Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Scope Knee or Continue PT?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline SirSteve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Scope Knee or Continue PT?
« on: April 17, 2003, 09:51:52 AM »
First off, I play beach volleyball. I have for the past 10 years up to this problem. I never had an injury were I felt I had to go to the doctor but after a year and a half of laying off playing and working out on my legs, the pain in my knee would not go away. It started swelling up after I'd try playing every 3 months or so to see if "time" would heal it. Nothing. I finally went to the doctor. I had a MRI done and found nothing is torn BUT I don't have much cartilage left and my knee cap has rough spots on the bottom of it. The doctor said this is most likely due to "over use" as I played nearly 3-5 days a week for 10 years. My Doctor does not recommend getting any surgery and says that I will always have problems with this knee. I have been doing physical therapy for the past month and I tried to go out and play (as I was told to do) but I still have pain when I go to jump (not to mention weak) but the swelling is no longer there. It was sore where I could not hardly life my lower leg up though... Any professionals out there can suggest anything? Should I get another opinion? Should I get it scoped/scrapped or just continue the physical therapy? My doctor also prescribed me a knee brace but I haven't gotten it yet.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Scope Knee or Continue PT?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 04:25:06 PM »
I think that you should try the PT and knee brace just a little longer.  About the only thing your OS could do with surgery would be to smooth out the rough spots.  Would it be possible to switch from beach volleyball, to regular volleyball?  I'm thinking that the uneven soft surface might have contributed to your problem.  I'll have to think about that some more.  Can you run?  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline SirSteve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 05:51:15 PM »
I would think indoor would be harder on the knee since it is a hard surface. No? Run? I haven't really tried but the physical therapist said running is not a good thing to do. I have been biking.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 06:26:59 PM »
With the sand being an unstable surface, your muscles have to work harder to maintain joint alignment.  With the patella, Your quads would be contracting with a greater torgue in order to stabilize the leg.  This would force the knee cap into the femoral groove and could cause the damage you described.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 01:32:44 AM »
Hi SirSteve
Welcome to the board.

Surgery is not an option to be taken lightly & I would only recommend you try it as a real last resort with the agreement of your OS.

At the moment you need to be building tone in your Quads & VMO to see if this has any effect on the pain you have, running is not the greatest exercise for knee problems but obviously your PT knows your capabilities & will tell you if this is suitable for you.

A scope is not always the answer because of the various complications it can involve.

From what you have said about your MRI results you may need surgery at some point however, don't rush into it, it's not sn easy recovery and you'd be best trying to do everything you can to strengthen the knee because even if you do end up on th table, having a stronger knee will give a better recovery.

Good luck
Iona x

Offline SirSteve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 01:37:16 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to get the prescribed "patella" knee brace. I have to get fitted for it in a few days. Maybe that will help... or cost an arm and a leg (no pun intended). ;)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 06:58:33 AM »
Hi There,

I'm definitely with Iona on this--surgery of any kind os not to be taken lightly.  If your doc is not recommending it or suggesting it, hooray.  That means either that you have a conservative doc who is not ready to yield a scalpel at first opportunity or that your doc's experience and expertise has combined with your symptoms to believe there is a better way to get you feeling better.  Healing knee injuries takes time--but recuperating from surgeries takes longer, oftne with long-term ramifications.

I know that it's tough, especially when your passions and interests are on hold, but try to be patient and go with the therapy.  I hope it does the magic your doc is expecting!  Good luck--Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 01:20:59 PM »
You may find that after a while with the knee brcae that your pain improves as you strengthen the knee.

Good luck