Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Mild RSD, CRPS  (Read 6097 times)

Offline stillhurting

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mild RSD, CRPS
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »
Hello Everyone

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with mild rsd, crps?   I am 12 weeks post op for medial meniscus tear and Plica removal.
I still have swelling, burning pain, red and blue knee,very shiny leg and yesterday after pool therapy at pt the therapist noticed that my toes were blue and purple almost black! Pain in kneecap when walking, burning pain, tingeling in foot and toes especially big toe, swollen foot.
I had told them before that the pool water made my knee and leg feel as though it has been frozen and is thawing out.  My os told me about 2 weeks ago that I had mild rsd, as though it could go away.   Well once I got home from pt I called his office and told them what was going on and they said that that don't have any appts. for over a week but that they would stay open late today to see me.

I find this really strange,  but am happy that I may get some answers.  I have decided that if he blows this mild rsd off again then I am going to try and see someone else.   I guess my  question to everyone is has anyone had mild rsd or crps and had it to just go away?

Thank you for any advice you can give

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Mild RSD, CRPS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
Hey !!

I have a severe form of it. The most important is coming under treatment as soon as possible.
Feel free ask questions and I will try help you.
This site gives a lot of information....
http://www.rsds.org/3/clinical_guidelines/index.html
HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:21:53 PM »
Hi, I had a plica removal 4 weeks ago. Still in alot of pain,although it is alot better than it was. Having physio three times a week. My physio has told me I have RSD. My knee is so sensitive, even my trousers rub,and it is very painful to touch. Physio massages it which makes me feel very sick! and it totally changes colour, it goes very red and hot, she says she has to desensitise the nerves,and they have to start acting 'normal' again. Sorry its not really advice, but I thought I would just tell you my experience. Hope you feel better soon and good luck. Lesley.
Arthroscopy-excision of synovial plica  24th April 06 (left knee)

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:49:17 AM »
I have RSD and have had it for many years. I took my current Dr 3 YEARS to get the RSD under some type of control so I can live with it the way it is and function how I want to.

Please beg your Drs to have you tested for RSD to confirm it with either a 3 phase bonce scan and a sympathetic nerve block as these 2 things will confrim if you have RSD and the nerve block will also help the RSD.  It is imperative that the RSD gets treated immediatly and although the PT helps....it is not tretament to redirect or refocus the nerve impulses that cause the RSD pain and symptoms....if RSd is treated adequately as soon as it is diagnosed it is strongly possible that it will go in remission and lie dormant and unsymptomatic.

Please go to this site   www.rsdhope.org and it will explain what RSD is, what treatment options there are and many other things including links to Drs and it is the most informative site there is now for RSD.

I don't mean to scare anyone or to be so blunt it is just that alot of Drs use RSD as an excuse but then never see if it really is RSD until it is too late for treatment to help.

Please feel free to contact me or post if you wish.

Good Luck!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline 68gto

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
What kind of Dr. would you see to diagnose RSD?         I've got the dark red leg and foot that will go purple along with the periodic pain, the kind you get when you froze your foot in the winter and then thaw it out. Also getting tingling in the toes. Some swelling in the leg, a lot in the knee.  Do RSD symptoms occur any time, whether you are upright, lying down, exercising, whatever? Or can they go away under certain positions/activities?   I saw a vascular surgeon because I thought there was a circulation problem his response was to "put a sock on it and wear long pants so you don't see the color". Thats not much help.   The OS ignores it by saying "you had a terrible injury and have to give it more time".

3/5/06  Fell off ladder
3/6      TPF  1 plate 8 screws - lateral TP Broke off
           in several pieces - immobilized 5 1/2 weeks
          14 weeks 5 days of NWB
6/9      PWB
7/21    FWB as tolerated
8/31    135 ROM
9/11    Arthroscopy - heavy meniscus damage
          no arthritis

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:22:25 PM »
How long since your injury and what did you do ? Have you had surgery ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline 68gto

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »
Nettan  -  12 weeks today since TPF/crush and surgery,  Still NWB trying to grow back 2.5cm of crushed bone.  There was a lot of manipulation trying to get bone chips that lodged halfway down the leg. I ask about the positions/exercises because I can get some relief with the leg elevated but not completely and its far worse in the walker/crutches.
3/5/06  Fell off ladder
          14 weeks 5 days of NWB
6/9      PWB
7/21    FWB as tolerated
8/31    135 ROM
          no arthritis

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 07:41:15 PM »
It can be so that your knee is still so affected after the surgery and injury that you can have these symptoms..I wouldn't worry. But if it persists when you are starting FWB you need to talk with your doc or if it get worse.

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »
A pain management Dr is one who can diagnose the RSD. They are usually anesthesiologists but can be neurologists as well.

Normally with RSD the pain is there no matter what position you are in..with me it was the same whether I was walking or elevated. I think due to your injury the increased pain while having the leg hang down such as when using cruthces is normal. It is a reaction of the blood flowing to the injured area.

Try and lok at the wwwrsshope.org site and it might explain RSD better to you.  RSD tends to be unrelenting burning pain no matter what you are doing or how the limb is positioned.

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline 68gto

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks Nettan/Cari for your repliies. I feel a little better about it.
3/5/06  Fell off ladder
          14 weeks 5 days of NWB
6/9      PWB
7/21    FWB as tolerated
8/31    135 ROM
          no arthritis

Offline qtkatie013

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 02:10:47 AM »
i was just diagnosed with mild rsd... in the early stages... i have tingling from my knee down to my foot.. especially around my big toe also!!!!  mine changes to a purplish color once in awhile... and i have terrible rash like bumps on it... very itchy.  i don't understand the itchy part!!!!  but i'm always in some kind of pain or discomfort  :-[
20 years old
March 2004-Plica Removal
September 2005-Plica Removed (again), Scar Tissue Removal
January 2006-Fulkerson Osteotomy
August 2006-Screw Removal
September 2006-Orthoscopic
October 2006-Diagnosed with RSD

support