Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Back in physio...  (Read 1202 times)

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Back in physio...
« on: April 16, 2003, 02:56:30 PM »
...because my knee is still giving me stabby pains and stuff - mostly when sitting and particularly when driving.

And the diagnosis is: shortened calf muscle. It's causing my kneecap to put extra pressure on the inside of my knee while I'm walking and this is making it hurt when it's bent. So I've been given calf stretches to do.

Does this sound likely?

I'm not so sure because it hurts driving first thing in the morning before I walk any distance. I'm willing to give it a go, but I'm dubious - what does everyone else think?
I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Back in physio...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 05:56:42 PM »
Hi Katie

I know it sounds dubious, but it may help (in conjunction with everything else you are already doing).

My mother had ITBS and all she had to do were simple stretches for a few weeks and change her footwear...BTW is it bad if I hate her for this?  ;)

Try it and let us know how it works...I am having a similar problem so I may try it too! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 12:29:46 PM »
ITBS?

I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 12:45:32 PM »
Ah, I found an explaination. ITBS doesn't sound like it: I've got pain without moving the joint, mostly while sitting, and the pain is definitely on the medial side of the knee.

My physio did say that my leg is bending outwards slightly to compensate for the ostensibly shortened calf muscle, which would put more pressure on my medial condyle, which is the one I originally had the osteochondral lesion removed from.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 01:38:55 AM »
Hi Katie

I know what you mean about the stabbing pains, I've got that at the moment too an it's really frustrating, I've not got a shortend calf muscle like yourself so inevitably the pain will be different for you as it is for me but it is in a pretty bad way.

The calf stretches are a reallygod overall exercise as well as not being too much for the knee joint as a whole and also they're a good starting point for PT's.

Iona x

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 04:50:19 AM »
A shortened calf muscle would have no effect on the patella.  It attaches to the femoral condyles which are on the back of the knee.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

support