Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should I cancel my Scope in October?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Should I cancel my Scope in October?
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »
I saw my OS 2 weeks ago and he decided its be best to scope my right knee and will be having the scope done sometime in October. I am still undecided about if its worth having the scope done as I hear mostly bad things about key hole sugery and when I saw my OS for my 1st consultation in April he said try and avoid a scope if possible and if you can live with the knee problem then its best left alone.

I suppose I am modest about my injury as it does affect me everyday as I cannot run since October 2007 and knee always swollen and get pain on and off on the bottom of kneecap and lateral and medical side but get days when I hardly feel knee pain and there pinching/catching on lateral side of knee. I had a cortisone injection but it did not help and been going to the gym 3 times a week to build up leg muscles.

I just dont want to go through surgery for nothing if my OS finds knee is normal so would then ne better leaving knee untreated as sometimes surgery can make the knee problem worse rather then better. He did tell me he may go in and there nothing wrong inside the knee which would be annoying for me as then it would be a waste of time.

I know people that have had a scope done and made there knee problem even worse and would have been better off left untreated. I dont wont to be one of those people and worried that if I did go for a scope would end up with an even worse knee.

I was diagnosed with asperger syndrome in 2004 and get worried and anxeties easily and take olanzapine to calm mw down with less anxiety and this surgery in October is really freaking me out as I hate hospitals and the thought of surgery as I have a phobia of hospitalls and surgery and not sure if I can go through with it and might be best to cancel the surgery so I have less of a worry

I also would like knee problem sorted if possible and a scope would be the only way to see if it can be sorted as conservative treatment have failed.

I just dont know what to do now go for the scope or cancel surgery.

Maybe I just need reasurance and encouragement and maybe go for a scope

Nick :) {2009} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline bolanbiker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I cancel my Scope in October?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
Nick:

Your knee does not seem to be "normal".  Sounds like something is definitely amiss.  As for the surgery, arthroscopic (Keyhole) surgery just refers to the method used to do the surgery, not what was actually done.  Before arthroscopes, knee surgery was "open" (and sometimes still must be, depending on what is done), and you had large scars even for a meniscus trimming.  It all depends what the surgeon has to do inside your knee, and on the skill of the surgeon.  While it's preferable not to have surgery if it's not needed, it seems that in your case, something is definitely wrong, and if other testing can't determine what it is, a look inside is warranted.

I don't know what your options are regarding second opinions, but a second opinion from another OS could help (although it could muddy the waters, too).  How do you feel about your current OS?  Does he have a good track record?

There are no absolutes or guarantees, and sometimes you just have to trust your OS, your other care givers, and your knee to tell you what is right.

Best wishes,

the bolanbiker
Ultra-marathon cyclist
LK victim of phone cord 2/00
Chondroplasty sometime in 2000/01
LR in 2004
? PCL tear (who knows)
fastest one-legged cyclist in town :-)

Offline Jessyca

• Forum Faithful
    • Adventures of a College Student
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
I agree with the bolanbiker.  It sounds like something isn't quite right in there.  If you would be more comfortable, you could seek the opinion of a second OS.

However, be sure you aren't just trying to find excuses to avoid the hospital.  You will just be increasing your phobia if you do that.

Best of luck!
February 9, 2006 Fell skiing, knee twisted.
July 12, 2006 Arthroscopic surgery
October 23, 2006 Possible reinjury
January 10, 2007 Arthroscopic surgery
August 13, 2009 Bracing my knee until surgery in January
January 29, 2010 Arthroscopic surgery - LR/debridement

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »
Nick - I'm sorry you are feeling so anxious about this.  What you need to remember is this:  Mr Green took an oath to help people when he became a doctor - the first part of that oath is "first do no harm".  He is not going to operate on you unless he thinks that there is a chance to make things better.  He is one of the top surgeons in your area and has probably performed this operation thousands of times - he knows what he is doing.
You say you tend to be complusive and anxious about things due to your aspergers.  Can you make yourself become compulsive about following doctor's orders?  Can you make sure that you are doing everything necessary for a good recovery?  At work are you lifting things correctly so as to not endanger your knee or your back?  Will you be on crutches after the operation?  Are you working on improving your upper body strength to make using crutches easier?  Doing things in positive preparation for the operation may help with the anxiety.
I'm sending your a basket of hugs {{{{{{{{Nick}}}}}}.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
Hi Nick,

I am so sorry that your knee is bothering you and that you have so much anxiety about the solution.

What do you do to help you follow through with other actions you must take? Can you take this same approach? Is there someone you can lean on that would help you this time again?

I wish you the very best.

Connie

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies its nice to support one another on KG as we all know what its like to have a bad knee and how it can affect our daily lives. I do not want to be seeing another OS as I am satisfied with Mr Marcus Green who is one of the best knee surgeons in Birmingham and is excellent at his job as he has treated famouse sports men and women. The Warwickshire 1st cricket team physio refers his players to Mr Green as he has a private clinic as well as working for the NHS. I saw him in April for a private consultation and was impressed as he found where the knee pain was and was seems like a really nice guy. I then had a follow up consultation at the Birmingham Orthopaedic Hospital in June and saw his Assistant OS as he too busy to see all his patients and he came to the conclusion that I should go for a scope and went outside to chat to Mr Green and he agrees that surgery is the next course of action.

I would be very stupid to cancel the sugery as I had the injury for almost 2 years and wont get better without a scope and I am not looking forward to it but life not always a bed of roses and have to do things in life you dont like. I work as an assistant greenkeeper and on my feet alot of the time and do feel pain inside my knee at times and today felt pain at bottom of kneecap and the tibia so knee cant be normal and certain Mr Green will find the problems and hope he can fix it.

I am seeing an AS Pyschologist at the moment and will discuss the surgery with him as I have to go for it and will try not to chicken out of it as Mr Green only wants to help me out and in safe hands so should try not to worry about it too much.

I know the wost part will be on day of surgery just before going into theatre and going under GA which I am not looking forward to but have to go through with it if I want knee to improve. I would like to be able to run again one day and can at least try and see if a scope can fix my knee problem. I also know that knee might never be normal again and may not be able to run every again which woulkd be annoying but not the end of the world, be nice to get rid of the catching/pinching inside on lateral side of knee.

I waited long enough to make progress and be stupid to cancel the surgery and just have to face my phobia as we all have to face our phobia some stage during our lives. Mr Green thinks I may have done some damage at the bottom of kneecap as the pain was intense when he located it.

Nick :) {2009} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline bolanbiker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »
Sounds like you have a good plan.  I think almost all of us have had misgivings about having surgery done, even when it seemed "obvious" to us that it needed to be done.  There are no guarantees, and that's scary.  However, it sounds like you have an excellent OS who you trust.  Do the best rehab you can BEFORE the surgery, too, and have your leg and overall body as strong as you can ahead of time so that you have the best chance of a good result as you can.

It might help to write down all the reasons to get this done as you think of them, so that you can remind yourself of them any time you get "cold feet".  It's easy to forget why you need the surgery when you get anxious, but it's easy to remember when your knee is really bothering you.  Take a moment to jot down what is going on when it happens so you can remember what it feels like when things aren't right.  It's normal to second guess yourself during those moments when your knee feels OK (but really isn't).

Best wishes,

the bolanbiker
Ultra-marathon cyclist
LK victim of phone cord 2/00
Chondroplasty sometime in 2000/01
LR in 2004
? PCL tear (who knows)
fastest one-legged cyclist in town :-)

support