that?? I said "no way, better not do it and so not fill in the chart then lie!" If I make mistakes or forget something, I am the first to admit it! We are working with people and lives here! Not selling chocolate or something else!

Sorry if I offended someone, didn't mean it to sound like that...
Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2006, 03:59:05 PM »
Another thought about pain meds. I'm not sure most of us are actually getting the ones that work! Otherwise, why would we be taking medications and still having so much pain? Doctors like to prescribe certain things, whether they work for you or not. Some of that, I'm sure, has to do with the government oversight.

As for living pain free, for many of us, that is impossible. Before my last surgery, my OS said the goal was to get my pain to a tolerable level. That worked for a while. Now my pain is worse (usually in the 4-6 range) and I have limited my activity to a bare minimum, so we are looking at further surgery.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2006, 04:44:33 PM »
Here's my thinking. IF Dr. Fulkerson can't do anything, then I need to try different meds. This isn't good this way. Also, I had a talk with my therapist about wanting to be pain free and it went in interesting directions. While that is a fine goal and should be stated, I agreed that I would be quite content with a lower pain level (3 or less) and much greater ability levels even if I couldn't do everything. I just want it to be MUCH better if perfect isn't possible. Is that too much to ask (of the universe)?
KatieO
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2006, 06:24:43 PM »
HI guys, I have been following this thread religiously because I totally understand living in chronic pain. I consider my last knee surgery a success because it did make my pain more bearable. I still hurt but not nearly as badly. I am weaning myself off of the MS Contin because it does not help. I have fibromyalgia and my hands (especially my left one) now hurt much, much more than my knees , if you can believe that . I am sooo frustrated. Nothing even slows down my hand pain. I am running low on meds and my doc is off until next wed. I dont know what I am going to do.   I personally dont understand the big commotion about Morphine. It honestly does not helpme. IV morphine helped in the hospital but pill form is a dud for me. Hydrocodone is like taking an asperin. I do have some demoral but it puts me to sleep and I still hurt. I dont know what else to try. I use ice and a TENS  unit but somedays (like today) nothing helps. I eat aleve like candy with no help. My stomach is going to start screaming at me soon. I have had my liver function tested and the drugs have not hurt it yet so that was good news.

Teresa, I have had good and bad nurses when in hospital. I think that you would be one of the best. I had one nurse post op on one surgery that did not speak much english and she ASKED ME  what medicine I was taking and when I was scheduled to have it again. I was in a lot of pain after that surgery so my mind was not very clear about such things. That has only happened once and it was horrible.  The orthopedic hospital that I use , they are really attentive. You never get any rest because they are constantly waking you up to ask how you are and check vitals. I know that it is good that they do it but shoot, when you get out of there, you are absolutely exhausted.

Helena, I was not offended if you meant me. I just dont see the hype about morphine, it doesnt help me. I so wish that it did.

I would write more bbut my hands are hurting terribly. I have to stop now.
later
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
One of the questions is, what pain med does work for knee pain, let alone the other issues we have. RSD is the toughest, along with fibromialgia (sp), I think. I also take Aleve and hydrocodone like nothing, but it is what I have. None of us can afford to go to sleep with drugs, except at night, which is nice. What about percoset? Is that as wimpy as hydrocodone? I don't know what is next up the list in usefulness without drowsiness. I know it is also very individual.
KneeDeep,
How are you today?
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 09:26:24 PM »
My dad happens to be a pharmacist.

I asked him once what was stronger than percocet. He advised Morphine.  I keep humming that song by Pink.

Pain medication should never be used as a sleep aid.  Ask your doctor for sleeping pills if you need to get to sleep.

Offline KatieO

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2006, 09:42:31 PM »
I do take something else for sleep. I can't remember right now what it is. Though wouldn't pain meds keep one from waking up in pain at night? Wouldn't it be as amazing to be off meds as it would be to be painfree? Sweet thoughts that I can't imagine.

How are you today???
Katie
5/98 twisting injury
7/03 LR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2006, 11:06:07 PM »
oh I am fine. Holding my own..  There is a big thunderstorm in Jersey now. . .I had my first orthovisc shot today.  Having some OA pain due to the funky weather.

I feel pretty positive about my action plan ..and my doctor mapped out what to expect..  A goal... we have.. Not to let this knee crap linger more than 2 years.  So I am doing the things I need to do .. Getting the pain control I need.  Getting stronger.. .. not as fast as I like at times.. But you know how that goes at least I have some piece of mind.

I am glad I have to see only one doctor who is getting to know me .and how I handle things.