Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: To all of you....  (Read 3337 times)

Iona_-Uk

To all of you....
« on: April 18, 2003, 11:58:23 AM »
Just to let you all know that we are all wonderfully special to be part of this community and that we hopefully will all be feee of knee problems & pain at some point in our lives.

I'd really like to thank Sheila for this site and for helping us so much with a very little understood part of the body & also all the mod's for their time & expertise.

I know it's hard to remain optimistic when life thows major spanners in the works with the knee problems but at least we are in compnay that knows & understand what we are going through.

Iona

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: To all of you....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 09:02:54 PM »
Here, here!!!

I know that when I'm hitting that spiral into the dark hole--that I can always come here and find someone to help me, to understand me, or someone who needs me enough that I can get over a hurdle...

We are blessed to have this community--and I am so thankful that the Kneeguru was so insightful to know there was a great need for this and get it going.  The emotional aspects of knee issues are big and I have a feeling not given much priority with others.

I learn and care and have lots of feelings.  This place helps me to get better with these parts that make up my life...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 10:56:54 PM »
Well said Sylvia

I'm with you, the emotional impact of having "ddgy" knees is just ignored by most medical pro's and to come somewhen which has been devised fr this very purpose it enlightening and magnificent.

When will we hit the magic 2000 members??

Iona

SL99

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 01:58:01 AM »
I just wanted to second what you said Iona, in that I feel exceptionally lucky to have this forum and the support of the wonderful, kind and warm people here.

I'd like to add my thank you KNEEguru for giving us a place to share out thoughts, fears, injuries, stories good and bad, get help and advice or even just offer a friendly hug. It's made such a huge difference to my life and I know for a fact I'm not alone in that sentiment. Thank you Sheila - you're a star.

http://ecardview.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/greeting.jsp?id=EG4149-361695-11524756

Here's to the 2000 members mark and continuing to help each other  :)

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 05:11:41 AM »
Honestly, if I didn't have this site I'd think I was losing my mind.

I probably would have believed my first OS when he said my ongoing pain after lateral release surgery was just from disuse and 'being afraid to trust' the knee again.  It wasn't.  I would have probably ended up crippled and seeing a shrink for my 'psychosomatic' issues LOL!

And worst of all, I probably would have agreed to let him do a lateral release on my OTHER knee as he was recommending.  He's a wonderful surgeon, but I don't think he quite has a grasp of stubborn, persistent PFS issues....

That's the best thing about this page--it gives the readers information so they can make their own decisions, instead of blindly trusting a doctor who may or may not have a complete understanding of the best treatments for certain conditions.  Unfortunately, we seem to scare a lot of people with our horror stories ;-) but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to think twice or thrice before having surgery on your knee!

Heather
« Last Edit: April 19, 2003, 05:11:53 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 07:20:58 AM »
Heather,

I agree with you on that thinking it through before the surgery--it is much better than secind guessing yourself after the fact or doubting your decision, because by then, it is too late to change your mind.  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 11:49:23 AM »
I think without the support of the members here I would have gone mad a long time ago, but the one thing I really value from the board is the HONEST opinions of the members.

Ok everyone has an individual story to tell about a proceedure you may undergo but that at least a more open answer to the ones your OS's normally give you.

Iona

Offline wendy

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 10:11:24 PM »
I tell you guys I really don't know what I would do without this board and others. I find so much information and help here that I can't find anywhere in my daily life.

I want to thank everyone who has read or answered any of my posts.  It means a lot!!!

Wendy
began running long distances at age 7. Now I have two knees that have given in to my abuse! 3 scopes, LRs, Patella tendon repositionings, and years of pain. PKR on both. Diagnosed with RSD 3/4/2003.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 01:27:38 AM »
I would be crazy if I didn't have this board. Plus, I'd be a lot more ignorant  and frustrated. I have learned so much here, and have been given such good advice! I'm sure I would have given up last year (after three years) when WC said I was at MMI, my OS said there wasn't anything else that could be done, my PM&R doctor said it was all in my head, and the rehab psychologist said I had to learn to accept it! As it stands now, I'm still not sure if I'll get much better, but I have a new OS and another surgery scheduled, so I have hope once again. Thanks to everyone!

Janet

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 01:48:56 AM »
I can relate to the WC thing....They haven't given me any problems...YET...but 2 months after my athroscopy 2 years ago my OS put that I had reached MMI.  That's one of the reasons I waited to go back when I had pain...because I knew that, although WC would pay the medical, I would have to use my own leave if I had to be off.  It's hard not knowing the WC medical standards that they look at when they're deciding about treatment, whether it's PT or surgery or whatever.  Guess I'll find out soon....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2003, 01:49:37 AM by dcakes »

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 07:14:35 AM »
I honestly don't know what I would do without this board! I probably wouldn't know anything about my knee condition and would be completely willing to go along with what any OS told me without asking questions or doing research. I learned so much from this site and everyone on it.

I also don't know what I would do without the support of everyone here. You are all so great and it's so wonderful to be able to come here and just get an encouraging word or an "I understand what you're going through"when I just need to hear that from someone who truly does. I am so grateful to the kneeguru for creating this place where we can all go for answers, to vent or to just find the support we need.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 09:28:54 PM »
This board has provided an unending supply of information, uplifting, understanding, and sympathy that I could not have found anywhere else.  I wish that there had been a board like this 12 years ago, when I was going through my first knee troubles, and I'm thankful for it every day now.  Kneeguru makes it possible, but just as important is each person who contributes... each one of you who posts an answer to someone's message when they are asking for advice, support, compassion, or information.

Thanks to all of you!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline need_help

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 08:00:48 PM »
I am new to this guru thing but as I read there are some very special people here, thanks.
Lt knee, injured at work and had surgery that was fair, now years later over compensation has caused damage to the Rt knee. High Tibial Ost. to be done soon on left.

Offline lizzivia

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
I want to say thanks to the folks who initiated this site! I am new here but in the short time that i have discovered KNEEGURU i feel somewhat empowered to forge ahead in search of  qualified  orthopedic care. Thank you. I now know that i am not alone when it comes to knee pain, limited mobility issues , pain management and the like. Its very easy to get so wrapped up in your own painfull existance that you feel no one else cares or understands. Family members sometimes even though they love you get tired of hesring you describe your symptoms and complaints.  I have found myself actually givinng and recieving encouragement here , and feel that my experiences here are actually therapuetic! once again, KNEEGURU thank you!